• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 8 - Reds v Brumbies

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No, right came on for Smith

Saw wilson go off and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) stay on so assumed former - point being in any case that Wright did not come on for ASY (Angus Scott-Young) as he stayed on for full 80 minutes which answers point if was not performing well wright would have replaced him

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I though Valetini was good tonight and, out of the two them, Valetini far more likely to step up to international level.

But ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had a cracking game. I wish he was more of a freight train. Or was two yards quicker so that would give him a point of difference in attack. He doesn’t have that and, when it boils down to it, he probably won’t even hold his place against Liam Wright (unless he is moved into lock). But Thorn would be loving what he is providing.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I though Valetini was good tonight and, out of the two them, Valetini far more likely to step up to international level.

But ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had a cracking game. I wish he was more of a freight train. Or was two yards quicker so that would give him a point of difference in attack. He doesn’t have that and, when it boils down to it, he probably won’t even hold his place against Liam Wright (unless he is moved into lock). But Thorn would be loving what he is providing.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) to me seems to be a player that is easily overlooked, but take him out and there is a bloody huge gap, an unsung hero for lack of a better term. I think Thorn would appreciate his dirty work

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was clearly unintended. It impacted nothing, including the tackled player. Yes in 2021 it's a penalty everyday of the week. But there is an alternate universe where it is considered a rugby incident - play on.

But yeah, Penalty for sure in the real world.

It is 2021, post CTE knowledge, slipping up is not an excuse.

What happened to the "Nipple line" that was suggested by world rugby a couple of years ago?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) made 16 tackles tonight, equal most tackles of any player in either team and didn’t miss any.
Now I’ve said it before his ceiling is probably super rugby, I just think it’s ridiculous to suggest he doesn’t offer much at Super Rugby level. He plays a key role in the team and that’s to do the dirty work that allow guys like Tupou and Wilson to sit off a bit in defence and so they can front up more in attack.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep I understand what you say, but it different when ball is dislodged by hitting the arm of carrier, and actually hitting the ball.
Well form what I have always understood anyway.

Surely in Rugby possession of the ball should be paramount?

I am not a referee, so will not argue the referee's decision, but do question whether advantage should be awarded to an attacking team attempting to score a try.

Super Rugby AU wants attack so much that a team that does not even score a try but is within 7 points can get a bonus point.

Surely the attacking player who is able to dislodge the ball should be allowed to take possession of the ball????

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) made 16 tackles tonight, equal most tackles of any player in either team and didn’t miss any.
Now I’ve said it before his ceiling is probably super rugby, I just think it’s ridiculous to suggest he doesn’t offer much at Super Rugby level. He plays a key role in the team and that’s to do the dirty work that allow guys like Tupou and Wilson to sit off a bit in defence and so they can front up more in attack.

He was also the singular reason the Reds only won by a few points with consecutive errors.

I get it. He works hard and lets the flashier players do their thing. He's still pretty average though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Surely in Rugby possession of the ball should be paramount?

I am not a referee, so will not argue the referee's decision, but do question whether advantage should be awarded to an attacking team attempting to score a try.

Super Rugby AU wants attack so much that a team that does not even score a try but is within 7 points can get a bonus point.

Surely the attacking player who is able to dislodge the ball should be allowed to take possession of the ball????

I think we could take a page from the NRL here and officiate between whether the ball was lost through a weak carry or ripped out.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He was also the singular reason the Reds only won by a few points with consecutive errors.

I get it. He works hard and lets the flashier players do their thing. He's still pretty average though.

I remember the 22m penalty, not sure what the other error your talking of is. In terms of key plays though he also secured a turnover on the Reds own 5m line in defence.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting he is a superstar or should be the Wallabies 6, I just believe he plays a critical role in the Reds team and is undervalued because he doesn’t do the sexy shit.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we could take a page from the NRL here and officiate between whether the ball was lost through a weak carry or ripped out.

Ripping the ball is part of rugby, it was not a rip, is was forcing a knock on.

I dont care either way, my team won and I dont want to sound like a sore loser but I dont think the ruling is what Rugby should be trying to achieve in its current laws.

Maybe we could take a page out of the NFL where possession is everything, if you dont possess the ball you cannot score, if you lose possession, you deserve a penalty

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ripping the ball is part of rugby, it was not a rip, is was forcing a knock on.

I dont care either way, my team won and I dont want to sound like a sore loser but I dont think the ruling is what Rugby should be trying to achieve in its current laws.

Maybe we could take a page out of the NFL where possession is everything, if you dont possess the ball you cannot score, if you lose possession, you deserve a penalty

Yes I know, and ripping the ball is also legal in rugby league 1 on 1, but they take the time to determine whether it was a legal rip or weak carry, they don’t just assume it was a knock on.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ok ASY (Angus Scott-Young) aside.

I though Asiata, Thomas and Daugunu made a strong impression coming off the bench.
And all starting players played well, but I was impressed with Flook, solid 80mins from the 19year old. Ran nice limes, defended well and showed good strength in contact.

Also good to see Petaia crack a smile at the end of the game, he earned it.

Top Bottom