• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 10 - Rebels v Force, 3.00pm AEST Sat 5th September

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I said before the start of the season, anything other than top two would be failure of a campaign, I still stand by that. I think the Rebels have been seriously disappointing this competition and that Wessels has done his time and a new man in charge should be found, our play is stale and I think his ran out of ideas.
yeah, unfortunately i'm inclined to agree. this is his third year in charge, of what is in all respects has been a pretty good squad (relative that is). i suspect that he will be given another year, and if the Rebels win their remaining three games he should be. not that confident they will be play more than one tbh.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
yeah, unfortunately i'm inclined to agree. this is his third year in charge, of what is in all respects has been a pretty good squad (relative that is). i suspect that he will be given another year, and if the Rebels win their remaining three games he should be. not that confident they will be play more than one tbh.

Before you loosen the blokes head from his neck, please make sure that what is next is palpably better.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Before you loosen the blokes head from his neck, please make sure that what is next is palpably better.
Agree and the horizon is bare, ive been a big fan of his but the results so far are undeniably underwhelming. He is still clearly learning the trade, the question is how long the Rebels can afford a coach who is learning on the job. I may of course be completely over estimating the ability of the players to learn anything

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I originally came from Castlemaine. Cassel-maine, if you like.

Nothing irks me more than hearing some wanker pronouncing it K-arse-hole-maine.

I think the correct way to pronounce a place name is the way the locals do... so Newk-arse-l it is.

Mr Wobbly my home town is Hepburn Springs. I got my driver's license in Castlemaine.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Expecting To'omua, Meakes, Hodge and DHP at 10, 12, 13 and 15

Magnay injured apparently.

Interesting one will be Lomani and Tuttle who starts.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Expecting To'omua, Meakes, Hodge and DHP at 10, 12, 13 and 15

Magnay injured apparently.

Interesting one will be Lomani and Tuttle who starts.

Have you dropped Deegan?

Lomani's passing wasn't great last week but he's been pretty good generally. Usually I'd be happy to see Tuttle get a start but this is a big game to bring someone in. Bit risky, IMHO.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I originally came from Castlemaine. Cassel-maine, if you like.

Nothing irks me more than hearing some wanker pronouncing it K-arse-hole-maine.

I think the correct way to pronounce a place name is the way the locals do... so Newk-arse-l it is.
That'd be Newie.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Finals should of been the top 2 teams and thats it. True, you can only compete in the competition you have, but at least make playing finals suitably difficult. If the Rebels do manage to sneak in I can see the Rugby media lauding it as a triumph for the team.
I disagree. In a condensed season, im comfortable with the semid going down to the wire. Apart from the Force and Brumbies theres a bees dick between the Reds, Rebs and Tahs. If it was the top 2, then this game would be dead rubber and get Zero ratings. The Rebels have beaten the Reds and Brumbiesrumbies during the season did they not? The Tahs are a win apiece against those 2. I'm happy to see an extra week of Super Rugby because they've been good games

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Finals should of been the top 2 teams and thats it. True, you can only compete in the competition you have, but at least make playing finals suitably difficult. If the Rebels do manage to sneak in I can see the Rugby media lauding it as a triumph for the team.

and deny ourselves 2 weeks of what will be some of the highest tv ratings of the year?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have you dropped Deegan?

Lomani's passing wasn't great last week but he's been pretty good generally. Usually I'd be happy to see Tuttle get a start but this is a big game to bring someone in. Bit risky, IMHO.
Can’t remember which reporter I saw said Magnay was out and DHP will play as will Meakes. That’s the only combo I think makes sense with those changes. Only other one would be Hodge to the wing with Meakes at 13 (Kellaway out) but can’t see that happening

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Very importantly aligned with the tv negotiations. Final round and finals, I’d be surprised if that was a coincidence.
Regardless of whether 3 top teams from 5 making finals is too many, at least the top team going straight to the final rewards the best team from the Hone and Away season. It has meant most teams have been in the race for the entire comp and that makes it more interesting than I thought it might be.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Regardless of whether 3 top teams from 5 making finals is too many, at least the top team going straight to the final rewards the best team from the Hone and Away season. It has meant most teams have been in the race for the entire comp and that makes it more interesting than I thought it might be.
I like it. Am a fan of the system been used.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree and the horizon is bare, ive been a big fan of his but the results so far are undeniably underwhelming. He is still clearly learning the trade, the question is how long the Rebels can afford a coach who is learning on the job. I may of course be completely over estimating the ability of the players to learn anything

I'd be happy to see Wessels get another year. This season has been pretty tough, especially for the Rebels and the Force.

I do think the assistants need to be put under the microscope though, particularly Foote and Berne. Parling seems to be doing a good job and is worth keeping. A couple of new, experienced assistants might be good for Dave's development too.

I wonder if Damien Hill is getting tired of eating onigeri yet? I reckon he'd be an awesome attack coach.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd be happy to see Wessels get another year. This season has been pretty tough, especially for the Rebels and the Force.

I do think the assistants need to be put under the microscope though, particularly Foote and Berne. Parling seems to be doing a good job and is worth keeping. A couple of new, experienced assistants might be good for Dave's development too.

I wonder if Damien Hill is getting tired of eating onigeri yet? I reckon he'd be an awesome attack coach.
yeah poach Jim McKay and dump Berne

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I disagree. In a condensed season, im comfortable with the semid going down to the wire. Apart from the Force and Brumbies theres a bees dick between the Reds, Rebs and Tahs. If it was the top 2, then this game would be dead rubber and get Zero ratings. The Rebels have beaten the Reds and Brumbiesrumbies during the season did they not? The Tahs are a win apiece against those 2. I'm happy to see an extra week of Super Rugby because they've been good games

Did not beat the Reds, we drew and lost.

Brumbies 1 W 1 L
Reds 1 D 1 L
Tahs 1 W 1 L
Force 1 D (W in extra time) ?

Add that to losing to the Sunwolves its been a pretty tough year to follow the Rebels

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
So it’s Tuttle at 9 with Pincus on the wing for Kellaway. Pack the same as last week. Numerous changes on the bench

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
9664IrjuisLrNccdxkzhscGqZlGVcGC3SYxqmB0MrimltWMVvb1pI0LTmX3nsU-Yavgh-UHdZgrgkXiSFlfGA1WrBLFK8d4wC9HsEQ-zHVeJZ9RhEaO9ESz4XaU9CoBDMAIa492zxk-A7UgLfw=s0-d-e1-ft