• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Look up the Waratahs record vs the Highlanders in Sydney vs the Stormer. Stormers have a game to hurt us, the Highlanders don't. I don't think their pack will handle ours. Only lost early in the season to them as we couldn't catch a ball.

Highlanders pack last night was outweighed by the Chiefs by 45kg. But they still managed to at least break even at scrum time, and were better in open play. Then with the world's best No 9 behind them and the World Rugby Player of the Year at the back, they will not be a pushover for the Tahs.

Still, there's a slight chance of an all-Aussie final, so best of luck to both the Tahs and the Brumbies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tahs supporters should be angry. They lost a great opportunity to face these weak Stormers for an easy ticket to the final
I'd rather see an Oz team win. If the Tahs want to win the comp, they have to be able to beat the Highlanders, so I'm happy for a Brumbies win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Stormers will be disappointed with that game, i guess its the risk of resting so many last round, they looked really disjointed and out of sorts. Lineouts probably cost them the game. Brumbies were allowed to run rampant and it probably flattered them a bit. Huge ask against the Canes next week, I cant see them being good enough to win, but hopefully they wear them out a bit for us!!

The slow, spoiling game favoured by the Stormers (and the Force) has its limitations. The Brumbies have been criticised this year for being forwards based, but their game has always been up-tempo and positive. Brumbies simply outmuscled them in the tight stuff and were able to then speed up the game and the Stormers just couldn't keep up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The slow, spoiling game favoured by the Stormers (and the Force) has its limitations. The Brumbies have been criticised this year for being forwards based, but their game has always been up-tempo and positive. Brumbies simply outmuscled them in the tight stuff and were able to then speed up the game and the Stormers just couldn't keep up.

And that really is the point: the Stormers game plan has gotten them to finals in the past, but it has a low ceiling. You play to that ceiling all season long, and you can't build into finals like other sides can.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies looked focused brilliant effort... Massive game next week in the Cake tin... What will happen to Speight? not intentional but clearly tipped the opposition winger. Who looked like the rugby version of a soccer drive looking for a plenty with Henry playing him off the ball around a forming ruck... Oh well it was cape town after all... Henry maybe watching next week sadly...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
4-6 weeks minimum for Speight. It's unfortunate, but I can't see him getting off with much less. Looks ugly by itself, off the ball doesn't help.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I can't see anything less than 4 weeks for Henry. The recent suspensions from SANZAR have started to be very damning on the 2 week added deterrent not having any effect so can expect a harsh penalty.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That was a great game from the Brumbies. Where has that game been hiding all year? They played a far more rounded game than anything we have seen previously to this point. Must be the ultimate in keeping the powder dry for the finals?

Tomane has greatly improved his game with regards to ball security, ability with the high ball and defence. A genuine lock for a a Wallaby start now IMO.

The Brumbies second row and not the front was the issue in the scrums from what I could see in the coverage, which was a bit of a surprise given the total dusting Alexander got when these teams last met.

I thought Mogg in particular had his best game in two years.

Two cracking games this weekend. The absolute best of Super Rugby on display and justifying IMO the contenders for the the title this year.

It will be interesting to see who the Brumbies select next week with Speight sure to be suspended for 2 to 4 weeks (4 I'm thinking in line with Liam Gill - 2 weeks for clean record + 2 weeks for deterrence directive from World Rugby in the usual Judicial flim flam) and To'omua under an injury cloud and becoming a backs version of TPN. I wonder who they will pick to mark up on J. Savea, it is a huge task for Coleman. I'd rate a Savea a greater threat one on one than Nadolo.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Congrats to the Brumbies - well and truly the better team on the night. They certainly turned up mentally for this one and they set the tone for the game very early with Tomane's try within the first 3 or 4 minutes. Whether or not they were the better team over the whole season is debatable, but it means nothing now as the Brumbies move onto their semi final in Wellington and the Stormers are left to rue what could've been (again).

Not sure what happened to the Stormers but they certainly didn't turn up for this one and had their worst game in some time. They were missing their two most experienced players in Vermuelen and Burger and this certainly didn't help them, but injuries are no excuse in this competition.

Their lineout was absolutely woeful and that was probably what cost them the game. They could not build any sustained pressure on the Brumbies - they rely on a territory based kicking game, and that can't work if you don't have a functioning lineout!

What was it, 9 or 10 lineouts that they lost on their own throw? The majority were unforced errors with Mbonambi completely clearing his jumpers time after time. On a number of occasions they seemed to be building a little bit of momentum, won a penalty which was kicked into the Brumbies 22, only for the lineout to be lost, and Mogg to boot them 50m back down field. Shambles.

Pocock and Fardy also had a field day at ruck time and without Vermuelen, the Stormers do not have anyone who is able to compete for the ball on the ground. But regardless, the Stormers were nowhere near effective enough in their cleanout, which should've been a key area of focus given this is a well known strength of the Brumbies.

Good luck to the Brumbies for the next game. I suspect it will be very tough for them with all the travel they've got to do before taking on a fresh Hurricanes team in Wellington.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Not sure what happened to the Stormers but they certainly didn't turn up for this one and had their worst game in some time. They were missing their two most experienced players in Vermuelen and Burger and this certainly didn't help them, but injuries are no excuse in this competition.

Their lineout was absolutely woeful and that was probably what cost them the game. They could not build any sustained pressure on the Brumbies - they rely on a territory based kicking game, and that can't work if you don't have a functioning lineout!

It's always a tricky decision whether or not to rest your first choice line up for a meaningless match before a big one, but you have to consider who you're playing and what their prep has been and I suspect the brumbies, fresh from a bruising encounter with an in form Crusaders and yet injury free were just simply more battle hardened and prepared for a finals match.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Speight was shown a red card against the Stormers after an off the ball incident in the 74th minute where he appeared to tip tackle Stormers captain Juan De Jongh.

Sanzar have confirmed Speight's infringement of Law 10.4 (e) being "Dangerous Tackling, Playing a player without the ball is dangerous play.

Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play."

The case is to be considered in the first instance by SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Nigel Hampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.