• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies r6 @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looks like White is not as good as most think, ran out of Answer for the boys. :p

Brumbies are my second team but in a way for the reds im glade they lost.
There Playing really good Rugby, Mogg must be Wallabies 15.....

Its a tough tour over and they will bounce back. There best player is Brisbane born.....

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
He does look slow and slightly overweight - particularly compared to what he used to look like when he first came onto the scene at the Bulls. I would guess that he would still be one of the quicker players on the field though. He used to be a competitive hurdler in his younger days if I remember correctly? His acceleration may be down, but I'm sure over 60 - 80m he'd still be right up there.
Our 200 meter champion got no legs so forgive me for not taking the hurdle part as he got gas. Its a shame we let Chavanga go now that is gas. Think they should go do scouting in Zim again they got some speedsters in that country

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
A couple of fights in the 2h.
stormers not getting penalized
Coleman just got pinged.
Stormer 6 got away with a punch earlier.
George executed a great judo throw earlier in the same fight.
Kick missed. Justice.
Goodness crazy, did you watch the game or the ref? Maybe you should borrow Jake Whites Boere glasses.

Excellent win by the Stormers. Finally they step up a gear and hitting form. Thought Duvenhage service gave Jankies some space to show a bit of magic and the midfielders let the ball do the work. Not much time to celebrate when the Saders hit town.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thought the same thing meself when I heard the result. No one likes to lose ANY game, but getting through a season undefeated's damned near impossible. If the Ponies're going to lose it may as well be early in the season, and to a worthy opponent at that but, most importantly, lessons must be learnt. I wouldn't bet on the Stormers if they have to play the Ponies in Canberra come the semis.

BTW, painful 'n' all it might be but I applaud White for having the courage to rotate his squad. Resting those few tired/injured players before a long trip home may just be the winning of the Bulls match in Canberra this week.

Is there any information about Nic White and Jesse Mogg's injuries? Are they likely to be available for the Bulls' match this week?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Snippets from the press hangers-on suggest they'll both be available. Any inside info, BJ?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Steven Kitshoff of the Stormers has been cited for alleged foul play during a Super Rugby match at the weekend.
Kitshoff is alleged to have contravened Law 10.4 (e) Dangerous Tackling when he made contact with Brumbies #10 Matt To'omua in a tackle. The incident occurred in the 61stminute of the match between the Stormers and Brumbies at DHL Newlands Stadium in Cape Town on Saturday 23rdMarch 2013.
The referee for the match: Glen Jackson, acted upon the incident during the match by awarding a Penalty.
Upon further review of the match footage the Citing Commissioner deemed in his opinion the incident had met the Red Card threshold for foul play

The Citing is to be considered in the first instance by SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Jannie Lubbe SC.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
A SANZAR Judicial Hearing has found Steven Kitshoff of the Stormers guilty
of contravening Law 10.4 (e) Dangerous Tackling after he was cited during a
Super Rugby match at the weekend.

Kitshoff has been suspended for one week up to and including 31 March 2013.

The incident occurred in the 61st minute of the match between the Stormers
and Brumbies at DHL Newlands Stadium in Cape Town on Saturday 23rd March

The SANZAR Judicial Hearing held by video conference at 9am SAST, 6pm AEDT
and 8pm NZDT on 25th March was heard by Adam Casselden.

In his finding, Mr Casselden ruled the following:

I have found that Mr Kitshoff did grasp Brumbies #10 around the neck
gripping him between both arms in a “headlock” and then brought him to
ground. This placed the Brumbies player in a vulnerable position and the
risk of serious injury was obvious. I therefore found that on the balance
of probabilities that Mr Kitshoff did execute a tackle above the line of
Brumbies #10’s shoulder around his neck in breach of Law 10.4 (e). Law 10.4
(e) provides that a tackle around an opponent’s neck or head is dangerous.
Accordingly, I upheld the citing and found the offence made out.

I have found that the entry point was at the low end. This dictates a
suspension of two weeks. Taking mitigating factors into account I am
satisfied that the two week entry point of suspension should be reduced to
one week. Accordingly I suspended Mr Kitshoff from all forms of Rugby up to

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I gotta say Fotu's runs are borderline illegal, he lifts his arm/elbow just before contact.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I do not know what this fuss is about Jantjies. I have the greatest fear every week when I see his name on the team sheet.with less salted and inexperience loosies. Jantjies can't tackle. I pray every night that the Saders or any other team with big forwards don't sent traffic down his channel for 80 minutes. He miss the big guys running at him and Kolisi seem to run sideways after the ball carrier rather than stay in his line and protect his 10. Thats his first job and that is what he is there for. Why do we have the big guys on the opposite side from most of the teams in World Rugby? Cause Naas Botha could not tackle. Krige protected his 10 was a good example of it but Jantjies at the moment is about a 10 million rand defensive hole

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I do not know what this fuss is about Jantjies. I have the greatest fear every week when I see his name on the team sheet.with less salted and inexperience loosies. Jantjies can't tackle. I pray every night that the Saders or any other team with big forwards don't sent traffic down his channel for 80 minutes. He miss the big guys running at him and Kolisi seem to run sideways after the ball carrier rather than stay in his line and protect his 10. Thats his first job and that is what he is there for. Why do we have the big guys on the opposite side from most of the teams in World Rugby? Cause Naas Botha could not tackle. Krige protected his 10 was a good example of it but Jantjies at the moment is about a 10 million rand defensive hole
Geez, they just beat the two teams on top of the table in consecutive weeks. You are a hard man to please. The Brumbies sent traffic down Jantjies' channel all afternoon and came away with one try in 80 mins. This was the same team that put 4 tries on the Sharks in the first half of the previous game!

Jantjies is by no means a dominant tackler, but I don't remember him missing a large number of tackles. Are you able to point to an incident(s) where this was the case? Or perhaps some missed tackle stats which confirm that he is weak defensively? According to RugbyHeaven (http://livescores.smh.com.au/rugby/super15/player-stats.html), he's not in the top 20 for missed tackles, so hardly a clear weak link there.

He also had a significant hand in two of the Stormers' 4 tries on the weekend, giving the final pass for Aplon's try and also one of Bekker's. While Jantjies has been wearing the 10 jersey this season, particularly in the last two games, the Stormers have looked more threatening in attack than they have in the whole of the last two seasons. They scored a 4 try bonus point on the weekend (against one of the stronger defensive teams), something they were not able to achieve in the whole of 2012.

In short, I don't think I could disagree with you any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.