• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pakistan 133, Colin de Grandhomme 6/41 on debut (best-ever for a kiwi) NZ 104/3 at stumps on day 2, day 1 having been washed out. Williamson & Taylor both out cheaply so it's up to the newbies to get the runs as well as the wickets by the look of it.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Handscomb and Doolan both with timely double centuries. It's unfortunate that Peter has put down the gloves, would have been very useful at 7.

As it stand he should come in for Ferguson or Voges.

Given how this round of the shield has panned out, I can't see Burns, Voges or Ferguson retaining their spots. Lyon with 0/140 should also be in that conversation but there has to be some argument for continuity.

The free opening spot should be between Renshaw and Dean who both scored tons for Qld and SA respectively. Both are young and inexperienced so wouldn't be shocked if the selectors turned to Doolan or Khawaja to open.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You say that, but he probably wouldn't be in National conversation if he'd kept them full time.

Neville's not worth giving up on yet IMO. Back him in till after the India tour, and then if he continues to fail, look at one of the others, whether that's a proper keeper like Paine or Whiteman or just letting Bancroft or Pete have a go.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
We couldn't have a 6 & 7 averaging low 20's. One is bad enough in this age of keeper/batsmen. I'd persist with Nevill for maybe the next two tests though.

The selectors asked for batsmen to put their hands up and now need to reward those that did. Burns shouldn't keep his spot but the opener position is complicated by the return of Marsh for the Pakistan series. Ferguson may be unlucky but the selectors need to back those that did well. Doolan maybe the exception as his 200 is only his second hundred in 3 years. Would also bring in Bird for Mennie but home track may see Mennie keep his spot.

That leaves 3 batsmen to bring in.

Renshaw
Handscomb
Patterson

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Both teams doing their best to take the Day 1 washout out've the equation, NZ losing 7/96 in the morning & Pakistan going into self-destruct mode in the afternoon & evenng to be 129/7 at stumps & lead by 62. Some really soft dismissals on both sides, none moreso than Misbah's WTF was he thinking?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ferguson tore his ACL and missed a year of cricket right at the point he would have played test cricket.

There was a time earlier when he was a name amongst a bunch of options but I think the best chance he had was spoiled by injury.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I actually thought he had earned a spot some time before his injury, but he certainly hasn't been the same since. I think his time has gone sadly.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Certainly think Burns, Voges and ferguson have to go. Sean Marsh will probably come back in as he wasn't so bad in Perth, and Hanscombe and Patterson look to be best of the rest along with Chris Lynn who is a standout in the field as well. Maddinson also thereabouts but needs to put away his inclination to bash everything over the fence (as does Warner also). Twenty/20 seems to have something to answer for, but I wonder why SA, England and India don't seem to be so affected.

Our bowling attack is just as fragile as the batting lineup. Where do we find a genuine (thanks BL) third seamer of test standard? Mennie is just a trundler as are so many others turning their arms over at around 120 - 130 kph and doing next to nothing through the air or off the pitch. Bird probably the best available until Pattinson is fit again, but who is there if either Starc or Hazelwood go down? Hate to think about it.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we didn't go into a test without a right arm off spin bowler again. Must be the most ineffectual bowling specialty there is. Send out an SOS to Brad Hogg please.;)

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My pick for Adelaide line-up:

1. Renshaw/S.Marsh
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Patterson
6. Doolan
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Hazelwood
10. Sayers
11. O'Keefe

12th man: Renshaw/S.Marsh

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Doolan has averaged in the high 20s across all first class since his test debut.

No way in hell should he be playing.

A couple more tons in this shield seasons would go a long way to rectifying it, but Patterson, Lynn, Handscomb, Bancroft, Dean and Renshaw are all under 26, while he's 30. Time's not on his side.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Now the squad I want to see:

1. Marsh
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Patterson
6. Renshaw
7. Handscombe
8. Starc
9. Hazelwood
10. Sayers
11. O'Keefe

12th man: Weatherald

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's a great result for the Kiwis.

As far as Wade goes. HE. CANNOT. KEEP. AT. TEST. LEVEL.

Sure, consider him as a batsman, but the 12 year olds in my son's team keep better than he does. I'd rather a bloke who averages in the mid 20's and is very secure behind the stumps than one who averages 40 and misses stumpings and catchable opportunities. The net gain just isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.