• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Tahs, round 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Although they weren't at their best that was an efficient win by the Tahs. Significantly, it was the first victory by an ANZ side in SAf this year. I hope and pray there are enough fit wingers to front up against the Force next week.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
good win for the boys. caught the second half only, but beale looked in nice touch and composed. would have liked to see some more settled phase play, at times i got the feeling we were chasing the try.

potgeiter seems to have made the love of contact contagious amongst our lads.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Although they weren't at their best that was an efficient win by the Tahs. Significantly, it was the first victory by an ANZ side in SAf this year. I hope and pray there are enough fit wingers to front up against the Force next week.

Should be, Carraro and Crawford and then Horne and Lance should be options from the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nice ground out win, the scrum was very solid, as was the lineout

Beale was a mixed bag, some nice stuff and some "Cooper" like "yours" passes under pressure

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to be less selfish

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scrum good indeed, lineout efficient enough. But Robinson and Kepu were hit and miss around the field, TPN a little better. I'm happy to see a solid set-piece, but they're falling down with the general play.
Happily, the locks, Potgieter and Hooper were pretty good in that regard.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Actually the Crusaders beat them to that prize.
The Chiefs beat the Cheetahs before that. Another last minute get out of jail card played. Amazing how they do it. Champion side.

Crap weekend for the SAF teams. 0-4.Three of those at home.

The Stormers go bottom of the log for the first time in their history.

Really don't know what they are going to do from here.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Chiefs beat the Cheetahs before that. Another last minute get out of jail card played. Amazing how they do it. Champion side.

Crap weekend for the SAF teams. 0-4.Three of those at home.

The Stormers go bottom of the log for the first time in their history.

Really don't know what they are going to do from here.
43-43 = a draw in most cases!

Reactions: mjw

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
A hard game to pick.

It really is a tale of unhappiness and who will rise to find joy. In many regards it’s exactly like the plot of the great 1986 feature film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Both teams have had a bad experience and now find themselves in a situation were they need to take control again.

nuts.jpg

F.Bueller, now currently at the seaside.

NSW will be hoping Cheika does a Matthew Broderick on the medical staff and pretends he is Izzy’s father only to then make out with him once the principle reluctantly gives him permission to play and like Mia Sara’s character Sloane Peterson we can only hope that the beauty that is Izzy steals the show with radiant charisma.

hourglass.jpg
hourglass.jpg

Rick James Brown Sugar Ray Leonard Nimoy.

For the Stormers I have absolutely no idea at all so like most things out of Africa I’m gonna pretend their evil due to there Nazi like fascination with finding the arc located at the cradle of life which I’m not sure of its exact location but its Africa-ish.

safari3.jpg

The Arc, attached to its owner, yesterday, in sunny downtown Africa.

If we allow them to get there hands on this Arc then the world is in a lot of trouble so hopefully Cheika can devise a game plan were not only is the Arc protected but also possession of the ball which will ultimately lead to victory for all.

citroen2.gif

The Arc of the Covenent, I mean, the, uhh, Citroen, having presumably fallen into the wrong hands.

In conclusion, may the light of good forever shine down upon the needy installing hope and good will in its motherland, NSW.

safari5.jpg

Kings Cross, Sydney, yesterday.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
good win for the boys. caught the second half only, but beale looked in nice touch and composed. would have liked to see some more settled phase play, at times i got the feeling we were chasing the try.

potgeiter seems to have made the love of contact contagious amongst our lads.

I tendered to think the Tah's play such a frantic game, I never noticed it before but, if they settled just a little and built some phase pressure they could win the comp.. They may do it anyway with just frantic all out attack but I think teams like the Brumbies, Sharks may just grind them out. Interesting to see how they go against the Chiefs and Crusaders

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
i got up early to watch this game. A fine win by the tahs! I was really impressed with the Physicality of the Tahs pack, something I'm hoping we can bring to the Wobs later this year. Douglas and Skelton werev very good.

Skelton should be in the Wobs squad this year if he continues this form. He played 66 minutes and stayed busy until the end.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good win Tahs. Did what you needed to do to get the win. Skelton just keeps getting better.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I thought the Tahs were getting the raw deal in the scrum half swap with Melbourne, but definitely not (I consider Burgess a swap). Phipps has really impressed me so far this season.

The Tahs have some real issues though, no one seems to own their line out. They need someone to step up and become a general for them. Clearly it should be Dennis, but he hasn't seemed to really dominate this area at all this year. And their back line attack appears clueless without Folau in broken field play. Mind you, if he's back next week that's fixed.

Positives were the venom the forwards showed in contact and the Foley/Beale kicking combo working a treat.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brilliant win tahs. Well some. Good to see. Those saffa commentators know how to whinge though. A team finally gets a neutral ref that has a pretty good game in South Africa and the commentators whinge. I isn't here then whinging when the blues, reds and other away teams have been shafted by bad refereeing.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
i got up early to watch this game. A fine win by the tahs! I was really impressed with the Physicality of the Tahs pack, something I'm hoping we can bring to the Wobs later this year. Douglas and Skelton werev very good.

Skelton should be in the Wobs squad this year if he continues this form. He played 66 minutes and stayed busy until the end.
He is defiantly a mile fitter then last year. He slowed down a lot after 50 last year. Good to see

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Although they weren't at their best that was an efficient win by the Tahs. Significantly, it was the first victory by an Australian side in SAf this year.
The first sentence absolutely nails it!

Good win Tahs. Did what you needed to do to get the win. Skelton just keeps getting better.
That improvement is evident but he has got a long way to go. His physicality is improving but his accuracy at the breakdown is still poor and he is not hitting the defensive line at top pace. Time and coaching will fix that.

Beale's penalty kicking from distance was superb last night. Clearly we need to use that weapon more and only give the close kicks to Foley. I'd say anything over 30 metres should be Kurtley's.

The Stormer's scrum got nailed repeatedly on the second shove, I think there was a bit of pride on the line tonight. Good to see Tilse get some minutes tonight and he did not let the team down. (Mind you, when did he ever let the team down playing for the Tahs, he seems to grow an extra leg?)

Others have suggested that the Tahs play is too frantic. I don't think so. What I think Cheika is doing is to make the forwards play with that aggression all season so when finals come they will have learned to play well at that level. It is a sort of stress testing to improve the end outcome. There is a long way to go and the Stormers are not the toughest team in the world, unusual to see a SA team outgunned in the physicality. We just need to play better when we are at that intensity level, ie catching passes, ball security, realignment, breakdown accuracy.

I thought Lance was a bit invisible last night, if Folau's still out I'd put Horne at 12 this week. Carraro and Crawford to the wings - I want to see Crawford take over the penalty kicks for touch - Foley is like taking a knife to a gunfight.

Back on track after last week but the Force have got their tails up. Never thought I'd see the day. The biggest question will be how the Force handle the extra physicality. McCalman, Cottrell and Hodgson will be strong and we underestimate their front row at our peril. With all the travel it will be a real banana skin game.

Status
Not open for further replies.