• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Still don't understand Fafs decleration? :confused:

But hats off to him. Show his mental strength with the bat today.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ two bites at the cherry: opening bowlers get six overs each tonight in the most favourable conditions they may get all match, rest up overnight & come back for an extended day- but not innings-opening spell tomorrow. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if someone worked out the Warner situation & saw an opportunity to put Renshaw under just that little bit of extra pressure.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Very well done to see off the session with no loss. Who said not scoring is boring? That was the best part of the day.

Well played Faf. Great ton and captaincy to declare with Warner off.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
4 Catches, a stumping and 4 at fault byes from Wade today I think, albeit he saved a very tough 4 byes.

Not bad. Needs a good bat to back it up though.

Very Impressed by Renshaw so far.

Big Davey just wanted to watch the final 12 overs on his OLED TV.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How is it that Du Plessis can legitimately and without "bringing the game into disrepute" argue his innocence?
Having seen conclusive video of something in his mouth while he shines the ball with saliva, what is his defence?
Having done it before and been suspended how does he only cop a fine?????
Its rare that Aussie cricketers occupy the moral high ground compared to their opponents

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to wonder that myself IS, I know most see it as a ridiculous law, heard Haddin (wicketkeeper) saying this morning that he shouldn't have been charged and even Steve Smith saying the Aussies do same thing, but the bottom line is if you caught breaking the rules you face the consequences the old saying is don't risk it!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How is it that Du Plessis can legitimately and without "bringing the game into disrepute" argue his innocence? Having seen conclusive video of something in his mouth while he shines the ball with saliva, what is his defence?

He's engaged a lawyer (God spare us) who's arguing that FdP's guilty charge of altering a ball, rather than tampering, can't be proved. Legalistic pricks. IF he gets off on this technicality one would hope the ICC'd draw up another charge and throw the book at him.

If any Australian gets caught doing something similar they deserve the same punishment.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wade and Maddinson doing exactly what we expected them to do prior to the test.

Good 50 from Handscomb. Even better century from Khawaja. Hopefully another 100 runs come from the tail and Ussie to set up a good second innings.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fantastic innings from Khawaja today, real backs to the wall and maximum concentration stuff. We just need a few other blokes to rally around him (Smith being the obvious exception). This test is very interestingly poised right now. As far as Faf's declaration goes, I thought it was pretty spot on and was an attacking move designed to put pressure back on Australia. Sure it didn't come off but nonetheless I thought it worth a punt.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He's engaged a lawyer (God spare us) who's arguing that FdP's guilty charge of altering a ball, rather than tampering, can't be proved.

How do you alter a ball in play without tampering or vice versa for that matter.
I suppose there is some comfort in finding out how little his match fee is - but thats probably a deliberate structure and he has a huge retainer

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
How do you alter a ball in play without tampering or vice versa for that matter.
I suppose there is some comfort in finding out how little his match fee is - but thats probably a deliberate structure and he has a huge retainer

There point is the lack of evidence that having a mint in the mouth alters the condition. In 2014 the system was changed and hence the charge from 2013 was wiped from his record. Assume this happened to a lot of players.

I think the rules need to be much clearer. He is guilty under the current terms and should accept it but the rules appear to be far from perfect. At some stage everyone has had mints in there mouth. How long after does the saliva contain slightly more sugar? Kohli was caught doing the exact same thing with chewing gum and wasn't charged - what is the difference?

This is a storm in a tea cup. However the storm was made stronger by the actions of the SA team. The whole team confronting a press conference saying it is a joke only for FdP to plead guilty. Then the actions of the staff and team at the airport with FdP smirking like he was quite pleased with the going on. They lost the public support of most then and people wanted him stood down just as much as a result of the mint issue.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Anyway who gives a hoot about Faf? Much more interesting

Khwaja was excellent. Looked knackered at the end of play so hope he can push on with the tail.

Renshaw looks good. Traditional opener who looks like he loves to bat a long time.

Handscomb was excellent.

Maddinson will be disappointed.

Wade has been excellent with the gloves and also disappointed he followed a wide one.

Bowlers are very good with the exception of Lyon. Think he will do well on this pitch in the next innings.

Warner looks disinterensted. Not sure what to make of his form at the moment. Just a slump or something more?

Fafs captaincy has been great but really negative captaincy to keep giving the single to Khwaja for so long. Starc handled it very well and after 20-30 balls they could have tried a bit harder to play positively especially with Khwaja having been out there so long and it being the new ball.

Look forward to seeing the new guys have another bat. At least one of them will make way for S Marsh if fit. Maddinson and Renshaw may be playing to stay in. Will be tough on either to lose their spot but if Smith wants fighters then I'd like to see Renshaw stay and maybe bat Marsh at 6 to put more experience in the lower order. Was really impressed the way Renshaw got through the end of the session on day 1 with the snap declaration and change of partner.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Australia all out for 383. Khawaja dismissed lbw on 145, Starc c & b for 53, Bird last man out on 6. Kyle Abbot the pick of the bowlers with figures of 3/49

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
2 and a half days of cricket to go, but I'd say SMarsh in for Maddinson come next test. Was in good form, and batting at six protects him a little from the tough early period that sees him get dismissed in single figures, what with the ball a bit less shiny.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Another good day.

Good to see GOAT find some form too.

Still need that lead to be under 200, 150 if possible.

Wade hasn't been amazing, but I just love the fact that he doesn't stop talking utter shit behind the stumps.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Another good day.

Good to see GOAT find some form too.

Still need that lead to be under 200, 150 if possible.

Wade hasn't been amazing, but I just love the fact that he doesn't stop talking utter shit behind the stumps.

Yep, just like every other 'keeper who has played the game.

Overall a pretty good day for us and one where we kept chipping away with enough wickets to keep us ahead in the game. Here's hoping we can get De Kok out early tomorrow and finish things off.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yep, just like every other 'keeper who has played the game.

Overall a pretty good day for us and one where we kept chipping away with enough wickets to keep us ahead in the game. Here's hoping we can get De Kok out early tomorrow and finish things off.
More:

He's a very average player.

His sledges are crap.

With a small handful of exceptions. He uses the same ones with every single ball off a bowler.

I mean, after the first 30 nooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissss Garyyyys regardless of how poor he's actually bowling, at least a small part of you must be focused on strangling Wade.

Something we didn't see from Neville despite his clear wicketkeeping superiority.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hahahaha, yes. A mate is an ex-Shield player and we recounts the story of playing against Wade in a WA v Vic game a few years ago: WA were batting and Wade was doing his usual gobbing off. At one point the WA boys reminded him of who he'll get to face when he gets his turn with the wand, one Mitchell Johnson. He apparently walked it back at light speed, but it didn't stop the ball from whistling around his ears every other delivery when he batted.

Status
Not open for further replies.