• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Love me some Hoggy (Black, red and white forever)

Isn't Punter only for the T20s that overlap with the India series.

Would love to see some 'silly" picks for that series.

Tommy Cooper going at an economy of 4.5 and a Strike rate of 8.5 opening the bowling for the Renegades, not many who'd beat those stats :p

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The team for the 3rd test announced.

As expected, Cartwright to get a start. SOK and Lyon in ahead of Agar.

Australia XI: David Warner, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Hilton Cartwright, Matthew Wade (wk), Mitchell Starc, Steve O'Keefe, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No excuses.

That said match figures of 0/173 & 3/113 for Lyon and SOK respectively the last time they played together.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Beyond happy that SOK has been recalled and hope he repays the selectors faith.

Some argue that he's getting on, but in my eyes he's at the perfect age for a leggie and still has his best years to come.

Bird is a touch unlucky but he'd have to be a certainty for India and I don't mind the selectors picking horses for courses. Cartwright's primary focus should be on scoring runs but it'll be useful if we can get a few overs out of him with the old ball too. Either way he has to be a step up from Mitch Marsh or Nic Maddinson.

Wade is probably fortunate that the BBL is on and the other candidates for the test gloves aren't playing FC cricket. Won't take too many more errors before Nevill is back in the frame.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Some argue that he's getting on, but in my eyes he's at the perfect age for a leggie and still has his best years to come.

He's been unlucky not to have played more tests and often has been bypassed for inferior spinners. That said, he's closer to retirement than the start of his career.

Hope he goes well in this match.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ironically, the weather in Sydney is overcast with showers - this is forecast for the next few days.

We may end up with conditions more favourable for seamers.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

But he's not a leggie. He's a left arm orthodox, which means he turns the ball away from the right hander, but not with the same amount of spin a leggie would be more likely to get.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But he's not a leggie. He's a left arm orthodox, which means he turns the ball away from the right hander, but not with the same amount of spin a leggie would be more likely to get.

And he's not even a big spinner of the ball by left arm orthodox standards either.

Nor does he even have the accuracy or consistency of Jadega or Bedi.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Four front line bowlers all from NSW at their home ground.

Don't forget Smith made his test debut as the requisite tweaker bowling leg spin, that could make it five. If Steve could rediscover his bowling mojo it'd solve a lot of problems with this current team.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pakistan look really disinterested in this test. Warner did some serious damage in that first session and Renshaw has been very good.

I suppose there's still the odd few that rate Lyon around here and SOK is the obvious target. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how Smith uses his spin options.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Jeez that Renshaw kiddie looks alright doesn't he. He's gotten better and better as the day has gone on and looks to have an excellent temperament. I saw someone say that he has an air of a Matthew Elliot about him, which from a technique POV would be a good thing. He certainly looks similar at the crease.

I should also mention Warner's innings. I doubt we've seen too many attacks on a bowling group like that in OZ for many a long day on the first morning of a test match. Well played.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How anyone could possibly suggest that SMarsh comes back into this team ahead of Renshaw?

Coach Lehmann alluded to this before play.

Well done young Renshaw, I hope you've hit that idea for 6. I always love young blokes succeeding - great for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.