• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He has lifted him from the ground though. His action of pulling his upper body towards the ground lifts his legs off the ground and above the horizontal.

I don't think it matters that he hasn't lifted his whole body vertically before bringing him to ground.

The actions in the clip above seem to be fairly accurately described in the charge:

Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
He has lifted him from the ground though. His action of pulling his upper body towards the ground lifts his legs off the ground and above the horizontal.

I don't think it matters that he hasn't lifted his whole body vertically before bringing him to ground.

The actions in the clip above seem to be fairly accurately described in the charge:

but that comes back to my original point, if i give you a big ass push and your feet come off the ground does that not accurately fit your description of a lift? (apart from the horizontal bit which is irrelevant for this part of the argument)

dont think we are going to agree on what constitutes a lift but regardless it was dangerous and deserves some form of suspension but im with the brumbies on this one hoping he may get a downgrade/get off on a technicality of what is defined as a lifting tackle

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Is it a tackle if the player dont have the ball? Whats the rule there?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
You mean he wat trying illegally to stop Speight getting illegally to the breakdown. Get real.

how can you preemptively say Speight was going to illegally enter the breakdown???

besides that he was playing a man off the ball, which ironically is part of the reason why you are so upset with Speight

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
how can you preemptively say Speight was going to illegally enter the breakdown???

besides that he was playing a man off the ball, which ironically is part of the reason why you are so upset with Speight
watch the replay and open both eyes. Look where JdJ is standing. There is a rule which state from where you need to enter a breakdown.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yes because the first charge is playing a player without the ball which is dangerous play. From a technical standpoint I think that's how the laws are applied to make the dangerous play tackle laws apply when it isn't actually a tackle.

It's similar in that sense to the Liam Gill offence on Nic White earlier in the season where he was suspended for picking up White and flipping him over the ruck.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Law 10.4 (j) doesn't mention a tackle, while plenty of other foul play clauses do (eg e).

Not having the ball may be an aggravating factor, though I think you have to expect being taken to the ground in a ruck in pro rugby these days. It happens nearly every time.

I reckon medium range (6 weeks) + 2 weeks deterent + no mitigation because he fought the charge. So 8 weeks. Misses the remainder of the Super rugby and all of the TRC + Bled.

We should have a sweep.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
watch the replay and open both eyes. Look where JdJ is standing. There is a rule which state from where you need to enter a breakdown.

you are taking the piss surely, to begin with De Jongh is never standing he is always in motion, secondly it is De Jongh who is in a offside position initially when he starts contact with Speight, Speight was more or less directly behind the ruck, De Jongh changes his running line and illegally runs Speight off the ball, even going as far to turn his body to shield speight from the ruck then speight retaliates. Where Speight flips De Jongh is not where he was trying to enter the breakdown, he does that purely as retaliation and to get rid of De Jongh

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Hmmm, I still cant believe the language that these South African commentators use. Speight definitely in the wrong there but the commentators have absolute vindication/satisfaction in their voices when they talk about his punishment.

Stormers player milked it hard as well.

Which channel were you watching?

Fox Sports had the Aussie commentary.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I saw something on the net where referee Barnes was discussing spear tackles and said for it to be a spear, you actually have to lift legs, don't know if that's right or wrong, but I suspect strongly that the dangerous part will come in with Speight appearing to drive down on him. Anyway I didn't think it was flash, and so will be interested to see outcome.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Law 10.4 (j) doesn't mention a tackle, while plenty of other foul play clauses do (eg e).

Not having the ball may be an aggravating factor, though I think you have to expect being taken to the ground in a ruck in pro rugby these days. It happens nearly every time.

I reckon medium range (6 weeks) + 2 weeks deterent + no mitigation because he fought the charge. So 8 weeks. Misses the remainder of the Super rugby and all of the TRC + Bled.

We should have a sweep.
I remember Bakkies getting a long time for entering the ruck wrong, its small fry compare to the Speight incident. Hope he get a long time. Looked pretty stupid after receiving his red card.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Bakkies and Henry are hardly in the same league. Bakkies was a serial thug, and a frequent visitor to the judiciary. This is Henry's first offense. A cleanout or tackle gone wrong can't be compared with eye gouging, biting, and head butting.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I remember Bakkies getting a long time for entering the ruck wrong, its small fry compare to the Speight incident.
Your going to have to be more specific ;)

Was that the 2 weeks for smashing Waugh, the 2 weeks black armband hit on Jones, the 4 weeks for launching at Aplon, or the 9 weeks for headbutting Cowan in the ruck?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
"Bakkies was a kind-hearted gentle boy, tall for his age, who loved catching butterflies and flying kites in the summer holidays. He tripped and fall awkwardly on the rugby field once or twice. Sometimes the field can get a bit slippery."
--Mrs Botha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom