• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Queensland Reds @ Newlands - 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hanson to start again next week?

Wouldn't be out of place I reckon. Matfield is probably not as scary as Bekker, but then again old age & cunning vs youth etc. Big bulls pack, let him take the sting out of them and then bring Finger on again for the second half.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
The Golf Masters just made me feel a whole lot better!! Especially beating the two Aussie young guns on the final stretch!!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What a way to win!
birdie,birdie,birdie,birdie to finish.
pisses me off he beat our 2 guys, but hats off to him for a great round.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Very happy with that win. I really thought the Stormers would bash the Reds forwards off the park, similar to what the Tah's did a few weeks back but it didn't happen that way at all. There was a great resolve there and some pretty starchy defense. Samo was a cracker of an inclusion.

Cooper and Genia take a bow - controlled the pace of the game and field position extremely well.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Another theory might be that neither Hanson nor Fainga'a are very good at lineout throwing. Just a thought. There are many ways to look at things. Stormers lost a few lineouts too, so maybe Bekker isn't that good and wasn't the factor? Who knows.

Looked like Simmons was calling. He and Hanson form an inexperienced combo and combined with a large vocal crowd probably contributed to a flaw in communication. I don't think blamming individual players is very productive as the lineout functions as a unit and the blame should be worn as a unit. In Deans speak I think they will be better for the experience and they will own that performance. :)

T

TOCC

Looked like Simmons was calling. He and Hanson form an inexperienced combo and combined with a large vocal crowd probably contributed to a flaw in communication. I don't think blamming individual players is very productive as the lineout functions as a unit and the blame should be worn as a unit. In Deans speak I think they will be better for the experience and they will own that performance. :)

Yes Simmons was calling, Van is the primary line-out caller but he has been injured

T

TOCC

Tahs fans can try and call the Reds game boring... but there is no arguing with Sir Jonathon Eales
This match was tryless until the final five minutes but don't confuse tries with entertainment; it was a compelling wrestle. The match-up between the Crusaders and Stormers in Cape Town in round 12 will be intriguing and even more so as it will be a dress rehearsal for the World Cup later in the year.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-learn-art-of-offload-20110411-1d9u2.html

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Awesome win. Tackling was immense and so aggressive at the breakdown. Cannot wait for Reds vs Saders. Possibly play a flanker at 13 when defending to smash SBW. I reckon that while his ability to offload in the tackle is useful he seems to over do it and this could lead to turn overs.

T

TOCC

Awesome win. Tackling was immense and so aggressive at the breakdown. Cannot wait for Reds vs Saders. Possibly play a flanker at 13 when defending to smash SBW. I reckon that while his ability to offload in the tackle is useful he seems to over do it and this could lead to turn overs.

The Tahs forwards and the Crusaders backs remain the biggest obstacles for the Reds 2011 season IMO

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
if anyone is watching a replay of the match can you keep an eye out for something for me?

Was Radike playing 'fullback' at times? I swear I saw it at least a couple of times. I think it was from lineouts, I assume their throw in. He didn't take the ball either time, but I am sure he was in the last line. The first time I thought it may have been a little 'laziness', or perhaps he was getting back in 'position' after injury.

But then I saw it again. It was early in the morning so my mind may have been playing tricks on me, but did anyone else pick it up? I am pretty sure it was set piece stuff too, not just dropping back from phase play.

T

TOCC

Reg, good observation, i just checked, and Radike is definitely at fullback from the line-out.. I only looked at the line-out at 05.20 into the match, not going to go through all of them tonight.. But the back 3 was Davies, Samo and Cooper

However, in the lineout at 13.00(halfway) he is in the 10 channel, and again at 18.00 (5 m from Stormers tryline) he is again standing in the 10 channel.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good, I'm not going mad.

So Morahan and Digby in the line then

Thoughts on why?

My theory was knowing the Stormers would kick a bit, and have their big physical centres/backrow chasing that Samo was going to be used as a ball returner, kind of like the leaguies use at kick offs with their big props standing in the in goal ready to return the ball.

Perhaps Samo is just very good in the air in his own right and it was horses for courses. Correct me if I am wrong but did he not spend some time on the wing earlier on in his career? Given his skills, height and hand size I'd imagine he could be quite decent in the air.

Any other theories?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
good, I'm not going mad.

So Morahan and Digby in the line then

Thoughts on why?

My theory was knowing the Stormers would kick a bit, and have their big physical centres/backrow chasing that Samo was going to be used as a ball returner, kind of like the leaguies use at kick offs with their big props standing in the in goal ready to return the ball.

Perhaps Samo is just very good in the air in his own right and it was horses for courses. Correct me if I am wrong but did he not spend some time on the wing earlier on in his career? Given his skills, height and hand size I'd imagine he could be quite decent in the air.

Any other theories?

Fisher used to play him on the wing for the Vikings when they played in the Brisbane comp. Would hold the ball in one hand and fend with the other and guys had real problems trying to tackle him.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it is a bit harsh to blame Hanson for the lineouts that the Reds lost. It was more an issue in the line than the throw. Things didn't improve straight away when Sai came on. I am very confident in the Reds lineout and see it more of a small blip in an otherwise well working part of their game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess the other case for the Radike thing is that with high kick and lots of chases, it provided the Reds a bit of muscle back there to support the kick returner at the ruck and help secure position.

T

tranquility

I guess the other case for the Radike thing is that with high kick and lots of chases, it provided the Reds a bit of muscle back there to support the kick returner at the ruck and help secure position.

I would say that is probably the most likely scenario. Good pickup though Reg, I didn't notice that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.