• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We're now a very real chance of burgling a win here. There are 37 overs left in the test and we need five, though Pakistan's lower order is pretty good.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Looks like Lyon has just stamped his ticket for a farewell tour of India.

I wonder what the odds are of a clean sweep.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This is so frustrating. Pakistan 6/113 and Starc is spraying his deliveries anywhere except at the stumps. And more so, because Smith continues to bowl him. Think fatigue has set in.

Hazelwood and Bird are accurate and should share one end and Lyon needs to bowl at the other, after btaking htree wickets. No excuse for Smith to stop bowling him.

Keep Starc fresh for the last batsman when his yorker will knock the stumps flying.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good lord, what a win that was. I've got to complement Smith and the boys for the way they approached the game yesterday and today: always looking for the result. I've been a bit meh about Starc as a front line test quick, but hasn't he developed into a serious match winner this year. Very well bowled today.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Screenshot_20161230-173907.png

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Good lord, what a win that was. I've got to complement Smith and the boys for the way they approached the game yesterday and today: always looking for the result. I've been a bit meh about Starc as a front line test quick, but hasn't he developed into a serious match winner this year. Very well bowled today.

It's a pity (good for us though) that Pakistan just can't put 2 good batting and bowling performances together in the one match.

Add to that the negative fielding tactics that they often employ, and they are their own worst enemy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great win by the Aussies. Selections for Sydney will be interesting. Change at number 6 for someone who can bowl has been flagged (curious that Smith gave Maddinson a few overs in the first innings ;)).

Maddinson would have to be under the most pressure - I only hope that he is replaced by a young player, not a back to the future old failure.

Wade will be retained.

Lyon probably did enough on the last day - but Smith seems to have lost confidence in him. Possible that SOK and Agar will be picked as alluded to earlier.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maddinson dropped for Sydney. SOK and Agar added to the squad.

I have a feeling that they'll play Cartwright at 6, rest Starc, play SOK and Agar and leave Lyon to cary the drinks.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Younis Khan needs 211 runs to bring up 10,000 in Tests. Having made just 62 in his four innings in Australasia, I can't see that happening in Sydney.

Misbah aged 42 & change must also be on the way out, he just keeps finding inexplicable ways of getting out but that swipe to Maddinson has to be one of the worst. 20 runs from four innings down under, no wonder he's " 'thinking about' retirement; undecided about Sydney Test."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-pakistan-2016-17/content/story/1074687.html

Nothing sadder than watching a former great going out like this, except him doing it at the same time as a very, very-good-but-not-quite-great.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^With very rare exceptions, elite sport is a young man's/woman's game. The idea that anyone could put together a national cricket team in this day and age with two x 42 year olds in the 11 is barking mad. Their records are both fine, it's just that they've been retained in the team for too long.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ Nineteen players have scored their last Test hundred aged 40+ but only three (Misbah this year, Chanderpaul in 2014 & Gooch in 1994) have done so in the last 1,000 Tests played: Test 1,000 was in 1984/85 & there's now been 2,143 so I'm guessing #1,143 was in the late '80's or very early '90's, Gooch getting his in #1,260.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/282994.html

EDIT: Test 1,143 was West Indies v England in April 1990.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^
Gooch v NZ in a game that England won by an innings

Chanderpaul v Bangladesh in St Lucia where WI won by 296 runs

Misbah against a reasonable England attack, but note that he was dismissed in the 2nd innings of that match for a 2nd ball duck

A good player will almost always be able to put a reasonable score together, even in their twilight years. The mental and physical demands of elite sport these days are just so different from even Gooch's time in 1994.

EDIT: One only has to look at the change in the current Australian team since Voges, Smarsh, Watson et al have departed.

Even all time greats like Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor struggled more and more as they got older.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have a feeling that they'll play Cartwright at 6, rest Starc, play SOK and Agar and leave Lyon to cary the drinks.

Would be very happy to see that but I think the selectors will continue with Lyon. Agar will be on the drinks.

Interesting that Ponting has taken up a coaching position with CA. Just from his commentary insight during the big bash I think it's a good appointment.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Please no resting this game. Give Hazlewood and Starc a couple of one dayers each off. And not at the same time again.

I think Cartwright will play. Lyon & SOK spinners. Bird 12th man.

Also, let's get Hogg for India. How good is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.