• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Storm on the way:

image.gif

Looks likely to cross the coast somewhere near Manly in about 2-3 hours.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Just been severe thunderstorm warnings issued for SEQ over the next several hours. First cell is bearing down on the Gabba now.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Great day IMO.

Almost disappointing that the last two wickets went.

They'd be right in the game for an amazing finish.

As it stands, it's just a matter of time tomorrow.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Test Cricket eh? What a game.

40 bloody runs. Got away with the win by the skin of the teeth.

As I said, if the 8th wicket hadn't fallen last night, well, the story might be a bit different. If it had been Shah coming in with 41 runs to go, bloody hell.

USE THE FUCKEN FOLLOW ON!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well, that was bloody close.

Hopefully the Aussies have learnt a thing or two from that win. Regarding the follow-on I think it was the right call to bat again. The Pakistani's deserve alot of credit for nearly chasing it down batting last.

My big issue is with Smith's tactics today, it wasn't until they needed 70-odd to win that he went on the attack and brought the field up. They had shown they were willing to take a risk with the bat, defending nearly 500 runs on day 5 we should have been more aggressive. Why was there no 2nd slip when 75% of dismissals in the test had been from edges?

Prior to our great escape they were milking easy singles to our boundary riders and it really gave them a window back into the match.

If Lyon's position was in doubt before this test, he's out of chances now. Averaging over 60 in the past two series and even at the Gabba he couldn't bring that average down. I said it during the WACA test v RSA, I think the captain has lost confidence in him as a wicket-taking option.

Wade should probably come under scrutiny for his glovework but the negative attention on Maddinson will probably save him for Boxing Day.

If Shaun Marsh is fit I think he comes back in. Batting him at 6 seems odd but it makes little sense to move Renshaw or shuffle our middle order at this point.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some thoughts/observations.

Since the advent of one day cricket, teams are more capable and confident of chasing a total in the fourth innings. Giving a side 2 days and a session to score at just over two runs an over is now much more difficult to defend than it has been in the history of the game.

Pitches nowadays don't seem to deteriorate over the span of a test match as much as they used to do. Drop-in pitches I think highlight this aspect even more so.

Two fairly good reasons to enforce the follow-on when the match is in the sort of situation this one was.

Also to the point as far as this Aussie side is concerned, is that it doesn't have a match winning spinner in its ranks to run through a side on the last day. As good as Nathan Lyons' record is, he needs to develop a lot more variety in his bowling to be an effective match winner. A finger spinner without a doosra, or something similar, is fairly easy pickings for test match batsmen.

Handscomb looks to be the goods. Should just get better with experience and confidence. Renshaw has similarly done pretty good, and should be around for a while. Madinson failed in his first dig, and the later two innings have had some excuses. His spot must be in jeopardy with Marsh (Sean) on his way back from injury and Chris Lynn likely to start shaking up the BBL. Nic needs to get out of 20 Twenty mode and make sure he gets set before going for the big hits. Lynn would be good value just for his fielding, but I think he'll make the grade with his batting as well when given a chance.

Wade hasn't offered anything yet with his batting and again has missed one or two reasonably easy chances. Will need to dramatically improve in Melbourne/Sydney or we'll be waving goodbye to him I think.

Given Lyons' lack of effectiveness especially I believe against sub-continent batsmen, consideration should be given to a four pace attack in coming tests. Impatient to see Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins, Pattinson all together.

Not a Brumby in sight:).

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also to the point as far as this Aussie side is concerned, is that it doesn't have a match winning spinner in its ranks to run through a side on the last day. As good as Nathan Lyons' record is, he needs to develop a lot more variety in his bowling to be an effective match winner. A finger spinner without a doosra, or something similar, is fairly easy pickings for test match batsmen.

I think this is a pretty common misconception. I'm not sure his record has ever been 'good'.

Averaging 37.33 with the ball in FC wouldn't earn an international call up for any top tier nation. The fact he's played 60+ tests over guys like SOK (23.64) and Holland (34.63) should be questioned.

His averages in India (37.33) and Sri Lanka (33.58) suggest it's abit of a stretch to expect him to compete with the likes of Yasir (26.41), Herath (24.87) and Ashwin (25.59).

Stu MacGill must look at Lyon's test average (33.81) and wonder if he would have played 100+ tests if he were playing now.

We should be seriously concerned if Lyon is our front line spinner for the tour of India.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cummins needs half a season of Shield and a full season of County before I'd consider him for Test selection, and Pattinson should play out the season for Victoria before being brought back too.

Spin is interesting. Lyon is somewhere between out of form and simply not good enough. The two "natural" replacements, O'Keefe and Holland are both injured in the short term, and don't really complement each other, being both left arm orthodox.

Who does that leave us with?

Among the "all rounders" Maxwell has bowled less than 36 overs for 1 wicket. Agar has 16 wickets @ 24.37, but is struggling big time with the bat. Head has 7 @ 35, and has bowled under 50 overs in 8 innings.

Zampa remains shite in the long form with 7 @ 47.88.

Swepson has 10 @ 43.

Boyce has barely played.

What do you do?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For the remainder of the series maybe the 4 pace bowlers are enough. The other option could be to throw caution to the wind and pick Maxwell or Head at 6 and see if they can fill the all-rounder role.

Another long shot would be Mitch Marsh but he needs to perform in FC before returning to test cricket imo.

As for the guys mentioned above, it's probably between Swepson and Agar as to who is the best long term option. SO'K and Holland should both be fit to tour India so maybe it's the right time to see if either of the young guys can step up.

Of course none of this will happen as they have already announced an unchanged squad. Looks like it's going to take a loss before our under-performers face the axe.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pretty impressive considering how new he is to test cricket, then again the pitch is Chennai is a road and England lost interest at about 6-600. I thought it was telling that India opened their bowling with Ashwin on day 1.

Over 1,200 runs scored and 300 overs bowled in the first innings isn't a good look for test cricket. It will however be interesting to see how much the pitch changes overnight.

I predict that the pitch will miraculously start spinning on day 5 allowing for Jadeja and Ashwin to terrorise the English batting order. Of course it would be silly to suggest it has anything to do with the groundsmen and I am not suggesting that at all ;) .

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If Shaun Marsh is fit I think he comes back in.

Please no. Under no circumstances. If Maddinson goes (and he was probably lucked to be picked at all), then there are more than a few young guys who should come in before SMarsh.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Pace attack is well-balanced with a right and left arm pace bowlers to open and Bird is a good option as the 3rd speedster.

Spin is a problem - Lyons clearly is on the way out. The captain has lost confidence in him and his results recently don't justify selection. The replacement spinner is the problem - whoever it ends up being, they need to pick and stick.

Maddinson and Wade hanging on just. Both lucky to be selected in the first place. Nevill just as good with the bat and far better with the gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.