• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State of Origin Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Bugger this SOO business - I still remember that first game Wendal Sailor put on the Tahs jersey at Suncorp. Pretty sure that was close to a full house and I don't think I've seen such an atmosphere at a game since then.

Find some more villains/heroes for the games and this whole SOO business is a waste of time. But that'd require not chastising players for speaking their minds in the papers!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Bugger this SOO business - I still remember that first game Wendal Sailor put on the Tahs jersey at Suncorp. Pretty sure that was close to a full house and I don't think I've seen such an atmosphere at a game since then.

Find some more villains/heroes for the games and this whole SOO business is a waste of time. But that'd require not chastising players for speaking their minds in the papers!

Courtesy of TOCC:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't know if SOO contest would work but I am for one glad people are at least at right levels thinking about opportunities for innovation in our game, new content etc. As such an idea may lead to another idea etc.....

I think it's a dumb idea. We already have NSW vs QLD regularly as part of the comp.

I would support NH vs SH but doubt that would ever get up given that the BI Lions don't want to play NZ every year...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it's a dumb idea. We already have NSW vs QLD regularly as part of the comp.

I would support NH vs SH but doubt that would ever get up given that the BI Lions don't want to play NZ every year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think it is good that Bill has said to NSW and QLD Presidents if they can make it work all good. Got to encourage any creative thinking.

I like the SOO as a concept as works so well in league and nothing wrong with borrowing what is successful or proven in other codes.

I hear people saying more challenging to perhaps make work in union especially given NSW and QLD already play home derby's. But would rather people look firstly at opportunities rather than constraints as union for years/decades suffered from lack of innovation so last thing want to see is attempts at innovative thinking shot down as pretty competitive sporting landscape operate in today and now days have to continually evolve and expand your product offering to survive.

If goes through some due diligence (whether brief etc or more detailed if initial sniff test shows has legs) than I am okay with them exploring whether any legs to it.

I personally think logistically would be hard to get of the ground for many reasons already cited. But again thinking about contraints not best place to probably start as if is a good idea that has potential you then find a way to get around the constraints.

With popularity and growth of world rugby particularly with 7's added to olympics etc now is the time to look at new opportunities to grow and be innovative with new rugby offerings. Whether that be SOO or some other new product e.g NRC 7's or whatever other innovative idea might work. I finally am glad to see ARU being on front foot on this so if State Unions also starting to look at more opportunities for product innovation even better.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think it is good that Bill has said to NSW and QLD Presidents if they can make it work all good. Got to encourage any creative thinking.

I like the SOO as a concept as works so well in league and nothing wrong with borrowing what is successful or proven in other codes.

I hear people saying more challenging to perhaps make work in union especially given NSW and QLD already play home derby's. But would rather people look firstly at opportunities rather than constraints as union for years/decades suffered from lack of innovation so last thing want to see is attempts at innovative thinking shot down as pretty competitive sporting landscape operate in today and now days have to continually evolve and expand your product offering to survive.

If goes through some due diligence (whether brief etc or more detailed if initial sniff test shows has legs) than I am okay with them exploring whether any legs to it.

I personally think logistically would be hard to get of the ground for many reasons already cited. But again thinking about contraints not best place to probably start as if is a good idea that has potential you then find a way to get around the constraints.

With popularity and growth of world rugby particularly with 7's added to olympics etc now is the time to look at new opportunities to grow and be innovative with new rugby offerings. Whether that be SOO or some other new product e.g NRC 7's or whatever other innovative idea might work. I finally am glad to see ARU being on front foot on this so if State Unions also starting to look at more opportunities for product innovation even better.

If they are looking for new opportunitiee during the June break then some kind of 7s or even 10s competition should be the go. I've watched the recent Opens and U17s Youth 7s National Championships and the infrastructure and talent is both present and developing. Why not build on it? They could either look to keep it domestic or get really ambitious and look to build links with Asia.

It would require some innovative planning of events but it could work nicely. Instead of running two day events they could look to fit everything into a 3 hour window with both mens and womens competitions running side by side.

If it's domestic then you take the 5 Super Rugby squads and look to add another. Ideally you'd look at Adelaide. Look to run the games in smaller venues where possible such as Pittwater in Sydney and Ballymore in Brisbane etc. Look to schedule each franchise to host one event each over the 4 week period.

Similar if you look to Asia. Take the 5 Super Rugby squads add the Sunwolves. From there look to also add Hong Kong and look to capitalise on the Ali Baba investment in the game by approaching them about adding a squad based out of say Shanghai. Singapore could also be an option. Again look for appropriately sized venues (they do exist). Again, run the events in 3 hour windows. Each locations hosts an event. Events played on Wednesdays and Saturdays for 4 weeks. This option would need more financial backing of course.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Similar if you look to Asia. Take the 5 Super Rugby squads add the Sunwolves. From there look to also add Hong Kong and look to capitalise on the Ali Baba investment in the game by approaching them about adding a squad based out of say Shanghai. Singapore could also be an option. Again look for appropriately sized venues (they do exist). Again, run the events in 3 hour windows. Each locations hosts an event. Events played on Wednesdays and Saturdays for 4 weeks. This option would need more financial backing of course.

The Brumbies have been looking at tapping into the Chinese market.........

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...per-rugby-push-into-asia-20161205-gt49m9.html

The Brumbies sent interimboss Phil Thomson and general manager Simon Chester to China last month on a business trip to investigate ways to break into the massive Asian market.

The Brumbies' major sponsor of the past two years, Aquis, is based in Hong Kong and the club is keen to play a match in China. E-commerce giant Alibaba has committed $100 million to grow rugby in China over the next 10 years.

Michael Thomson was the Greater China sports marketing director for Nike three years ago and the Brumbies hope his knowledge of the region will boost their mission.

"One of the things about the Brumbies, we need to get things right in Canberra," Thomson said.
"That is the most crucial things for us. One of the challenges we have is the size of our region.

"We've got good, loyal support here but we are constrained by the fact we're 500,000 people. As a result of that we need to look at how we expand the brand.

"The direct flights to Singapore open up doors and the Chinese are certainly keen on rugby with the $100 million that has been put in.

"We've got a brand that is recognised globally and that does provide opportunity for us. Lucky for me I spent two years in Shanghai working for Nike doing exactly those sorts of things.

"We'll definitely look at China, we'd be crazy if we didn't. But the first part of the focus has to be getting this community in Canberra sorted."

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Brumbies have actually been looking into playing in China....

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...per-rugby-push-into-asia-20161205-gt49m9.html

Iread that article and noted it also mentions the new CEO's links with China. I think it's something every at least Australian Super Rugby franchise should be looking to foster. I'd be fine with them looking to play trial matches in different parts of Asia. Spend the week leading in visiting schools, running clinics etc. Develop a profile for not only the game but their brands.

It's actually sort of why I suggested the Asian format. The opportunity to begin the ground work to tap into a significant growth market for the game in particular leading into 2019 and directly after it.

I was reading recently that WR (World Rugby) has something like £247m to invest in development leading into 2019. That's according to a currency converter around $411m AUD. I honestly think they should be looking to invest at least a third of that into Asia leading into 2019. And I think we should be looking to get in on the ground floor regardless.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Iread that article and noted it also mentions the new CEO's links with China. I think it's something every at least Australian Super Rugby franchise should be looking to foster. I'd be fine with them looking to play trial matches in different parts of Asia. Spend the week leading in visiting schools, running clinics etc. Develop a profile for not only the game but their brands.

It's actually sort of why I suggested the Asian format. The opportunity to begin the ground work to tap into a significant growth market for the game in particular leading into 2019 and directly after it.

I was reading recently that WR (World Rugby) has something like £247m to invest in development leading into 2019. That's according to a currency converter around $411m AUD. I honestly think they should be looking to invest at least a third of that into Asia leading into 2019. And I think we should be looking to get in on the ground floor regardless.
I agree I also read that article when first published and yes every super rugby franchise should have thoughts / consideration of Asian market as part of their growth plans.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Super Rugby ratings went south after the test windows and this has been proposed as a means to keep fans interested. I believe the new Reds CEO is pushing it hardest and NSW are open to the idea.

I think the main contributor to the ratings dropping right off after the Test window was how poorly the Aus sides were doing. They were maintaining interest because people were in the habit of watching games anyway. The test window comes along, they start watching somehting else and then don't come back. If we had 2 or 3 teams looking like qualifying for playoffs with a couple of them in the top 2-4 then the ratings would've been ok.

The State of Origin is a weird concept. Can't say I'm a fan. We have QLD vs NSW yearly anyway. Copying a league idea smacks of desperation and it will be reported by the prolific league media as us being the little brother to the glorious game that is league. Rugby in this country's equivalent is the Bledisloe.

Something to fill the test window would be good but I don't think this is it. Need to think outside the square a bit.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think the main contributor to the ratings dropping right off after the Test window was how poorly the Aus sides were doing. They were maintaining interest because people were in the habit of watching games anyway. The test window comes along, they start watching somehting else and then don't come back. If we had 2 or 3 teams looking like qualifying for playoffs with a couple of them in the top 2-4 then the ratings would've been ok.

The State of Origin is a weird concept. Can't say I'm a fan. We have QLD vs NSW yearly anyway. Copying a league idea smacks of desperation and it will be reported by the prolific league media as us being the little brother to the glorious game that is league. Rugby in this country's equivalent is the Bledisloe.

Something to fill the test window would be good but I don't think this is it. Need to think outside the square a bit.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A couple in the top 4 :D :D:D That's just too much..... this is the funniest post I've read in ages. That's what you intended right?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If they play this at Ballymore they better get working on the turf. Promo photo for the Brisbane 10s

IMG_4422.JPG

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A couple in the top 4 :D :D:D That's just too much... this is the funniest post I've read in ages. That's what you intended right?

2014 we had first, fourth and eighth, and the Force were only two points off the playoffs. It's far from laughable.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think SoO is the answer TBH, particularly without test stars. I think it will have a vibe/turnout that resembles City V Country more than Origin.

The answer is the frame and position the current NSW V Qld games better, to both the fans and the players (so they behave accordingly). We need to defeat the treatment of this being 'just another game'.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think SoO is the answer TBH, particularly without test stars. I think it will have a vibe/turnout that resembles City V Country more than Origin.

The answer is the frame and position the current NSW V Qld games better, to both the fans and the players (so they behave accordingly). We need to defeat the treatment of this being 'just another game'.
Funny just came on to this thread thinking that...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It's a great concept but only would work with ALL eligible players being picked, Wallabies included.

The theme has to be a Them v us. Push the passion. Light the fire. Love the "hate". Do not chose old legends. Don't overthink the concept.

I have spoken to several players and all would love to be involved, from NSW and Qld. Players from non NDW and Qld backgrounds miss out - stiff shit. It is simply a game between NSW and Qld lads.

Interesting that Israel wants to wear the maroon.

Suppose we could squeeze him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.