• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU R3 - Reds v Force

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, you have to think whoever wins the line-out wins the game and if there is parity, the Reds have enough explosiveness to get them over the line.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm hesitant to expect anything from any team at the moment. After two rounds of essentially pre-season trial matches this is round 1 stuff, hopefully some things click.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
3 starting changes for the Reds

1. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Liam Wright – Easts ©
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
10. James O’Connor – Brothers
11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
13. Hunter Paisami – Wests
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. Dane Zander – Norths
18. Jack Straker* – GPS
19. Ryan Smith* – Brothers
20. Tuaina Taii Tualima – GPS
21. Scott Malolua – GPS
22. Josh Flook – Brothers
23. Bryce Hegarty – GPS

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
1. Angus Wagner
2. Feleti Kaitu’u
3. Kieran Longbottom
4. Jeremy Thrush
5. Fergus Lee Warner
6. Henry Stowers
7. Tevin Ferris
8. Brynard Stander

9. Ian Prior
10. Jono Lance
11. Brad Lacey
12. Nick Jooste
13. Marcel Brache
14. Byron Ralston
15. Jack McGregor

16. Andrew Ready
17. Chris Heiberg
18. Greg Holmes
19. Ollie Atkins
20. Ollie Callan
21. Jacob Abel
22. Henry Taefu
23. Kyle Godwin

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Like the back line changes, interested to see how we go with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at lock in the lineouts, and how Ryan Smith does when he comes on.

Also hopefully we get enough of a lead/Thorn has more confidence in Straker than Nasser, Tupou has been putting in big minutes week after week and while it's impressive, I'm not sure it's ideal.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Like the back line changes, interested to see how we go with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at lock in the lineouts, and how Ryan Smith does when he comes on.

Also hopefully we get enough of a lead/Thorn has more confidence in Straker than Nasser, Tupou has been putting in big minutes week after week and while it's impressive, I'm not sure it's ideal.

Not just the line outs also the locks tend to be the engine house taking it up in heavy rucks. How much lock has ASY (Angus Scott-Young) played?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not just the line outs also the locks tend to be the engine house taking it up in heavy rucks. How much lock has ASY (Angus Scott-Young) played?

none professionally I don't believe. Played there a bit at school and some at club

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I feel like his ruck work is up to it, and I'm reasonably confident his scrum work will be too, it's really the lineout where we both need to improve and I'm not sure how he'll go. Could be quite well though, Jake Schatz was always an excellent option for us and Angus is not too dissimilar to him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jeez, in feb you couldn’t have convinced me this would be the forward pack starting together
4. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Liam Wright – Easts ©
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Really only ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in for Rodda in a lot of people’s wish list for the back five .

I actually like it , gets our best footballers on the park at the same time .

The accuracy at the breakdown should be about as good as the Reds can be with that starting pack . It’s an area that Blyth ( and Hockings when he was still around) still need to improve.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Blythe and JP Smith injured?

I'm glad they made the back line changes at the Reds. Still would have liked to see Mafi starting but I guess they don't want to change a winning front row.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Angus Scott-Young’s game style is very much like your classic hard working lock anyway, so that side of things should be fine.

I guess the two big questions is whether he will give us the grunt we need in scrums and at the breakdown, and whether he is ready to step up as a primary line out target in an already misfiring lineout. Two pretty big issues, but if he can make a half decent fist of those then it’ll go a long way to getting us the win.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Team announcement – Round 3 – Reds vs Force

Both Sampson and captain Ian Prior are “excited” to be return to Queensland for the hotly anticipated match-up.
“Suncorp is a fantastic stadium to play at,” Prior said. “It’ll be special to play in front of family and friends again; I can’t wait to get out there.”
“We have fond memories of Brisbane and Queensland rugby, so to go there and get a win over the Reds would certainly be a nice feeling, it adds a little bit of extra motivation,” Sampson noted.
The skipper is expecting a fierce encounter on Friday night.
“They’re coached by Brad Thorn who prides himself on physicality and energy. They’ve got a good group of young players that have been developing nicely, so it’ll be a challenge, but one we’re certainly looking forward to,” Prior added.

Read more.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Angus Scott-Young’s game style is very much like your classic hard working lock anyway, so that side of things should be fine.

I guess the two big questions is whether he will give us the grunt we need in scrums

I think you'll mince the Force scrum regardless of who is playing lock. The Force scrum will get a bit stronger when Greg Holmes comes on but it will still be a lot weaker than the Reds scrum.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think you'll mince the Force scrum regardless of who is playing lock. The Force scrum will get a bit stronger when Greg Holmes comes on but it will still be a lot weaker than the Reds scrum.

Whenever we talk scrums the focus is always on the front row, but I think we generally undersell how important a good scrummaging lock is. Clearly super teams are prepared to take the risk and we’ve seen plenty of guys like Hanigan, Jones and Fardy fill the role of light weight lock for a net gain to their team, but it is still a material risk IMO to put a guy on their with minimal prior experience.

I’ll be interested what side they put him on. Normally you’d prefer your best scrummaging lock at TH, but given Tupou is by far our strongest prop maybe they’ll put Salakaia-Loto on the LH side to try and help Hoopert.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whenever we talk scrums the focus is always on the front row, but I think we generally undersell how important a good scrummaging lock is.

I just don't think that the switch between Blyth/Tualima to ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is going to make a material difference against a scrum that was pretty even with the Tahs and possibly slightly weaker until Greg Holmes came on.