• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 5 Brumbies v Reds Saturday 7.15 GIO Stadium

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Must stay, watching McDermott at the latter stages really made me wonder why Malolua was starting. Granted, later in the game is easier to shine, but he has an edge about him that looks threatening. Even if he looks 12 years old!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
grow up mate.
I can be a rugby union supporter and then recognise that there needs to be improvements in the professional game if it wants to maintain relevancy in Australia. We all sit here whinging about rugby union dying in australia, but when people point out the reasons why, they get told to fuck off. Stick your head back in the sand and just pretend the game will save itself then.

Adam, the rest of the world use the rolling maul and have done so since Adam was a boy. If the Aussies can't maul then we will never improve on No 7 in the world.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm sorry Cheika, still sad that the "Australia way" of rugby bullshit had you embarrassed at the world cup?

This attitude is everything that is wrong with Australian Rugby. It's arrogant and stupid, and guess what? like tonight it's for losers.

If the Wallabies were smart enough to implement a maul like Brumbies they would have had MUCH more success. The game wouldn't be a laughing stock in this country. Grow up and understand the game your watching.

Isn't McKellar headed to the Wallabies? Hopefully we'll see that maul there soon. I actually think the amount of comments the elements of the game are currently getting are actually a reflection of the quality of the game. Which was excellent.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Isn't McKellar headed to the Wallabies? Hopefully we'll see that maul there soon. I actually think the amount of comments the elements of the game are currently getting are actually a reflection of the quality of the game. Which was excellent.
Lord Laurie speculated that the maul could never be as effective at test level. I think he is probably right. Someone would have already been doing it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This is supposed to be the best match of the round. Yet all im seeing is that Australian Super Rugby is so far off the pace in intensity and speed compared to the NRL its not funny.. Too many penalties, too much stopped play, too many knock-ons and scrappy handling around the ruck. Not to mention the maul, it's a blight on the professional game.

Rugby Union really needs to look at the rules if it wants to compete against the NRL in Australia

I would take that game over league any day.

I realise this post was early in the game but I fucking love this season. Without NZ we have a highly competitive competition where no team has been destroyed and most of the game are competitive.

I love Super AU and would love it to stay in the current format, two awesome games every week so far and possibly of most importance, no matter which team you support, you have to think you are a chance each week.

I wont bag NRL because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you cannot enjoy a game like tonight despite all the shortcomings you mention then what are you doing on a Rugby forum?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Lord Laurie speculated that the maul could never be as effective at test level. I think he is probably right. Someone would have already been doing it.

I'm sorry but teams use it all the time, maybe not scoring all their points from it but its used very effectively.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Calm down mate - unlike Cheika im going to succesfully run a political campaign to ban the maul.

Obviously the Brumbies can play rugby. Both Samu and Valetini have a good shout at a Wallaby berth. Their young locks also caused all kinds of problems for the Reds lineout, and their scrum generally held up well against the Reds behemoth.

I also thought Powell and Simone outplayed their counterparts.

I have no real intention of growing up.

I just don’t get the hype on Valetini.

I’ve tried to watch him closely given the hype about him. Clearly lots of others share your opinion, and he has started ever game from memory in the Brumbies back row so obviously they’re happy with him.

But for mine he isn’t consistently physically dominant. He makes some solid hits, but I’ve seen him shrugged off or driven back plenty too. He didn’t have a great work rate, he isn’t accurate at the break down and he rarely jumps.

I remember watching him in the NRC a few years ago and thinking he was going to be very good. But I don’t really see it all now.

Edit: Simone & Samu on the other hand - terrific players

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm sorry Cheika, still sad that the "Australia way" of rugby bullshit had you embarrassed at the world cup?

This attitude is everything that is wrong with Australian Rugby. It's arrogant and stupid, and guess what? like tonight it's for losers.

If the Wallabies were smart enough to implement a maul like Brumbies they would have had MUCH more success. The game wouldn't be a laughing stock in this country. Grow up and understand the game your watching.

Your bloody spot. Dont hate a team for having a strategy. Its part of the beauty of rugby that the game can be effectively played in so many different styles.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can't say the better team won, but a bloody good team did win. Reds just need to find a way. They are close.

Quite right Dru. Brumbies won the first half and Reds won the second. Result could have gone either way and it was a damned good game.

As far as all the negative posters on here are concerned and those who obviously prefer League to Union, Winners are Grinners mates.

See all you Reds again later in the comp and in the final.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would take that game over league any day.

I realise this post was early in the game but I fucking love this season. Without NZ we have a highly competitive competition where no team has been destroyed and most of the game are competitive.

I love Super AU and would love it to stay in the current format, two awesome games every week so far and possibly of most importance, no matter which team you support, you have to think you are a chance each week.

I wont bag NRL because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you cannot enjoy a game like tonight despite all the shortcomings you mention then what are you doing on a Rugby forum?

That was a great game. Played at a great pace. With skill and great physicality.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This game was clear to me that Valetini and Samu are not ahead of Wright or Wilson.

And Tupou needs to start for the Wallabies.
Valetini is absolutely dominant in defence and makes loads of tackles and ruck work. Id rate him a cert if he could lineout. Wilson blis a phenomenon.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I really enjoyed the second half especially when Reds got their mojo in attack. Some of the best attacking rugby this year. Disappointed the Reds didn’t win however lost line outs cost the Reds the game. Reds scrum again very good , it’s becoming such a weapon for them, well done to Brumbies hanging in there and scoring the win. These two sides are well above the standard of the other Aussie sides .

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Great game played with fierce intensity by both teams. Brumbies dominant in the first half and Reds dominant in the second.

Have to say that Reds were very lucky not to have one or two players in the bin in the first half. Penalty count at one stage was 7 against the Reds and one against the Brumbies. Both maul tries in the first half were scored under penalty advantage, and I have no doubt that had they not been scored a Reds player would have been binned in each instance.

JOC (James O'Connor) had his best game at 10 that I've seen from him. Hitting the line and offloading caused many problems for the defense. TT was kept in check pretty much during the whole of the game. Great strength shown by Valetini to push him back a metre or so in a one on one tackle.

Blyth was very effective in his maul defense, and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) had a strong game except for his tackling technique. Frost played well for such a young, inexperienced lock. Could be a bit like Rory Arnold with a few more years under his belt. Wilson and Samu had a good contest and both had impacts on the game.

Not much separated the two packs, maybe an edge to the Reds in scrums and an edge to the Brumbies in lineouts.

The defense of both sides was very committed. Line breaks and tries from general play were at a premium.

Simone was best back on the ground to me, and probably close to MOTM, although FF (Folau Fainga'a) with his two tries is also in the running.