• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies r6 @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Jantjies is the key to the Stormers winning the title, for the past 3 years they've been up there but never had the attack. With him they finally can score tries at will.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tautes dad visited me on saturday morning before the match and their first visit to Newlands. Interesting to hear the x Lion players gets a bit boot from the Stormers supporters because they are not original Kapenaars. Jantjies had an excellent game on saturday and still get his crictics.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
lol no the Brumbies did not.
Geez, they just beat the two teams on top of the table in consecutive weeks. You are a hard man to please. The Brumbies sent traffic down Jantjies' channel all afternoon and came away with one try in 80 mins. This was the same team that put 4 tries on the Sharks in the first half of the previous game!

Jantjies is by no means a dominant tackler, but I don't remember him missing a large number of tackles. Are you able to point to an incident(s) where this was the case? Or perhaps some missed tackle stats which confirm that he is weak defensively? According to RugbyHeaven (http://livescores.smh.com.au/rugby/super15/player-stats.html), he's not in the top 20 for missed tackles, so hardly a clear weak link there.

He also had a significant hand in two of the Stormers' 4 tries on the weekend, giving the final pass for Aplon's try and also one of Bekker's. While Jantjies has been wearing the 10 jersey this season, particularly in the last two games, the Stormers have looked more threatening in attack than they have in the whole of the last two seasons. They scored a 4 try bonus point on the weekend (against one of the stronger defensive teams), something they were not able to achieve in the whole of 2012.

In short, I don't think I could disagree with you any more!

lol no the Brumbies did not. ANother classical sucker punch from White. Like he usually does. A diving prop missing a tackle out wide classic case of them defending the fringes and blocking that hole and they got hit out wide. A wing with bad defense you can get away with at times. Cheetahs gets away with it as Rhule and Le Roux ain't the best defenders. But they can drift so the touchline will win. Your 10 is alway in the middle of the park and you can hit them with your inside center,

A guy with the nickname Meisiekind exposed him lol. Ludeke smile every time he sees Jantjies on that team sheet as he find a different way to let guys run over him. Even big fat Steyn exposed him. If Burger was there I would feel much more relaxed.

Forgive me for being a bit paranoid by I have lived through a season of Louis Koen and getting smashed by a average Boland side

But ask yourself this. Is he worth R10 million? There seems to be something fishy going on but two guys tried to reprimand Jantjies both have lost their Jobs and Montgomery and Muir were given warnings. Then the Stormers let the Bulls grab Pollard and half the U/20 squad while paying R10m for Jantjies. It seems like he cannot be touched. Don't even try to put him on the bench like Mitchell did. Mitchell lost his job although the beat the Sharks when he made the swop and the Lions missed 12 tackles whole game. http://www.ruckingoodstats.com/context/file?id=3113

Elton Jantjies is a liability on defense, there is no getting around that. Its not the inside back’s job to tackle the big boys back, but rather to stop and hold them till the loose forwards arrive to assist. You will see the 10's develop all some kind of technique to hold the guy up which sometimes can be comical. Morne Steyn do his Judo throw. Grant grabs hold on then when the loosies get him join the line. But Jantjies do not hold on even! How the loosies suppose to catch a guy if they are not given that second where he is just held long enough for them to get there?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't know where to start in responding to that ramble. Conspiracy theories? Really? John Mitchell lost his job because he put Jantjies on the bench? Now I've heard it all. As for the reference to Muir and Montgomery - I have no idea what you are referring to or how that has any relevance. Have you followed Mitchell's career at all? He basically got booted from a number of his previous jobs for the same reason he did at the Lions - the players don't like him.

What a classical sucker punch that was from White! It worked so well that his team ALMOST won! Besides, you must have missed the half a dozen times Fotu Auelua ran at Jantjies in the first half if you think White abandoned this tactic.

You haven't provided any evidence that Jantjies is a weak defender? It may be your opinion, which is fair enough, but how about backing it up with some examples.

The whole point that you are missing is that a flyhalf is not picked, or should never be picked on his defensive ability alone. What Jantjies brings to the Stormers from an attacking perspective, far outweighs any supposed weaknesses in his defence (whether they actually exist or not). The Stormers have put all their focus on their defence in the last couple of seasons and where has that got them in Super Rugby? A couple of finals appearances?

They have finally acknowledged that this method can only bring you limited success and have put more of an emphasis on attack this year (particularly with the inclusion of Elton at 10) and now you want to go back to the old method? Put Peter Grant back in there because he defends well, ignoring the fact that a backline full of Springboks outside of him have failed to do anything but tackle and chase kicks in the last two seasons.

....and frankly, to compare Elton to a player like Louis Koen is absolutely laughable.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
lol no the Brumbies did not.

lol no the Brumbies did not. ANother classical sucker punch from White. Like he usually does. A diving prop missing a tackle out wide classic case of them defending the fringes and blocking that hole and they got hit out wide. A wing with bad defense you can get away with at times. Cheetahs gets away with it as Rhule and Le Roux ain't the best defenders. But they can drift so the touchline will win. Your 10 is alway in the middle of the park and you can hit them with your inside center,

A guy with the nickname Meisiekind exposed him lol. Ludeke smile every time he sees Jantjies on that team sheet as he find a different way to let guys run over him. Even big fat Steyn exposed him. If Burger was there I would feel much more relaxed.

Forgive me for being a bit paranoid by I have lived through a season of Louis Koen and getting smashed by a average Boland side

But ask yourself this. Is he worth R10 million? There seems to be something fishy going on but two guys tried to reprimand Jantjies both have lost their Jobs and Montgomery and Muir were given warnings. Then the Stormers let the Bulls grab Pollard and half the U/20 squad while paying R10m for Jantjies. It seems like he cannot be touched. Don't even try to put him on the bench like Mitchell did. Mitchell lost his job although the beat the Sharks when he made the swop and the Lions missed 12 tackles whole game. http://www.ruckingoodstats.com/context/file?id=3113

Elton Jantjies is a liability on defense, there is no getting around that. Its not the inside back’s job to tackle the big boys back, but rather to stop and hold them till the loose forwards arrive to assist. You will see the 10's develop all some kind of technique to hold the guy up which sometimes can be comical. Morne Steyn do his Judo throw. Grant grabs hold on then when the loosies get him join the line. But Jantjies do not hold on even! How the loosies suppose to catch a guy if they are not given that second where he is just held long enough for them to get there?

Good synopsis on Jantjes shortcomings. Let's face it, how many tens are "dominant" defenders? Lem was the onlyh one I can ever remember to actually smack people back. When he was playing at ten not a lot of people wanted to wander down his channel.

Guys like Larkham and Wilkinson have been excellent defenders and so is Carter.

If you want to see a classic example of a guy who does enough through technique look no further than Cruden. He finds ways to hang on for dear life until the cavalry arrives and rarely slips off. Elton can do well to study some tape of his work in defense.

Until Elton fixes this issue he will be nothing but promising in my book although he has great vision and those quick passes for two tries were sublime. Not many people can throw those.

Status
Not open for further replies.