• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies r6 @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Stormers will have JdJ, Taute and Rhodes back. Brumbies full of confidense after they bashed the Sharks. Jake White will have it all planned out. Massive challenge for the Stormers, Brumbies by 50.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

It's going to be a cracker of a match. Will have to get up early on the morning of my birthday to watch it live. Tougher job for the Brumbies as the Stormers will have learned from the Shorks mistakes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nic White came off with a shoulder injury last week, and Jake doesn't want to risk further injury this week....... particularly after having a shoulder reconstruction in the off season......

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Prior was pretty good on the weekend, I think this move is tactical.

I almost hope prior moves teams. I reckon he's the 3rd best scrummy in the country behind Genia and White.

So do I, but I don't want to see him leave.

Has Swanepoel been sent over to sit on the bench, or will Nic sit there hoping not to have to play any game time?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No reports of Burger being fit.

The Stormers are still without Etzebeth. He is to their pack what kahunas are to a stud bull - the most important part. His stand-in has been good, but doesn't offer enough in the muck. I reckon they should start Elstad at lock with Bekker-san and play Rhodes on the side. Very good player. More balsy pack I reckon (there is a pattern developing here)

Any chance of that Oom Paarl? I would love to see it.

And whether Burger plays or not, comparing how Mowen goes against Kolisi is more appropriate.

Can't wait for this one. Stormers will have had a big wake up watching the Short getting balled. They will be well rested.
Coetzee wont change much from the Chiefs match. Habana is out so we may see JoeP switch to wing (kicking duties) and Taute coming in at 15. myself will put Tiaan in 2 , Fourie in 6. Elstadt bench.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers: J. Pietersen, G Aplon, J De Jong, J De Villiers, G Vd Heever, E Jantjies, D Duvenhage, D Vermeulen, R Elstadt, S Kolisi, A Bekker, D Steenkamp, F Malherbe, T Liebenberg, S Kitshoff

Replacements: Fourie, Cilliers, Armand, Carr, Groom, De Allende, Taute

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Stormers: J. Pietersen, G Aplon, J De Jong, J De Villiers, G Vd Heever, E Jantjies, D Duvenhage, D Vermeulen, R Elstadt, S Kolisi, A Bekker, D Steenkamp, F Malherbe, T Liebenberg, S Kitshoff

If Coetzee is playing his best available team, which you think he would against the team that gave the Sharks a mauling and are league leaders to boot, then he must think Liebenberg is better than Fourie. I thought Fourie had a bit of a slow start but had really hit his straps. Even if he's not the number one hooker I reckon he's one of the best three backrowers in the squad at the moment.

Anyone understand the reasoning behind it?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
If Coetzee is playing his best available team, which you think he would against the team that gave the Sharks a mauling and are league leaders to boot, then he must think Liebenberg is better than Fourie. I thought Fourie had a bit of a slow start but had really hit his straps. Even if he's not the number one hooker I reckon he's one of the best three backrowers in the squad at the moment.

Anyone understand the reasoning behind it?
Tiaan is a better scrummer. Brumbies scrummed very well against the Sharks. I also like the look of the bench. If the Stormers is close at half time, they'll beat the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

De Jongh at 13, De Villiers at 12 and Liebenberg at 2 have always caused the Brumbies a lot of grief. Brumbies will need to be on their game for this one.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Nice looking side once again from the Brumbies, a loss not having White there but Prior has done well so far and has another chance to show case that. Good reward for Sio to keep his spot and for Jake to be able to rotate the props.

P

Paradox

BRUMBIES: Jesse Mogg, Henry Speight, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Joseph Tomane, Matt To'omua, Ian Prior, Fotu Auelua, George Smith, Ben Mowen (capt), Sam Carter, Peter Kimlin, Dan Palmer, Stephen Moore, Scott Sio. Reserves: Siliva Siliva, Ben Alexander, Scott Fardy, Colby Fainga'a, Mark Swanepoel, Robbie Coleman, Clyde Rathbone.
As predicted, Alexander gets a rest and Palms starts. White is injured. Good pack. Scrum will be even better this week in theory.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Glad Mogg is in the squad! I was worried he might be injured. Hopefully week off heals white, although prior looks pretty comfortable.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sio couldn't be dropper after teaching Jannie du Plessis a thing or two about scrums last week.

Prior played really well, almost like Giteau at 9 - nice long pass, reasonably quick, good vision.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Once again I will be looking forward to seeing an Oz rugby team playing decent rugby and doing All Black and (old) Crusaders stuff like running back to get into position to run forward, and getting to one side of the park, sucking in opponents, then launching the pill wide to team mates against out-numbered defenders.

All teams try these things but it is the execution of it by the Brumbies that makes one enthused. Take a bow Jake - and Bernie.

Despite that I think the strong-defending Stormers could be a bridge too far at Newlands with it's feral crowd. I hope I am wrong.

Good luck to the Brumbs. A preview of the game is included in my blog here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/aussie-super-teams-at-crossroads/

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the brumbies will get up but I also know historically how hard a south african team is to beat at home. I expect them to be competitive at very least, they seem unafraid but also humble. I think their loss to the blues last season was a blessing in disguise, they won't get ahead of themselves, even Bernie has been impressed by their focus.

Despite a few injuries it's amazing how good their roster looks, Zack Holmes hasn't even made the bench. I'm tipping a bonus point victory for the ponies, I still think it will be close I just imagine for them to win they'll need 4 tries. 32-24(or something divisible by 3) to the brumbies.

Sorry for jinxing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.