• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State of the Union (origin) discussion

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
i'm sure there would be a decent portion of fallen diggers that would love the fact they're remembered/celebrated by a service then watching a game of footy with mates and a beer

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
i'm sure there would be a decent portion of fallen diggers that would love the fact they're remembered/celebrated by a service then watching a game of footy with mates and a beer

hmm... diggers don't want companies and organisations profiteering off a day reserved for honouring the fallen.

If a game is done to celebrate the ANZAC tradition and hour it respectfully then that's fine. If it's just a marketing gimmick, which the NRL & AFL have certainly leaned towards in their over the top celebration of the event, then that's when people start getting annoyed. NRL awarding 'ANZAC Day Medals' to players, flied a bit too close to this for my liking.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd love to see this as a <u23yr old v >23yr old match. Just to put something more around it.

Surely everyone would be going for the young blokes.

I kinda missed this as thought you were saying u23 match but instead u23 vs over 23....Hamish I reckon you would like your thinking - as these are unusual times...the glass half empty could just throw this out - the glass half full is could consider this for at least a second - and if not grow into some idea....

Innovation is the name of the game my friends for what is a competitive sports landscape as pro rugby is effectively a business with products, customers and competitors - and other pro sports well understand that - rugby sadly is lagging - especially in this part of the world - but that can change as the world product is very good and point of differentiation that others could only salivate about.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
hmm. diggers don't want companies and organisations profiteering off a day reserved for honouring the fallen.

If a game is done to celebrate the ANZAC tradition and hour it respectfully then that's fine. If it's just a marketing gimmick, which the NRL & AFL have certainly leaned towards in their over the top celebration of the event, then that's when people start getting annoyed. NRL awarding 'ANZAC Day Medals' to players, flied a bit too close to this for my liking.

Yeh got to be careful on how game done....I agree completely on that. To my mind the WOBS VS AB on ANZAC day as opportunity to be completely respectful but yes needs to be careful to honour traditions ie no ANZAC Day medals to players please

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It is sacred. Traditionally starts with a service of remembrance and then everyone goes to the pub and gets pissed and gambles. I really can’t see a proper ANZAC game of footy getting up anyone’s noses, outside the NRL and AFL. It would work 1000%.

Yep mate, I understand that is AZAC day for some people, and good on them, you probably right , I am probably in a small minority who likes it to be left alone. In saying that I not going to jump up and down if they do decide to go with it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Under 23 (turning 23 or turned this year)

1. Angus Bell
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Pone Fa'amausili
4. Darcy Swain
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Liam Wright
7. Fraser McReight
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. Will Harrison
11. Tom Wright
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Jordan Petaia
14. James Ramm
15. Jack Maddocks

16. Tom Horton
17. Harry Hoopert
18. Harry Johnson-Holmes
19. Angus Blyth
20. Rob Valetini
21. Ryan Lonergan
22. Noah Lolesio
23. Joey Walton

This could be a RWC 2023-2027 team...

Over 23

1. James Slipper
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5. Matt Phillip
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Michael Hooper
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Jake Gordon
10. James O'Connor
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Marika Korobiete
15. Dane Haylett-Petty

16. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
17. Scott Sio
18. Alan Ala'alatoa
19. Rob Simmons
20. Pete Samu
21. Joe Powell
22. Andrew Deegan
23. Reece Hodge

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Under 23 (turning 23 or turned this year)

1. Angus Bell
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Pone Fa'amausili
4. Darcy Swain
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Liam Wright
7. Fraser McReight
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. Will Harrison
11. Tom Wright
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Jordan Petaia
14. James Ramm
15. Jack Maddocks

16. Tom Horton
17. Harry Hoopert
18. Harry Johnson-Holmes
19. Angus Blyth
20. Rob Valetini
21. Ryan Lonergan
22. Noah Lolesio
23. Joey Walton

This could be a RWC 2023-2027 team.

Over 23

1. James Slipper
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5. Matt Phillip
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Michael Hooper
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Jake Gordon
10. James O'Connor
11. Filipo Daugunu
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Marika Korobiete
15. Dane Haylett-Petty

16. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
17. Scott Sio
18. Alan Ala'alatoa
19. Rob Simmons
20. Pete Samu
21. Joe Powell
22. Andrew Deegan
23. Reece Hodge

I like this as would definitely have some intrigue - If RA need to look at alternative fixtures to fill the void this yes could be a match up series to consider. Sell this with a state of union interim package for this year maybe.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

How good would this be if we keep it strict?

JJH pulled out of Shute, Harry Lloyd getting more of a run at LH for ACT.

Rather than just jamming everyone in, make it mean something.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the babies would get flogged

Agree. The old heads would be taking the scrum option every chance they had. The under 23 front row aren't known for their scrummaging. Maybe up the age category a year so Taniela and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can swap teams would help even the playing field a little

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Agree. The old heads would be taking the scrum option every chance they had. The under 23 front row aren't known for their scrummaging. Maybe up the age category a year so Taniela and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can swap teams would help even the playing field a little

Tupou is just turned 24. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is still 23. Rodda is 24. If this was played at the start of the year the 23s would be pretty handy.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Its a silly idea, and shouldnt happen.

Green and Gold teams are also a silly idea, proposed by myself in jest. But some people here thought it had merit.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
So league are looking at tweeking SOO eligibility - Perhaps Vlandys has been reading this thread

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/39bc9779d89b21eb8e5587d7baa27eb4

“Because there is also a bit of debate going on at the moment about State of Origin eligibility.
“Should players from Polynesian countries who play for the Polynesian countries be allowed to play State of Origin? We’re reviewing that as we speak.
“The NSW coach has been vocal with me that we should have the best players in the State of Origin and I agree wit him. So we need to look at that. I think it’s a pretty stupid rule where we force all our players to play for Australia. If they want to play for Tonga or Samoa, let them. Because that only strengthens the international game.
“But don’t stop them from playing State of Origin and the New Zealand players for that matter. So the international (schedule) may have to work around that.”

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I saw a suggestion from Matt To'omua on instagram of a Pasifika vs Non-Pasifika (or an alternative name).

His post below:

"Few of the guys have been canvassing ideas of potential matches in Australia.
An idea of a Pasifika Team vs Non-Pasifika Team (any ideas of a better name? Can’t be Palagi!) came about.

So, here’s the go.
I have picked my 2 starting XV’s.
Pick your 2 teams and tag me in the post [COLOR=rgba(var(--fe0,0,55,107),1)]@m.To'omua[/COLOR] Whoever is closest to my 2 teams gets a signed Wallaby Jersey.

Rules:
- All players from Super Rugby AU clubs are eligible.
- Pasifika Team includes Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Maori, Cook Islands, Tahiti, Niue etc.

Have fun with it.
I’ll start you off with a hint. I am selfish and picked myself at 10 for the Pasifika Team

I will pick a winner in the next couple days and announce it on my story. Tag Away!

"

Given that approximately 50% of the World Cup squad last year was of Pasifika heritage, and that Pasifika rugby gives a lot to Australian Rugby I think it's a suggestion worth exploring as a SOU substitute.