• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State of the Union (origin) discussion

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I maybe a curmudgeon, but I don't see a driving need for a rugby SOO

It is just copying the NRL and will never be anything more than the NRL's poor cousin

We need to work out stuff for Rugby, that resonates with rugby supporters

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The even playing field is that it is competition for winners of their domestic competitions to effectively determine a champion of champions. Exactly the same as the European Champions Cup.

I highly doubt any of the participants would be keen on some entrants being teams created just for the competition and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else that Australia's intention would be the State of the Union teams would be the entrants.

Obviously all teams in S8 are formed along the same lines for all participants. No one is suggesting anything different.

Its either the Champions League where say the Rebs and the Brums are the 2 highest ranked Aus teams and they play the top 2 NZ SA and Jap teams , and we immediately disenfranchise the majority of the Rugby supporters in this country because their teams are not involved.

IMO this only works if you have a 2nd division cup playing out at the same time keeping the fan engagement.

This concept is less marketable and will get less TV money and viewers.

OR

Each Country involved in S8 form up 2 selected sides (of eligible National players) from their domestic comp. Call them North & South - Coast & Mountains - what ever works. But 2 sides of test standard players.

This should be the next best rugby tournament on the planet after 6N and RC

IMO this will rate and be far more marketable and bring the TV $$$ because it keeps the total fan engagement

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I maybe a curmudgeon, but I don't see a driving need for a rugby SOO

It is just copying the NRL and will never be anything more than the NRL's poor cousin

We need to work out stuff for Rugby, that resonates with rugby supporters

Disturbing Avatar FP.

Did you lose a bet with Dismal?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

That's the idea.

If it's an incredibly poor cousin of the NRL it's still going to be a big financial win for rugby.

It needs to be billed as a blockbuster. A probables vs possibles sort of game doesn't attract the financial interest. It ends up being free entry at Leichhardt Oval and streamed online.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's part of the reason I'm a fan of a Green & Gold Series as opposed to SoU

It just feels a bit artificial that way though, need to bind players and fans to a team to have them really buy in. I do like the idea of All Stars vs. Passifika if we were going down that route. Has the added advantage of cleanly capturing every player, unlike QLD vs NSW.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's the idea.

If it's an incredibly poor cousin of the NRL it's still going to be a big financial win for rugby.

It needs to be billed as a blockbuster. A probables vs possibles sort of game doesn't attract the financial interest. It ends up being free entry at Leichhardt Oval and streamed online.

Agree - I think it would be crazy not to give SOU a go and to my mind much lower risk option to give a shot as leverages existing players from existing super rugby sides - ie creating rep teams for short form competition that does not interfere with other competitions - hence setup costs much lower - and feeding off already strong rivarly (NSW vs QLD) and proven concept in NRL that if could attract say 10% of that sort of audience (feeding of that rivarlry) would be financial win for rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was responding to a situation where the teams that finished 3 - 5 (or 6 or whatever) take part in their own competition at the same time as the S8 is being run.

I proposed that as an idea, to have a S8/10 plate or second division - but I haven't seen that even hinted at or proposed by RA.

which makes me think & hopeful that it might be 2 selective teams playing S8

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I also like other idea Hamish communicated in the article which is Bledisloe game on ANZAC day...

It is so refreshing to see this sort of fresh outside the square sort of thinking that this code desperately needs

Wonder what twiggy thinks of all of this as surely would be impressed given his team were trying to also provide more innovative out of the box thinking to reinvigorate the game in the region.

Grumped

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah. I actually like that idea. In fact, perhaps it could be used as a means for them to become eligible for the Wallabies. If they don't qualify under the Giteau Law.

Regulation 9 anyone?
And unless there is a test series in April, NZ won't agree to a mid-season Bledisloe at that time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is simply RA/McLennen fishing for free to air content. Don't think any FTA wants Super Rugby so this is just them showing that they can be flexible and innovative to potential broadcasters.
They'll keep throwing out ideas, like chumming the water to attract sharks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Regulation 9 anyone?
And unless there is a test series in April, NZ won't agree to a mid-season Bledisloe at that time.

Yeah, they're not actually going to be able to play unless it is during their offseason when their clubs don't have control over them.

Grumped

Bob McCowan (2)
This is simply RA/McLennen fishing for free to air content. Don't think any FTA wants Super Rugby so this is just them showing that they can be flexible and innovative to potential broadcasters.
They'll keep throwing out ideas, like chumming the water to attract sharks.

Good point Reg.
If there are no Wallabies tests this year due to COVID-19, there will have been no professional rugby broadcast in prime time on FTA since the 2019 RWC (19th October for the Wallabies) until sometime in 2021.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thinking up a QLD side based off overseas players being allowed.....:

1. Slipper
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Rodda
6. Wright (c)
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. Genia