• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

strategies for the tri nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Deans appears to have built the squad around a style of fairly up tempo ball running and less structure. The guys selected for the Wallabies clearly reflect that, in the form of Cooper, Genia, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. I'm totally fine with that as a plan, so long as we have the grafters in there doing the tough stuff to make the ball available. In that form we have Sharpe, Pocock, Moore, Horwill and Elsom. Our line out is very solid these days and Pocock and Elsom are very capable at the breakdown, so all that remains is solidity in the scrum. We simply cannot have a repeat of 2007 if we are to be any chance. With that said, I think we have a better scrum than back then. The other thing though, will be to make sure that we don't get blown off the ball in the tackle, as that was the other thing that brought us undone against the Poms: they were more enthusiastic and committed greater numbers in the collision. There can be no seagulls in the pigs or we are sunk.

Excellent summary. I feel the scrum will be in OK shape. Frankly, there is no dominant scrum at Test level (The Irish managed to turnover the English scrum in the 6N's) and the Kiwis advantage hasn't brought them home in their recent big game showdowns (S12 Final and France 2007). The kicking game will develop as QC (Quade Cooper) has matured greatly in this area.

Truly, there are more grounds for optimism than at any time in many, many years.there is depth The engine room stocks are brimming, there is depth in the front 5 and all backrow positions, and there is a lethal cutting edge to a Wallaby team that can take confidence from Hong Kong, France and now the S15 title.

The Kiwis still have problems with lineout, and the drop-off from McCaw/Carter to their back-ups is huge. Their back-three combination is unclear and the advantages they have enjoyed in terms of their intensity and high work-rate will be matched in a WC knock-out match. Their big game composure will come under the white blow torch heat of expectations and pressure and they will not have eradicated doubts until the final moments of the last game.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with the above comments about the way in which the Poms beat us last game: getting blown away at the breakdown, and those seagulling forwards. I remember pulling my hair out in frustration at that game - it seemed that every time we got the ball wide and had some space, some slow forward would be standing out in the centres.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Use a dual-fullback model with both Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper directing the counter-attack and no defense in the world will stand a chance of stopping them.

I also think that Australia currently have a massive mental advantage over our Kiwi counterparts. As it stands, we are the reigning champions in Bledisloe Cup fixtures and the boost that victory in Hong Kong will have given the players is a big bonus.

there is a lethal cutting edge to a Wallaby team that can take confidence from Hong Kong, France and now the S15 title.

Break out the champagne lads. This is our year. It looks like we just have to turn up to collect the silverware.

Three victories have got the rest of the rugby playing world absolutely rattled.

Who can forget the Bledisloe in Hong Kong? It completely obliterated recall of the fact that in the Deans era we were 1 and 9 against the All Blacks. And what a thrashing we gave them that night. If I remember rightly we kicked a winning goal from the sideline after the bell. That was probably the instant where our "massive mental advantage" first kicked in.

Then there was our triumph over the French. What an epic encounter that was. Who can forget the drama of the second half? In their desperation to stem the tide of wave after wave of Aussie brilliance the Tricoleurs did everything but tackle, but to no avail.

And finally the Reds overwhelming the Crusaders. And not just any Crusaders, but an outfit which had been conditioned and battle hardened for the final by not having played a game at their home stadium all year and by travelling to South Africa and back to round out their preparation.

We are body surfing an absolute tsunami of success.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Bruce seems to be a glass half-empty type. Those of us buoyed by the most recent upward trajectory of Australian rugby and who take encouragement by the most recent performances at Test and Super 15 level see evidence of broader depth among the pigs, and superb performances from the critical 9, 10 and 15 positions.

The opposition do not appear to have made similar improvements and their key players seem injured or out of form. There are grounds for optimism.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Break out the champagne lads. This is our year. It looks like we just have to turn up to collect the silverware.

Three victories have got the rest of the rugby playing world absolutely rattled.

Who can forget the Bledisloe in Hong Kong? It completely obliterated recall of the fact that in the Deans era we were 1 and 9 against the All Blacks. And what a thrashing we gave them that night. If I remember rightly we kicked a winning goal from the sideline after the bell. That was probably the instant where our "massive mental advantage" first kicked in.

Then there was our triumph over the French. What an epic encounter that was. Who can forget the drama of the second half? In their desperation to stem the tide of wave after wave of Aussie brilliance the Tricoleurs did everything but tackle, but to no avail.

And finally the Reds overwhelming the Crusaders. And not just any Crusaders, but an outfit which had been conditioned and battle hardened for the final by not having played a game at their home stadium all year and by travelling to South Africa and back to round out their preparation.

We are body surfing an absolute tsunami of success.

Bruce, you remind me of that joke where an enthusiastic duck hunter was in the market for a new retriever. Having searched high and low, he actually found a dog that could walk on the surface of water to retrieve a duck. Stunned by the dogs physical gifts, he was sure none of his friends would ever believe him.

On his first subsequent hunting trip, he went out with one of his better mates who happened to be a pessimist by nature. After a while waiting patiently under cover, a flock of ducks flew by. They fired, and a duck fell. The new retriever dog responded and jumped into the water. The dog, however, did not sink but instead skipped across the water on rapidly moving paws to retrieve the bird, never getting more than his paws wet. He wouldn't have believed it if he didn't see it himself.

The friend saw everything but did not say a single word. On the drive home the hunter asked his friend, "Did you notice anything unusual about my new dog?"
I sure did," responded his friend. "He can't swim.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That's the spirit Bruce!

You may have exaggerated your point immensely but I would have to agree we do not have a massive mental advantage. The All Blacks will ALWAYS believe they should win, especially when playing in NZ. I do believe however that the wallabies are also in that same mind-frame and are mentally prepared. I don't think the Hong Kong win plays a part in this, but the Reds win will certainly cement a winning mind-frame into many of the players. We are positioned very well if not better then the ABs mentally, but i would never call it a "massive mental advantage", but I would also never be as negative as Bruce as we always have a decent chance, probably a better chance then any other rugby team in the world at beating the kiwis.

Kick some kiwi ass Wallabies!!!

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Personally I think it's time to quit the attitude that the wallabies are up against it etc etc. If we want full support for the wallabies it's time to say that It's our year (very nearly said it's our time then -_-) It's time to say we have the cattle and depth and we need your support to win.

dunno about Sydney but here in Brisbane everyone is just about ready to time their jump from the Reds bandwagon to the wallabies.

Shame that the samoa test couldn't have been at suncorp though they would have got close to a sell-out just from the momentum of the previous week.

Really disapointed the saru didn't send out their a - team. The ARU really needed 70k at the game next weekend.

Only way to strike back and send a message not to do it again is give them an embarassment to remember, put our A plus team out and beat them to a pulp.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Recap of England test at Twickenham

From memory the EOS tour to the NH was deemed to attain a pass mark. There was no over performance from the team.

The best result was beating the Kiwis in Hong Kong. However, the Kiwis don't rate the result as anything other than a blip and a brain fade from Donald who has not been selected in their 2011 squad.

We also beat the French, but conceded a penalty try from scrum infringements and the French did what they do best and surrendered in the 2nd half.

The worst results were losing to Munster and to England. Munster showed up our lack of depth and also as Redshappy has been stating; the management either wasn't good or was non existent for the mid week team.

Against England we were out hustled, dominated at the breakdown and the set piece and our inside channel was extremely pourous in defence.

I think that the Reds were brilliant this year, but, I don't think any of the negative issues that became apparent on last years tour have been eradicated.

The single biggest question I would love to have answered from Deans (if he doesn't reply in gibberish) is how will he use Quade Cooper in defense?

Having joined Bruce's pessimistic bandwagon, I will now try and get off it by saying that this years S15 has helped the Aussies more than the Saffers or Kiwis in their quest for the World Cup.

Finally, I do think progress has been made on the Wallaby weaknesses from the 2010 EOYT which is comforting. However, I don't think any weakness has been turned into a strength.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm happy with the All Blacks believing it.

What I love is that Genia, Cooper, Horwill, A Finger, Samo all believe they are the favourites for 3Ns and Bled and ultimately WC glory. I'm sure I heard them say it, and put it down to the Reds win also. Yep very sure they've said it and tweeting to the tweeps about it too.

I wish them luck in their favouritism.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
What I love is that Genia, Cooper, Horwill, A Finger, Samo all believe they are the favourites for 3Ns and Bled and ultimately WC glory. I'm sure I heard them say it, and put it down to the Reds win also. Yep very sure they've said it and tweeting to the tweeps about it too.

I'm sure this will fade once they finish celebrating the S15 victory. None of them are afraid of hard work

T

TOCC

I find it unlikely that they said that

U

Utility Back

Are you sure it wasn't more like "we can/think we can win the trinations and world cup?"
Cause their no chance if they dont.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The worst results were losing to Munster and to England. Munster showed up our lack of depth and also as Redshappy has been stating; the management either wasn't good or was non existent for the mid week team.

Against England we were out hustled, dominated at the breakdown and the set piece and our inside channel was extremely pourous in defence.

A very astute comment. Now ask yourself who was the coach of the mid week team for that tour? Then ask yourself what is he doing now? Face Palm should follow shortly after with a how did that happen comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom