• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sad that such a great servant of the game has to leave in such circumstances.

A great player in his own time and his term as head of the cricket academy in Adelaide was an unqualified success.

He's done the honourable thing in stepping down. The rest of the panel need to take ownership and do likewise IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He'd already announced he was finishing up at the end of the Summer. He's just brought it forward.

With a test starting next Thursday I'm not sure the whole panel quitting would be good for Australian cricket. Surely it would just make things worse and make it more difficult to make tough selection decisions.

Taking ownership for me would be to make the tough decisions to end one test career (Voges) and put a couple on ice (Burns and Mennie).

Ferguson would be on a last chance in Adelaide.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It's probably the right decision and takes some heat off others. Does make it tough on a new head in the interim as I doubt it will make much difference to results in the short term.

Prefer to see Waugh get it over Hohns if they go for an interim position. They probably already know who they want for the job though so backing them now might be the best long term option.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It surprises me that Lyon isn't on the chopping block.

His form needs to improve substantially but I don't think it is reasonable to drop him right now.

How is an off spinner meant to apply pressure when we've been rolled for 85 in our first dig?

In Perth he took two wickets in the first innings and none in the second. Difficult to crucify a spinner for not doing well at the WACA though.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hohns interim chairman, G Chappell interim selector.

Safe choice for the chairman spot. Interesting to read the article on Foxsports that is quite critical of Chappell and the role he has played in the demise of shield cricket and now this. No doubt he has a solid knowledge of the young players in contention though.

Not sure if it's a good thing going with these guys or not. Yes, they were very successful and should know what it takes to be a test cricketer but times they are a changing and I wonder if the Gillespie or Ponting types might be better in this era of three formats.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think Hohns appointment is a mistake.
I have nothing against him,I just think when you want to look forward you don't go back a decade.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem with Ponting and Gillespie are that they have too many coaching and/or commentary commitments to be chairman of selectors.

Maybe the fact that this is an interim appointment will allow those guys to be sounded out for the role. The problem is that it probably requires either of them (and particularly Ponting) to take a big paycut to take the role.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Hohns appointment is a mistake.
I have nothing against him,I just think when you want to look forward you don't go back a decade.

I think it would be a huge mistake if they made it permanent again. Interim seems fine though.

It was either him or Mark Waugh and Waugh probably has too many commentary commitments right now.

They didn't really have time to appoint someone from outside the current setup.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
His form needs to improve substantially but I don't think it is reasonable to drop him right now.

How is an off spinner meant to apply pressure when we've been rolled for 85 in our first dig?

In Perth he took two wickets in the first innings and none in the second. Difficult to crucify a spinner for not doing well at the WACA though.

I think Smith has lost confidence in him as a wicket-taking option. That was pretty clear on day 4 at the WACA.

I just find it hard to justify picking him when SO'K has a better FC record than Warne while Lyon averages 36.

O'Keefe's so far in 2016:
5/65 & 3/41 (NSW v WA)
2/32, 1/42 (Aus v SL)
5/43, 5/21 (Aus A v SL A)
3/63 (Aus v WI)

If applying pressure is the primary job for our test spinner then economy rates are somewhat relevant too (Lyon 3.15 v SOK 2.5).

Lyon is being picked on his reputation as Australia's greatest ever off-spinner (that list is quite short) rather than any form or statistics.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with you that Lyon is keeping his spot based on reputation and overall record rather than current form and have always really liked SOK as a player.

I think Lyon needs to be on notice but I probably wouldn't be dropping him just yet. SOK is almost 32 so age works against him in a head to head matchup.

SOK certainly offers more with the bat so that could sway the selectors.

With at least two batsmen to drop, and possibly Joe Mennie and Nevill, I can't see Lyon also getting dumped right now.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't see age as an issue when it comes to spin bowling and nor should the selectors. He could quite easily play until he's 36 or 37.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also: How good is Handscombe's glovework? scored a double ton but don't know how good he is keeping

Also: Hartley scored 72 n.o. for QLD

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Petey is a Batsman first and a keeper 2nd.

I think he's better keeper than Wade, Bancroft and Dunk, but he's not on the level on the full time keepers (Wade being the exception, he gets to keep as he's the captain).

He's not coming in for Neville, he's in for Voges, or he's in for Ferguson.

As a lower order keeper, I'd also have him in the short forms ahead of Wade.

Status
Not open for further replies.