• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 8 - Reds v Brumbies

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
FWIW - i'd have paid Hegarty's try, every day of the week. Smashing someone in the tackle and dislodging the ball, is just a good tackle. I'd be fuming if I were a Reds fan, that should have been a try.

Was a shame this wasn’t the ruling. The player making the positive attacking play was denied over a dubious ruling.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ok ASY (Angus Scott-Young) aside.

I though Asiata, Thomas and Daugunu made a strong impression coming off the bench.
And all starting players played well, but I was impressed with Flook, solid 80mins from the 19year old. Ran nice limes, defended well and showed good strength in contact.

Shit my pants re Flook at the start but he learned his role quickly and was very good. Asiata also very good.

Reactions: dru

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Ok ASY (Angus Scott-Young) aside.

I though Asiata, Thomas and Daugunu made a strong impression coming off the bench.
And all starting players played well, but I was impressed with Flook, solid 80mins from the 19year old. Ran nice limes, defended well and showed good strength in contact.

Yep, a young player who has the enthusiasm to provide the half time refreshments for the rest of the team, 'though in my day it was oranges:p

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is 2021, post CTE knowledge, slipping up is not an excuse.

What happened to the "Nipple line" that was suggested by world rugby a couple of years ago?

No idea on the nipple line. have not heard much about it nor seen anything much in terms of it being policed.

Anyway, we entered argumentative agreement some time back.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well getting up this morning and having my bacon and eggs I been thinking on the game, and how much I enjoyed it (and not just because Reds won), and have to say it was so good you almost wondered if they were playing the same sport as the Friday night game. Players were running and passing with purpose, noy just passing.!! There seemed to be a reason why they were doing what they were doing. I certainly think these 2 teams will make up the vast majority of Wallabies, and rightfully so, it will be a bloody good team. I do enjoy the way JOC (James O'Connor) is steering the Reds around the field, but I think their main strength is in forwards and thats a bloody good loosie set.
I repeat very very enjoyable game helped to cap off a bloody good rugby day starting at Club yesterday.

Only slight criticism is I really dislike this bloody 50-22 or whatever, let's just play rugby!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Some interesting game stats from stats guru:

https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats?gameId=593087&league=289272

Reds ran more, kicked from hand more and passed the ball more. But the Brumbies made nearly 25% more m. EDIT: and 172m, over 40% of the Brumby distance, was by Banks.

Reds possession was huge, over 60% in the first half but territory 50/50. So we had it, but at the wrong end. Certainly tweaks memory of struggling to exit and then enter the danger zone.
But we also took penalties rather than force the territory issue.

Penalties!! Brumbies gave away 15 to Reds 8. Reds have definitely been working on discipline.

Defenders beaten - Reds 28, Brumbies 13.

Tackles also tell a story. Reds 104/117, Brumbies 143/171. Brumbies working hard and missing more than McKellar will be pleased about.

Rucks: Reds 88/92 95%; Brumbies 73/76 96%. Odd that ruck work shows Reds worked harder and the tackles the opposite.

Reds with way more line outs than Brumbies.
1. Thank god we seem to have gotten over our line out boogie woogie.
2. The Brumby kicks were mostly to stay on the field.

Also 6 Red scrums to 2 by Brumbies. Sounds like Brumbies were avoiding set piece where they could. Funny how stats don't always tell the story you recollect. I though Reds had turned over a couple of scrums, at least to scrum penalties. The stats show all scrums successful with the feed.

Is it true that Nonggorr, Creighton and Creighton did not play? Brumbies fully used the bench.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some interesting game stats from stats guru:

https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats?gameId=593087&league=289272

Reds ran more, kicked from hand more and passed the ball more. But the Brumbies made nearly 25% more m.

Reds possession was huge, over 60% in the first half but territory 50/50. So we had it, but at the wrong end. Certainly tweaks memory of struggling to exit and then enter the danger zone.
But we also took penalties rather than force the territory issue.

Penalties!! Brumbies gave away 15 to Reds 8. Reds have definitely been working on discipline.

Defenders beaten - Reds 28, Brumbies 13.

Tackles also tell a story. Reds 104/117, Brumbies 143/171. Brumbies working hard and missing more than McKellar will be pleased about.

Rucks: Reds 88/92 95%; Brumbies 73/76 96%. Odd that ruck work shows Reds worked harder and the tackles the opposite.

Reds with way more line outs than Brumbies.
1. Thank god we seem to have gotten over our line out boogie woogie.
2. The Brumby kicks were mostly to stay on the field.

Also 6 Red scrums to 2 by Brumbies. Sounds like Brumbies were avoiding set piece where they could. Funny how stats don't always tell the story you recollect. I though Reds had turned over a couple of scrums, at least to scrum penalties. The stats show all scrums successful with the feed.

Is it true that Nonggorr, Creighton and Creighton did not play? Brumbies fully used the bench.
Yeah both never got onto the field. TT was gased at the end but he was giving everything in defence at the end there.

Reactions: dru

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
On the ASY (Angus Scott-Young) vs Valentini thing;

It's the first game I've watched this year but is it a fair abservation to say that Valentini spent a fair bit of time in the centres while Angus Scott-Young (ASY (Angus Scott-Young)) did not and therefore this might explain peoples opposing views on the two players?

Some of these opinions about ASY (Angus Scott-Young) seem to be personal, is this against the player himself or the posters who support him?

For what it's worth I didn't seem to notice Valentini in the second half anywhere near as much as I did ASY (Angus Scott-Young), and in case anyone asks the question, yes, I would prefer to have ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in the REDS team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
yes, I would prefer to have ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in the REDS team.

Hell yes!!

But the real question is whether Valetini deserves the gold jersey.

BTW You can't diss a player for being in the centres if that is where his coach wants him. Should the National coach want him tighter the issue will be if he can adapt. I'm guessing we'll get the chance to see.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) made 16 tackles tonight, equal most tackles of any player in either team and didn’t miss any.
Now I’ve said it before his ceiling is probably super rugby, I just think it’s ridiculous to suggest he doesn’t offer much at Super Rugby level. He plays a key role in the team and that’s to do the dirty work that allow guys like Tupou and Wilson to sit off a bit in defence and so they can front up more in attack.
And that my friend is why the roles players like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Hamish Stewart make for effective team cohesion in value they play for better team game and why you have rebels who despite the talent as a team lack cohesion. This is good coaching by reds in outlining key team roles for players like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Hamish Stewart. Really like how reds gelling together great team with clear player roles for the broader team.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hell yes!!

But the real question is whether Valetini deserves the gold jersey.

BTW You can't diss a player for being in the centres if that is where his coach wants him. Should the National coach want him tighter the issue will be if he can adapt. I'm guessing we'll get the chance to see.
My only problem with Valentini is he isn't a third line out target if Harry Wilson is selected at 8 that's a bit of an issue come line out time. This is the problem we have faced forever at 6 if we want a guy with impact then we lose LO targets if we choose a 6 for LO option we end up converting a lock or get a Hanigan who is very good at LO but prob a bit slow at test level for 6.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reg did an excellent job the other day in breaking down the respective work rates and effectiveness of the forward packs.

What it highlighted to me (something which should have been self evident on reflection) is that the Brumbies and Reds assign different roles to their players.

The Reds use their backrow as workhorses to do the grunt work and other members of the pack as the main thrusts of their attack.

The Brumbies do the opposite. Valetini & Samu are used more selectively.

I thought both Valetini & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had good games last night - both within the context of their roles in the team. Valetini made some good shots and a couple of good charges in the second half, but the tide of the game swung and both he and Samu were less prevalent. I’m not sure that can be pinned on those two individually though - anymore than the rest of their team mates, at least.

I thought it was a cracking game between two good sides and I’m not sure anyone on the field really diminished their standing in my eyes. The Reds tactics/game plan proved to be too good in the end - but it was a close run thing. Brumbies continue to be an excellent side and I can’t see them not winning through to the final. It’ll be a massive game. On last nights evidence the crowd should be capacity.

One final point on the analysis Reg provided. One thing it did underline is how outstanding McReight is. Very high work rate, but also genuine impact in attack and almost flawless in defence. I don’t want to have a crack at Hooper - the guy is a legend - but I personally hope that McReight gets some opportunity to start in a test this year. To my eyes he is something special.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My only problem with Valentini is he isn't a third line out target if Harry Wilson is selected at 8 that's a bit of an issue come line out time. This is the problem we have faced forever at 6 if we want a guy with impact then we lose LO targets if we choose a 6 for LO option we end up converting a lock or get a Hanigan who is very good at LO but prob a bit slow at test level for 6.

So pick Wells at 8.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) made 16 tackles tonight

Hi Adam, mate, where do you source your stats?

Stats guru gives ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 9 tackles and Valetini 11 (with another 2 missed). Brumbies had higher tackle count in the front row where the Red front row seems more engaged in general play.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interestingly on the ESPN stats Valetini’s tackle rate is slightly higher than ASYs - 11 to 9.

Harry Wilson 15 runs for 43 metres plus 7 tackles with none missed caught the eye too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought Valetini played well after having a couple of poor games the last two weeks, it was a timely game for him to return to form and show what he can bring against the top team. Samu played his standard game, he is obviously getting coached to sit in the wider channels but I’d like to see what he could do in a different game plan, and see how he goes playing a bit tighter as I think his current style might be at his detriment for Wallaby selection.

Brumbies back-row play well together but Cusack is definitely the weak link, he isn’t a bad player but I don’t think his style really suits the back row balance. They could use a Tizzano/Hardwick style player at 7.