• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He'll be shot into the sun - 4 weeks minimum, probably 6 given it comes on the back of other incidents.

UNLESS the judiciary are drinking homebrew that night and decide to roll a dice to see what they come up with.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Entry level is 4 weeks...........

So he'll get half the sentence reduced because of his clean record, but another 2 weeks tagged on as a deterrent.........

It will depend on which formula they use -

Latu = 4 / 2 + 2 = 4 weeks

Horne = 4 + 2 / 2 = 3 weeks

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Where are all the ebullient pre game Stormers fans?

(cricket noises ....)

Sleeping off their disappointment.

Congrats to the Brumbies. As a Stormers supporter I agree completely with Brisbok's comments above. This game exposed many of the Stormers' weaknesses.

They are very reliant on Vermeulen and without him there they are a far weaker side (not an excuse, it is weakness to be so reliant on any one player). The team that started last night only had one Springbok starter, Etzebeth, and the lack of quality did show.

Brumbies this week and the sharks last week exploited the stormers weakness in the back field, gaining a lot of territory and momentum with kicks over the top. I don't think the problem lies with the personnel in the backthree (though it isn't really a strength of the stormers), but rather problem with their defensive system that doesn't have enough players sweeping a across.

There is a comment above about the Stormer playing a slow, spoiling game. I don't think that is true. They do try and attack but they lack the personnel and the tactics to work anything from structured play. With Catrikilis leaving and rumours of Goosen replacing him one can only hope that things are better next season.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Entry level is 4 weeks.....

So he'll get half the sentence reduced because of his clean record, but another 2 weeks tagged on as a deterrent...

I'd prefer they used the Messam formula = 0 weeks.
Yeah, I know, won't happen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Entry level is 4 weeks.....

So he'll get half the sentence reduced because of his clean record, but another 2 weeks tagged on as a deterrent...

I wouldn't overly rely on logic or precedent in these decisions. Especially after the wording of the last ruling, and the recent World Rugby edicts. Lottery.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Anything more than one week means Speight is done for the season. I can't imagine he'll get less than two but here's hoping though!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anything more than one week means Speight is done for the season. I can't imagine he'll get less than two but here's hoping though!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

The exchange rate with the Rand is pretty good right now, if you wanted to get some of that "hope" wired to the judicial officer in RSA... #justsayin

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
He'll be lucky to make TRC - he's not a kiwi playing in kiwiland

Your bitterness is tiresome.
It was off-the-ball and head-first.
He deserves several weeks - minimum.

Don't disagree at all.

The same week that Horne got three weeks Fruean was exonerated for a late tip tackle that had Milner-Skudder land on his shoulder/head. Had Fruean been cited and suspended then Fitzy's comment would have been out of line. But watching Speight's tackle last night reminded me of Fruean's tackle; away from the ball and a dangerous tip beyond the 90.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I would say Fruean's was slightly less dangerous than this as De Jongh went directly on his head. Nehe Milner-Skudder landed shoulder first, but then onto his head.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Watched the replay today. What a performance by the Brumbies. They won it in the tough stuff first and foremost. Fardy put his name front and centre for test selection, with a timely reminder of what he offers at the breakdown and in tight. Pocock did the same and was a constant menace. I hadn't realised that the Brumbies had the best line out in the competition but I understand why now. They smashed the Stormers in that phase of play. The backs surprised most of us by running the ball and doing so very effectively. Joe Tomane, quite apart from the three tries, did his test chances no harm at all. Lilo had a very steady game at 10 and Mogg his best performance that I can remember for a good long while.

Congrats and best of luck next week.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, it's been regularly mentioned by the commentary that the Brumbies have the best lineout in the comp...........

I believe they have the best % of lineout wins on own throw......... plus tries resulted from lineouts.

Carter was also dominating total lineout wins until he was injured, and Fardy was also within the top ten.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I did not manage to watch the game but happy for the Brumbies to win. I like the way they play and its good to see that style of rugby being rewarded.
The Stormers have had so much talent over the years and have not been able to do much with it. Hopefully the new coach will be able to get them to play a decent brand of rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They're just too conservative (a lot like the Force, but better at it). Playing a predominantly tight game will get you a long way, but not all the way -- in the same way that you'll beat a lot of teams with basketball rugby but never win the whole thing. There are some very good players in that backline, but they never do anything with them. It's a real shame.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Watched my recording last night, with lots of slo-mos for the penalties. Couldn't see how the Ponies' supporters could grizzle about the ref's/TMO's performances. The high tackle before Tomane's "4th" try was a penalty every time, hard to understand how the TJ/AR missed it. And Speight's sending-off tackle looked bloody awful; I won't be surprised if he gets 8 weeks for that effort. Peyper was quite even-handed in pinging both sides for holding the ball and entering rucks and mauls from the side. I've always been of the opinion Jaco's a ref who goes looking for penalties and ends up far too involved in the match, a "quasi-player" so to speak. Some of his running commentary was over the top, give me a quiet ref any day.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Typical chicken runner. :mad: Real Saffer support SA teams.

Sorry. I can't support the Stormers. If they had a progressive coach, who tired the get his team to play rugby then maybe. But keep playing that caveman style and your team deserved to lose. The best thing that could ever happen to Stormers rugby finally has with Coetzee leaving. Years of wasted talent and an inability to come up with an coach a style that can win championships.

I am as sick of the crap the Stormers serve up as I am about the Bulls.

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
Such a great performance. I thought White, Lilo and Mogg were also really great and directed the team and play brilliantly. Pocock is just a monster (ably assisted by Moore, Fardy and Ita) and having Sio back compared to the last time v the Stormers was massive.

Hurricanes are a great team but let's hope for the old curse of the team with the week off.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprisingly the Brumbies are taking the risky move and going to fight the charge by insisting that it technically wasn't a "lifting tackle", which upon reviewing it for the first time since the game - it wasn't.............

speight.gif

But he's still landed on his head, and at best I still can't see anything less than 3-4 weeks...........

I'm not sure if this is the right move from the Brumbies to be honest............ he might cop a much harsher ban now.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Surprisingly the Brumbies are taking the risky move and going to fight the charge by insisting that it technically wasn't a "lifting tackle", which upon reviewing it for the first time since the game - it wasn't.....

I'm not sure if this is the right move from the Brumbies to be honest.... he might cop a much harsher ban now.
Right move for the Brumbies. Wrong move for the Wallabies.....

Status
Not open for further replies.