• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Queensland Reds @ Newlands - 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
The Tahs forwards and the Crusaders backs remain the biggest obstacles for the Reds 2011 season IMO

Agree on that, although I would say the Tahs scrum will give us trouble, but not so much their forwards at the breakdown. They were average in that area against the Cheetahs. We also need to work on the lineout, although Bekker is a freak.

Hopefully our backs will create some doubt in the minds of the Saders when we play them.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agree on that, although I would say the Tahs scrum will give us trouble, but not so much their forwards at the breakdown. They were average in that area against the Cheetahs. We also need to work on the lineout, although Bekker is a freak.

Hopefully our backs will create some doubt in the minds of the Saders when we play them.

They were not average. They were woeful as they were across the park against the Cheeteahs. After the games against the Force and CHiefs I am hoping they are working back towards their starting form in which case they will be about the same standard as the Stormers forwards with better backs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
With the games we have yet to play, I would rate the Blues and the Crusaders a bigger hurdle in the Forwards than the Tahs.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Awesome win. Tackling was immense and so aggressive at the breakdown. Cannot wait for Reds vs Saders. Possibly play a flanker at 13 when defending to smash SBW. I reckon that while his ability to offload in the tackle is useful he seems to over do it and this could lead to turn overs.

Ant Faainga is the man for the job.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A Finger still rushes up in defence and that is the type of frantic response that SBW is exploiting. Players are so focused on getting him early they rush up and leave hole which he uses the step and off the mark pace to exploit. It will take a fair bit more to convince me of his test credentials.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm sorry, fellow backs, I must betray the brotherhood. The battle against SBW won't be won by any backline player, it'll be won by the pigs. Disrupt, slow, or take the Crusaders ball, keep them on their heels and see that SBW and Freuen don't see a scrap of pill.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks Paarl.

All the pre-match expectation seemed to weight pretty heavy on the Stormers, but it was still a bloody good game. Will take a special team to get through a season this long undefeated. Seems to be a lot of comments on some of the SA forums about missing JdV's leadership on the field - any truth to that?

Thought Jaco Peyper had a good game, let it flow well. Must admit I was one who thought we would suffer a bit, so I owe the guy an apology.
No problem Boet, must say I do really rate 99% of the Reds supporter posters on here as a humble lot in victory. The stats show it take an 80 minute effort to down the Stormers at Newlands and you lot sure can afford to be proud on your team.

I dunno about Jean, sure he is a world class player but he would not have changed the result in any way. You simply cant go in matches with players not 100% fit.

Regarding Peyper, I have always rate him and thought he could have gave us a third yellow after Babs trip. These things tend to cancel each other out and thought specially Cooper was lucky with his second or was it his third high tackle. Have to mention Le Goete who shown out the two yellows, was pretty brave from him but he sure was right in both cases.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
A Finger still rushes up in defence and that is the type of frantic response that SBW is exploiting. Players are so focused on getting him early they rush up and leave hole which he uses the step and off the mark pace to exploit. It will take a fair bit more to convince me of his test credentials.

Who was saying anything about his test credentials?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That's becauseuntil this round the Reds have kicked away more pill than any other team in the comp, apart from team Cipriani (you'd know that if you listened to the G&GR podcast)

But don't get me wrong, was a magnificent win well played. I hope to see Sanchez and Quade reproduce it for the Wobs.

Just amusing to see the red boot on the other foot

Throwing to a line out only comes from your own kicking does it? I suspect that the majority of throwing to your own line out comes from the other team kicking, if you ignore penalties (which if they are getting more lineouts from penalties it means they aren't going for goal as much).

Strange logic from you Gagger.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

Luckily we aren't talking about test match rugby then!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Throwing to a line out only comes from your own kicking does it? I suspect that the majority of throwing to your own line out comes from the other team kicking, if you ignore penalties (which if they are getting more lineouts from penalties it means they aren't going for goal as much).

Strange logic from you Gagger.

Did you read the rest of the conversation?

Here are the top kickers in the S15 at the moment:

1. Danny Cipriani (Rebels) 76
2. Quade Cooper (Reds) 73
3. Morne Steyn (Bulls) 63
4. Peter Grant (Stormers) 57
5. Will Genia (Reds) 55
6. Elton Jantjies (Lions) 48
7. Patrick Lambie (Sharks) 47
8. James O'Connor (Force) 45
8. Matt Giteau (Brumbies) 45
10. Stephen Brett (Blues) 42
11. Fourie du Preez (Bulls) 41

Only team that gets close is the Bulls

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

You need to rush up to cut out the time and space. One man rushing up is exactly the problem. The line has to do it. In the Reds case, Genia to act as a sweeper to cover the chip as no doubt they will use it to try and slow the line down. He needs to be taken one on one as if you commit two to him he will just become the decoy and they will go straight to Fruen who personally I think is far more damaging to SBW. The Reds have a few other options in their cattle to mark SBW that I can think of.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You need to rush up to cut out the time and space. One man rushing up is exactly the problem. The line has to do it. In the Reds case, Genia to act as a sweeper to cover the chip as no doubt they will use it to try and slow the line down. He needs to be taken one on one as if you commit two to him he will just become the decoy and they will go straight to Fruen who personally I think is far more damaging to SBW. The Reds have a few other options in their cattle to mark SBW that I can think of.
Rushing up, per se, is not a problem as you say, if the team allows for it and covers it, or indeed does it as a line. Mortlock has defended superbly this year in games doing exactly that, but not all the time. Pick the right time, and rushing up can be very effective. Stop the opposition back line movement at 12 or 13 when they might have the numbers. If, on the other had, a player does it too much, it becomes an obvious weakness to exploit.

T

TOCC

Did you read the rest of the conversation?

Here are the top kickers in the S15 at the moment:

1. Danny Cipriani (Rebels) 76
2. Quade Cooper (Reds) 73
3. Morne Steyn (Bulls) 63
4. Peter Grant (Stormers) 57
5. Will Genia (Reds) 55
6. Elton Jantjies (Lions) 48
7. Patrick Lambie (Sharks) 47
8. James O'Connor (Force) 45
8. Matt Giteau (Brumbies) 45
10. Stephen Brett (Blues) 42
11. Fourie du Preez (Bulls) 41

Only team that gets close is the Bulls

those statistics as a whole are also somewhat misleading though Gagger, NSW uses 4 if not 5 kickers(KB (Kurtley Beale), Burgess, Barnes, Turner & Mitchell) where as the Reds largely rely on Quade and Genia. The main reason for Quade kicking so much more then other 5/8's is the fact that he also defends at fullback, meaning he is often returning kicks from back there.

I did a quick look and the Reds have on average kicked 25 times per match compared to the Waratahs 23 times per match..

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
those statistics as a whole are also somewhat misleading though Gagger, NSW uses 4 if not 5 kickers(KB (Kurtley Beale), Burgess, Barnes, Turner & Mitchell) where as the Reds largely rely on Quade and Genia. The main reason for Quade kicking so much more then other 5/8's is the fact that he also defends at fullback, meaning he is often returning kicks from back there.

I did a quick look and the Reds have on average kicked 25 times per match compared to the Waratahs 23 times per match..

Of those 23, I would guess at least half were grubbers or Burgess brain-farts, which is quite different to what Quade and Genia are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.