• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

strategies for the tri nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If it were a three test series I would be a little bit more confident daz. As it is we have to beat the Kiwis twice, including one game on home soil. It is certainly possible though. I think our chances of winning the 3N are higher than the Bled.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
If it were a three test series I would be a little bit more confident daz. As it is we have to beat the Kiwis twice, including one game on home soil. It is certainly possible though. I think our chances of winning the 3N are higher than the Bled.

Not this year, we would have to play them twice in New Zealand.

I'd prefer trying to beat them once in NZ than twice at home, tbh.

D

daz

As it is we have to beat the Kiwis twice, including one game on home soil. It is certainly possible though. I think our chances of winning the 3N are higher than the Bled.

I think you are right barbarian. My gut feel is that for the Wobs to have any real impact at the RWC, we need to go into the tournament with at least one of those trophy's under our belt. The 3N might well be the one.

Beat the Kiwi's at home pre-RWC (and claim the Bled) would be a hell of a thing, though....and my preference over the 3N.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I agree that the 3N is more likely... But wow, wouldn't it be awesome to beat the Kiwis at Eden Park on the eve of the Cup?

Reactions: daz

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
A comment from the G&G boss in another thread on the Reds/crusaders game was spot on. The way the reds took on the Crusader/AB the other night was pure genius. Not the best reds attacking game of the season but worked bloody well. And they still scored off a set move with diggers, same move as the week previous when Davies got his 2nd meat pie. with genia/cooper passing speed and who ever on the outside of them I think will open the AB up. And Wallabies will put some points on the teams they are playing in there pool.
Scrums still make me a little nervous and the europe rugby wold loves there penalty kick. cooper/genia is the key. Forwards cleaning the ball out like the ABs do, which i dont think we have done for awhile now. Cooper plays better off quick seeds from genia so he doesn't have to think as much.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

I think we have a good-to-excellent chance of winning the BC and 3N in 2011. Why?

- we now have, ex- Finals Winners Reds, a core of highly seasoned and highly confident Aus players that (a) have now beaten the Cru (best proxy for ABs there is) 5 times in a row which is now way beyond co-incidence and (b) have mastered the dark arts of actually closing out tight, critical games, vs the classic Walls foreplay of an 1H lead given back in 2H (remember Bruce R's compelling analysis of this syndrome Walls v ABs 2008-10, and how it was never righted). Just as the Cru's constant capacity for delivered victories directly fed the ABs' winning machine, this will now in 2011 happen to a similar degree for the Walls, and, further, we may just have enough psychic wood over some of the Cru-based ABs (HRH Richie looked very shaken both times he's recently departed Suncorp)...in this context, these comments from Mealamu and Henry are interesting: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5272149/Cooper-Genia-a-concern-for-All-Blacks

- we will, thank God, not have Gits as kicker (or hopefully not in run-on 15 either), JO'C and KB (Kurtley Beale) will kick better, and, I would argue, Cooper has gone from a 2010 7.5/10 value player to a 8.5-9/10 value player in terms of his net match impacts to score line, he was simply outstanding/world-class for 2011 so far and I am convinced he'll be similarly productive for the Walls;

- with the possible exception of some scrum scenarios, our forwards will be equal of the ABs (and will certainly handle the Boks), and our backs will be manifestly superior (see Henry's conservative squad choices) to both ABs' and Boks' back in terms of productive unpredictability, speed and ingenuity to execute, and general guile under pressure;

- if RD rapidly instills a similar S&C regime as per the 2011 Reds, the Walls may at least be physically fitter than the ABs and Boks in the last 15 mins (this was a major part of the Reds' 2011 success - their all-of-80 fitness and match endurance was superior to many of the best S15 teams - just watch the replays);

- the materially weakened 3N Boks squad (and PdV's obvious focus on the RWC at the expense of the 3N) should absolutely be beatable if we adopt broadly similar tactics and games plans as were used by the Reds and ABs to beat the best SA teams in the S15. With the exception of temporary elements of the Cheetahs' and Sharks' attacks, the general attack capability coming out of elite Bok/SA players and coaches in 2011 was mediocre.

The downside of course is that we will not have the calibre or quantity of Assistant Coaches the Reds had, nor the outstanding talent of Foley. Nonetheless, If RD engages well with the new core of senior players and lets them co-design the game plans and tactics, etc, I am broadly confident we have what is required to win both pieces of SH winter silverware by 9:30pm AEST August 27. If RD pulled say Link and Foley over into his 2011 advisory group, I'd be hugely confident, but there's no pink animals flying past my window today.

(Of course, all bets are off if we start to see Ma'afus and Mumms and other, shall we say, 'eccentric' selection strategies come back to the fore in the 3N matches.)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think you are right barbarian. My gut feel is that for the Wobs to have any real impact at the RWC, we need to go into the tournament with at least one of those trophy's under our belt. The 3N might well be the one.

Beat the Kiwi's at home pre-RWC (and claim the Bled) would be a hell of a thing, though....and my preference over the 3N.

We probably have to beat them at home to win the RWC. We may as well get started in the Bled then.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the Wallabies are a very good chance of winning the 3N and the Bledisloe. Everything seems to be clicking just at the right time IMO. The Wallabies should definitely be able to beat the Springbok 2nd XV in Sydney, and after the last-minute win in Bloemfontein the boys will know that anything's possible. I also think that Australia currently have a massive mental advantage over our Kiwi counterparts. As it stands, we are the reigning champions in Bledisloe Cup fixtures and the boost that victory in Hong Kong will have given the players is a big bonus. The Reds victory over the Crusaders should reinforce this positive mindset, especially seeing as our boys were playing what is virtually NZ's full-strength forward pack as well as their most valuable back- Dan Carter. The All Blacks are starting to worry about the influence of Genia and Cooper, something that resonates through Mealamu's comments in the above article. I think playing our home game at Suncorp is another massive bonus, as it has been described by Stephen Moore as 'the spiritual home of the Wallabies' and the atmosphere is electric, once again providing an extra boost for the men in Gold. Winning at Eden Park will certainly be a daunting task, but by no means impossible. I honestly think if we can come away with a win there then we can win the World Cup.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think for us to win the World Cup, we need to have beaten the All Blacks at least once in the 3N and knocked off the Boks in preferably both games. The marker needs to be laid down before a big tournament and the Wallabies need to do it against one or two of the contenders and carry that momentum forward.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Genuine question: which centres should we pick to provide said size?

McCabe
Ashley Cooper

I am actually a little disappoint Tapaui didn't get in the squad - I reckon he will have more to offer than Ant F within the very near future.

One I don't want to see at centre is Gerrard. He doesn't tackle anywhere near as dominantly as he should for his size.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I am actually a little disappoint Tapaui didn't get in the squad - I reckon he will have more to offer than Ant F within the very near future.

Me too. My only real quibble with the backs selection. He's not there yet, but doesn't the potential alone make it worth having him there? Seems like a very smart football player in both attack and defense, as well as the obvious talents.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
without robinson i doubt we can hope t compete in the scrums now a every other prop being mentioned is not known for scrummaging.
i really fear the nz scrum now... and think we must pick our replacement on scrummaging ability only as we will find ourselves a man down to any team with half a brain

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't worry about the NZ scrum, whilst they have a strong one, they're not the type to ever use it as an attacking weapon.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
without robinson i doubt we can hope t compete in the scrums now a every other prop being mentioned is not known for scrummaging.
i really fear the nz scrum now... and think we must pick our replacement on scrummaging ability only as we will find ourselves a man down to any team with half a brain

Nonsense. Kepu has developed into a very strong scrummager.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Nonsense. Kepu has developed into a very strong scrummager.

so we're gunna pack a scrum with kepu and a hooker?
my point was that behind robinson and kepu the only other scrummaging prop in the country is not in the squad

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
so we're gunna pack a scrum with kepu and a hooker?
my point was that behind robinson and kepu the only other scrummaging prop in the country is not in the squad

No, I doubt we'll pack a scrum with Kepu and a hooker. We're rather more likely to pack a scrum with Kepu, Slipper and a hooker.

I rate Sliper as a scrummaging prop, although not yet a fully developed one. Most of last year he stood up very well against very well regarded opposition. He faltered slightly this year in the S15, but that was in a weaker front row with a weaker hooker. He'll go fine with Kepu and either of Nau or Moore.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I too am a little more optimistic in general and following the weekend.

That's because there's a little more nouse coming into Aus rugby I reckon. As Paarl mentioned, the contestable kick totally fucked the Crusaders (as it did for the Cheetahs against them) and we seem to be re-learning it, rather than giving them another chance to just dive all over the ball - sorry, I meant counterruck.

We're also getting ballsier at the breakdown and in the tackle - even Higgers had a good game there last weekend!

The key IMO is for Dingo to stop playing just like the Crusaders, but build in the tactics that will beat them as well. The blueprint is there

Status
Not open for further replies.