• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 5 Brumbies v Reds Saturday 7.15 GIO Stadium

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Man for man the Reds were much better. Apart from FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Simone I wouldnt rate any brumby over a reds player.

Good game but I brumbies need to find another move other than a rolling maul to be considered a great team.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
First up, the Reds should have won that game and was more of a heart breaker than the loss back in January.

It took a while for the Reds to get going and for all the commentary on the high tackles, the majority of those were called by the AR's but Berry saw the one on half time for himself and it wasn't a check, check from the TMO.

The Reds were warned before the first 2 tries and the chat from Berry following those tries was that if the Brumbies didn't score, then players would have been in the bin.

I thought Wilson was the best from the Reds in blanket finish from a few others in the Reds and got through a mountain of work and it was good to see Petaia back after a long time out, even if it was on the wing.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
MAfI Single handedly lost that game for the reds in the line out

Mafi’s lineout was definitely not great. But the loss at the front by ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (I think) in the dying minutes was a good play. That should have been secured and the Reds play the game out.

It’s been said numerous times on these forums but I think Mafi needs a start to get his line out jitters out of the way. He offers much of the same in the scrum and more around the field than BPA imho but his line out has been very very poor, I think you can chalk a lot to coming on under pressure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just don’t get the hype on Valetini.

I’ve tried to watch him closely given the hype about him. Clearly lots of others share your opinion, and he has started ever game from memory in the Brumbies back row so obviously they’re happy with him.

But for mine he isn’t consistently physically dominant. He makes some solid hits, but I’ve seen him shrugged off or driven back plenty too. He didn’t have a great work rate, he isn’t accurate at the break down and he rarely jumps.

I remember watching him in the NRC a few years ago and thinking he was going to be very good. But I don’t really see it all now.

Edit: Simone & Samu on the other hand - terrific players

You might have mistaken him with someone else, but he's the guy in the number 6 jersey rag dolling Tupou.........

Samu is a terrific player, but Valetini has been the standout backrower for them this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I would take that game over league any day.

I realise this post was early in the game but I fucking love this season. Without NZ we have a highly competitive competition where no team has been destroyed and most of the game are competitive.

I love Super AU and would love it to stay in the current format, two awesome games every week so far and possibly of most importance, no matter which team you support, you have to think you are a chance each week.

I wont bag NRL because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you cannot enjoy a game like tonight despite all the shortcomings you mention then what are you doing on a Rugby forum?

Well, I can enjoy a game and still acknowledge the shortcomings which continue to impacts on its ability to attract the kind of mass support which allow it to continue to compete in the Australian marketplace.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A close game is a good game, but as a Brumbies supporter I wasn't happy with the way they played.........

Kuenzle is too static with the ball and too often they just went wide without going anywhere......... it was some serious Cheika ball.

They're missing Lolesio, but thank god for Simone - he's really becoming quite a player.

Brumbies set piece much improved, and the young locks played well........ Sio's best game all year.

The Reds played better rugby in that middle period of the game, but just too many brainfarts.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What a fantastic game of footy and I'm gutted for the Reds - they really deserved to win that one. I won't lie, when Wilson and Petaia got going in the second half I got a semi. How exciting are those blokes in open play. Both have long term Wallaby written all over them.

I've been watching these games with my boy and his advice for the teams has been consistent this season: fire all hookers. The Reds had the winning of that game and if Mafi's throwing had been better they would have got over the line. I hate singling blokes out for criticism but unfortunately he bottled it at a couple of crucial moments, including with a minute to go after McReight had won them a penalty.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
You might have mistaken him with someone else, but he's the guy in the number 6 jersey rag dolling Tupou...

Samu is a terrific player, but Valetini has been the standout backrower for them this year.
It was a good, driving tackle, but you and I have different descriptions of ‘rag dolled’. He also had another good shot (can’t remember who on) and a couple of good charges. I’ve no doubt you could compile a great highlights video on him and he’d look terrific.

But Derpus was talking Wallaby contention - I just don’t see it. Personally I think Samu has been miles better for you guys.

But that’s just my opinion/observation. I’m aware that the majority think otherwise.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Best defence from the Reds in years. Up on the Brumbies line every time. Some improvement still required in the back’s play and the line out. Petaia is all quality and its great to have him back. Next week should be a corker.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cracker of a game - Reds vs Brumbies have to be the ones playing out in the final.

I was going to comment on quality of players but just too many too comment on.....that was just an excellent contest and great game of rugby you could watch every day of the week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cracker of a game - Reds vs Brumbies have to be the ones playing out in the final.

I was going to comment on quality of players but just too many too comment on...that was just an excellent contest and great game of rugby you could watch every day of the week.

I thought it pretty good to RN, first half was pretty stop start and both teams seemed pretty well just like they were going through patterns at times, for no reason, but after oranges I thought it was a bloody good game, I got impression the players just decided to play and forget training drills! I know there was some dropped ball. but that is what happens when the intensity builds up , not a lot of time for reaction. I really enjoyed it!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Regarding Petaia’s non try at the end of the first half; LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)’s high tackle was by my count 6 phases prior to the try scored. Does the TMO have ambit to go back as far as they like when it’s foul play? Does the two phase rule only apply to minor infringements?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Regarding Petaia’s non try at the end of the first half; LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)’s high tackle was by my count 6 phases prior to the try scored. Does the TMO have ambit to go back as far as they like when it’s foul play? Does the two phase rule only apply to minor infringements?
Yeah my understanding is its unlimited if its foul play.

They really need a report system.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Just watched the game again, and the turning point was JOC (James O'Connor)’s fumbled ball giving the Brumbies the opportunity for their last maul that got them over the line. Mafi’s line outs were disappointing and cost us some metres. The refereeing actually went both ways with the obvious bad decisions not in our favour. We were off side a few times and this wasn’t picked up.
Good solid rugby from the Reds with credits to ASY (Angus Scott-Young) for his unrelenting workload and Wright for his management of the forwards and smart play. These guys are our powerhouse up front.
Petaia Petaia Petaia! Just immense. There is no stopping this lad.