• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 QF: Chiefs v Reds

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Great effort from the Reds, but more importantly how entertaining was that! Thought the refereeing was very consistent and didn't favor any side. Great game from both sides.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Didn't get the win but it was a phenomenal effort. Big message sent to Eddie from a lot of the players, Faessler, Smith, McReight, Wilson, McDermott, O'Connor, Vunivalu, Flook and Campbell all pressed their claim tonight. Even a guy further from the squad like Blyth gave him plenty to think about. If he's serious about big game form being the key to selection this game has got to be a big tick for a lot of those players.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
No shame in that performance. Hopefully it advertises the quality of the playing group to prospective coaching candidates. There are lots of good players in our squad and almost all of them are easily Super standard.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Didn't get the win but it was a phenomenal effort. Big message sent to Eddie from a lot of the players, Faessler, Smith, McReight, Wilson, McDermott, O'Connor, Vunivalu, Flook and Campbell all pressed their claim tonight. Even a guy further from the squad like Blyth gave him plenty to think about. If he's serious about big game form being the key to selection this game has got to be a big tick for a lot of those players.
I thought Faessler in particular was immense once again tonight - a quiet achiever, as all hookers should be. He’s the form hooker in the country for mine - but that’s a conversation for elsewhere

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan54 I was about to admit the same thing I don't like 8 teams in the finals. But wow Queensland's effort is a quite advertisement for 8th making finals.
I know we don't like losing, but have to be very proud of Reds if you were a Reds supporter!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Lynagh has his work cut out for him taking that 10 jersey off Bowen, but he has a game made for knock out rugby.
Yes. He's definitely more of what I'd call a NH style 10. He was getting some real altitude on those kicks of his. I like the difference he presents in comparison the Bowen's game. The current crop of U20's are really exciting me, but I've had this level of optimism, hope and excitement in the past.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Our three best performances of the year were all in New Zealand over the last month and a bit. That’s hopeful
It's the lack of consistency that all the AU teams have that's the issue. The Red's have always had some really nice attacking flair, with their short passing game, and running interplay having developed well in recent years. When their on, they look great.

I'm not sure if it's a squad depth issue as the injury rates have felt really high of late, which we also saw with the Wallabies in recent years, but our teams have been very hot and cold with their performances, even within games.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What a lame first thing to say from Tate. Few questionable calls. Cmon mate I know your disappointed but leave that to the forums please.

I think we forget he’s only 24, this was probably one of the more emotional losses of his professional career. I doubt he gives the same response in 5 years time.

One think I like about American sports coverage is they tend to avoid going straight to an interview with a losing player/coach immediately after the game. Chat with the winners, get the feel good vibes and then let the losers settle down a bit. The NRL are starting to do this as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think we forget he’s only 24, this was probably one of the more emotional losses of his professional career. I doubt he gives the same response in 5 years time.

One think I like about American sports coverage is they tend to avoid going straight to an interview with a losing player/coach immediately after the game. Chat with the winners, get the feel good vibes and then let the losers settle down a bit. The NRL are starting to do this as well.
Good point.

You could hear it in his voice. Everything he said after was really good/nice in regards to Thorn.