• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surprisingly the Brumbies are taking the risky move and going to fight the charge by insisting that it technically wasn't a "lifting tackle", which upon reviewing it for the first time since the game - it wasn't.....

speight.gif

But he's still landed on his head, and at best I still can't see anything less than 3-4 weeks.....

I'm not sure if this is the right move from the Brumbies to be honest.... he might cop a much harsher ban now.

It looks more like a judo throw, what Ray Price copyrighted as the "Cumberlabd throw", 4- 6 weeks

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I thought Peyper had a very good game. I can't think of anything he got wrong. Same the TMO? What on earth are you complaining about.

The TV director on the hand..

In hindsight probably wasn't as bad as what I initially thought although.....

The difference in the "use it" call between teams was massive, penalised fardy for being offside at some stage in the second half when he was about 3-4 metres onside, thought the high tackle on mogg was rough that sort of tackle when a player isn't 100% upright happens multiple times a game! and the TMO saying that speight performed a lifting tackle??? Didn't lift him at all it was a throw and failed to recognise or mention that it happened as a result of the stormers 13 being offside and trying to impede speight

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Speight clean out/tackle/WTF do you call it looks worse with every viewing if I'm honest. He'll get plenty I think.

I think so too. I wouldn't be surprised if they find that it is in the medium range of severity rather than low range. He lands de Jongh pretty heavily on his head.

I don't think it really matters that Speight didn't lift him up off the ground much. de Jongh's body goes well beyond the horizontal and he lands on his head which is what I think they will focus on.

It doesn't matter that it wasn't a tackle. It's still the law that deals with it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's close to being bad but Carr got pretty low so in the scheme of things I don't think Vaea's knee is raised that high that you could consider it foul play.

The injury to Anthony Tupou in the NRL from a similar incident was horrific. In that case, the ball carrier, Konrad Hurrell got a three week ban but I think he lifted his knee higher than Vaea did.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I think so too. I wouldn't be surprised if they find that it is in the medium range of severity rather than low range. He lands de Jongh pretty heavily on his head.

I don't think it really matters that Speight didn't lift him up off the ground much. de Jongh's body goes well beyond the horizontal and he lands on his head which is what I think they will focus on.

It doesn't matter that it wasn't a tackle. It's still the law that deals with it.
Will be interesting to see how technical they go with the defence and whether that is accepted by the Judiciary. The and is a pretty crucial part of that sentence

Lifting a Player from the ground and either dropping or driving that Player’s head and/or upper body into the ground whilst the Player’s feet are off the ground

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Surprisingly the Brumbies are taking the risky move and going to fight the charge by insisting that it technically wasn't a "lifting tackle", which upon reviewing it for the first time since the game - it wasn't.....

If he gets off on THAT technicality, then the system is utterly broken.

He's got one hand on the back of the guy's neck so how he hopes to escape sanction is beyond me. If he does, then whoever represents him is standing for me when I go postal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Speight ended up getting 8 weeks or something crazy it could seriously jeopardise his RWC selection.

Challenging the charge certainly adds to that risk of getting a longer ban.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If he gets off on THAT technicality, then the system is utterly broken.
Absolutely. But that seems to be what they are arguing.

Brumbies chief executive Michael Jones said Speight wanted to clear his name as he felt he didn't lift Cape Town Stormers captain Juan De Jongh in the incident that saw him red-carded with six minutes to go in their qualifying final on Sunday morning (AEST).

The charge is "lift and drive into the ground". They seem to be hoping that no lift => not guilty

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely they're going to lose that argument badly.

De Jongh's feet go from being on the ground to being up in the air due to the actions of Speight. Surely that is the lifting.

Shame the hearing isn't until tomorrow afternoon. We've got another day of arguing semantics and speculating on the suspension.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
The Brumbies look such a better side when they run the ball and play rugby
Sort of makes you wonder if Larkham has been foxing a bit with all their tries from mauls.They certainly looked a different team in this game.
Very impressed with all their forwards,with Fardy and Vaea outstanding.In the backs,agreeably surprised by White,Mogg(never been a fan of either)and of course,Tomane.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Surely they're going to lose that argument badly.

De Jongh's feet go from being on the ground to being up in the air due to the actions of Speight. Surely that is the lifting.

Shame the hearing isn't until tomorrow afternoon. We've got another day of arguing semantics and speculating on the suspension.

if i push you so hard that you become airborn does that also count as being lifted? In that case Tomane may need to be cited too

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
if i push you so hard that you become airborn does that also count as being lifted? In that case Tomane may need to be cited too

It wasn't a push though. He grabbed hold of de Jongh and flipped him so that his feet ended up in the air and his head impacted with the ground.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Congrats to the Brumbies and their supporters. They were by far the better team on the day. Good luck going forward.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Strangely how the same lot complain when their player get red but claim red when their player is on the receiving end. Its strange how dumb Speight is to think he'll get away with that shite. You can class him into Bakkies catogory of stupid.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
It wasn't a push though. He grabbed hold of de Jongh and flipped him so that his feet ended up in the air and his head impacted with the ground.

no it wasnt but i was just following your logic that a players feet leaving the ground equates to a lift, which i dont think is correct. Looking at the replay there looks to be no upward movement by speight or any attempt to lift De Jongh.

Status
Not open for further replies.