• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't care what he says, just take your catches. That one yesterday he didn't go for was a bad miss. I also thought the one in the first innings the one that went slow and bounced short of Renshaw he would have been a good chance for.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
<3 Kettlebot

image.jpeg

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That's the kind of response we were hoping for in Hobart.

Still a few question marks over the make up of the side but the selectors deserve some credit. I don't think we've seen our best XI yet but it's important we give these new guys some time.

Pakistan are on the horizon and could be vulnerable after some questionable performances in NZ. That said, they are #1 in the world and completely embarrassed us in the UAE. Redemption is on the cards.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ Pakistan need 368 tomorrow to level the series, currently 1 without loss after three overs at stumps on Day 4. NZ 271 & 313/5d (Taylor 102*) Pakistan 216 & 1/0.

image.jpeg

Been a long time between drinks for Taylor: 11 innings since his last 50, the longest of his career, plus he's been having some issues with a growth of some kind on his left eye.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...-class-as-black-caps-top-order-finally-clicks

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Congrats to the Aussies. Great win. Lets say they need more pre test match practice.

Series between us should be 4 tests at least.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great win by the Aussies. Great to see young blokes picked. I hope that we never see ageing debutants selected again, or ageing has beens selected well-after their prime.

Imagine where our team would be now if we had picked talented young players for the West Indies and England two years ago. Hopefully we've seen the last of Voges, SMarsh et al.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great win by the Aussies. Great to see young blokes picked. I hope that we never see ageing debutants selected again, or ageing has beens selected well-after their prime.

Imagine where our team would be now if we had picked talented young players for the West Indies and England two years ago. Hopefully we've seen the last of Voges, SMarsh et al.

I think Marsh has a few years left in him tbh . If that were our policy then I think we wouldn't have seen the likes of Hussey and Rogers wearing baggy greens.

To be fair the Voges selection didn't look like a bad one at the time. Our struggles exist because we pick blokes on the basis of 'talent' or 'potential' rather than runs on the board. Mitch Marsh is the example that springs to mind, his FC record is abysmal and despite not performing in tests, he was still regularly selected.

A good starting point would be to make all young batsman play county cricket for at least a season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A good starting point would be to make all young batsman play county cricket for at least a season.

Part of the problem is they can't now unless they are a bonafide star.

County cricket teams are now limited to only one non-EU player so the number of spots has been reduced drastically.

There are some more opportunities in minor counties but that is also a lower standard.

What was the norm for Australian cricket players for a long time is no longer possible for most.

Outside of the stars, there are a bunch of lower quality Aussie players playing over there. I am not sure if this is because they are eligible to represent England under the parent/grandparent rule or because they have nominated that they are unavailable to debut for Australia (and qualify under the Kolpak Ruling).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Marsh has a few years left in him tbh . If that were our policy then I think we wouldn't have seen the likes of Hussey and Rogers wearing baggy greens.

To be fair the Voges selection didn't look like a bad one at the time. Our struggles exist because we pick blokes on the basis of 'talent' or 'potential' rather than runs on the board. Mitch Marsh is the example that springs to mind, his FC record is abysmal and despite not performing in tests, he was still regularly selected.

I hope you're wrong about SMarsh.

Hussey was in the team on his merits and remained so until he retired. Rogers made his debut in his 20s and in his latter years held his place on merit.

The Voges selection was a bad one at the time (as I noted) and the precise chain of events that I foreshadowed on these thread came to pass. Over 35 years of age when selected on debut - looked good against a substandard West Indies team, failed miserably in England, somehow held his place for the home summer, success on a sequence of flat tracks, to inevitable failure. One can identify the 5 step cycle of a Greek tragedy in it all. Hopefully the departure of Rod Marsh means that this will never happen again - ever.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd love to see the internationals and domestic seasons reshuffled a bit.

Not much, keep the tests in approximately the same windows, and same for the big bash.

But enough so that before the first test of the summer, everybody without a genuine injury (none of this resting horseshit) can play at least two Shield games.

The domestic batsmen don't get enough of a chance to face the Test bowlers, and the domestic bowlers to bowl to the batsmen.

In the same way, internationals should have to show they're genuinely better than what the states have to offer.

It's not going to happen, but having Test players just drop when it's convenient and/or necessary means that they potentially do more harm than good to their state sides in individual matches.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Warner's injury might be a concern. Apparently had it for 12 months and wants to wait until he retires from tests to have an op. Judging by his throwing in Adelaide he might be better off seeing the summer out (if he can) and taking the IPL off.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Aust 4/150. MM a little unlucky to be run out at the non-strikers end, but backing up too far and seemingly not even in position to get his bat back. Looked like he was admiring the shot.

Crowd looks quite poor. Not so long ago these games were sold out weeks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.