• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Team of the Week

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting that the Rebels got so many players in the starting XV given they only won two of their four games and only one of those was particularly well won.

I don't think Rebels having 5/15 is particularly overrepresented when it's well known they have quality players just little cohesion. Especially when taken into account the Brumbies performance of late (their star players have been underperforming) and the whole "championship team not team of champions".

Waratahs dominate the bench which makes sense, a whole lot of raw talent that's only going to get better.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Rebels having 5/15 is particularly overrepresented when it's well known they have quality players just little cohesion. Especially when taken into account the Brumbies performance of late (their star players have been underperforming) and the whole "championship team not team of champions".

Waratahs dominate the bench which makes sense, a whole lot of raw talent that's only going to get better.

5 out of 23 isn't overrepresented but I would say that 5 out of 15 is when they've won two games in that period with the Brumbies also winning 2 and the Waratahs and Reds 3 each.

I'm not saying it's wrong and I agree with you that the Rebels have probably relied on some quality players with little cohesion elsewhere. It's not a coincidence that Philip and Koroibete in particular are consistent performers and Philip in particular plays in a position that is weak.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
5 out of 23 isn't overrepresented but I would say that 5 out of 15 is when they've won two games in that period with the Brumbies also winning 2 and the Waratahs and Reds 3 each.

I'm not saying it's wrong and I agree with you that the Rebels have probably relied on some quality players with little cohesion elsewhere. It's not a coincidence that Philip and Koroibete in particular are consistent performers and Philip in particular plays in a position that is weak.

Are there many in the starting 15, or the 23, that you would argue should definitely not be there?

Having watched all of the games I would say it looks like a pretty good representation of the form players over the last five weeks. Obviously players that started in all five games have an advantage though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are there many in the starting 15, or the 23, that you would argue should definitely not be there?

Having watched all of the games I would say it looks like a pretty good representation of the form players over the last five weeks. Obviously players that started in all five games have an advantage though.

It is a fabulous form team.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

C. Orr

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
And herewith the GAGR form team of the last 5 rounds.

1. C. Orr (REB)
2. J. Uelese (REB)
3. T. Tupou (RED)
4. M. Philip (REB)
5. L. Solokai-Loto (RED)
6. L. Wright (RED)
7. F. McReight (RED)
8. J. Dempsey (WAR)
9. T. McDermott (RED)
10. J. O’Connor (RED)
11. F. Daugunu (RED)
12. M. To'omua (REB)
13. J. Petaia (RED)
14. M. Koroibete (REB)
15. J. Maddocks (WAR)

16. T. Horton (WAR)
17. T. Robertson (WAR)
18. H. Johnson-Holmes (WAR)
19. A. Blyth (RED)
20. M. Hooper (WAR)
21. J. Gordon (WAR)
22. I. Simone (BRU)
23. T. Wright (BRU)
I think this is very representative of the best players each week.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It seemed to me he was the beneficiary of some lazy voting I.e. people voting for him because others were. There was one week he definitely excelled but since then I think he just got a lot of votes because no one else was standing out, and he kind of became a default. Weird.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I know you dont measure a prop by their general play stats, but this does tell a bit of a story. I just plucked Slipper out to use as an example.
683EFE9B-BADB-4796-B4FC-34E4EF5ACD25.jpeg

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It seemed to me he was the beneficiary of some lazy voting I.e. people voting for him because others were. There was one week he definitely excelled but since then I think he just got a lot of votes because no one else was standing out, and he kind of became a default. Weird.

I think it helped that the rebels scrum performed better than many expected, while at the same time Sio was well out of form and traded starts with Slipper, Tupou was winning so much credit it left the (many) reds looseheads somewhat anonymous.

At the end of the day Orr, Robertson and Cowan were the only looseheads that started all the games in the selection period. Cowan was in the beaten team every week and I don't think it's unreasonable to say Orr outperformed Robertson

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know you dont measure a prop by their general play stats, but this does tell a bit of a story. I just plucked Slipper out to use as an example.
View attachment 11817

Those stats aren't correct. He's played on average 60 minutes except the first game where he played 30. If you're going by stats his are very good.Decent run metres, ruck involvements etc. I think those stats are pre-covid 2020 season.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Team looks pretty good. Front row stocks seem relatively healthy.

I wonder if Maddocks will pip DHP to the jersey. I think he pretty clearly has the potential to surpass him but he can really hit shit patches.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
View attachment 11817
Do you have the same table for the last 5 rounds? I think you’d find it close to reversed.

The only LHPs that have stood out over the last 4 weeks are the ones that have stood out for the wrong reason. Orr has just been the best of a mediocre bunch.

I can’t see him threatening Wallaby selection, but he’s a fair enough selection from this exercise IMO.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He started 6 games.
Tackled at 88%. Averaged 2m/run. Made 3 clean breaks, 4 defenders beaten, 2 try assists and conceded 1.3 penalties a game.

And held up a surprisingly good scrum.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
View attachment 11817
Playing the last 5 games, I would have thought Orr started most for Rebs and Slipper was mostly off the bench. Perhaps that would balance out over the 10 rounds, but we only chose from 5, so 50 odd minutes v 20 seems skewed. Sio for mine was pretty ordinary, so I'm happy with the Orr choice. Were your stars pre COVID?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
View attachment 11817
I’ll think you will find these stats are horribly wrong.

As someone mentioned Orr was just the best of an ordinary bunch.

He has been playing pretty well without been exceptional but his competition has been very ordinary or inconsistently selected.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Playing the last 5 games, I would have thought Orr started most for Rebs and Slipper was mostly off the bench. Perhaps that would balance out over the 10 rounds, but we only chose from 5, so 50 odd minutes v 20 seems skewed. Sio for mine was pretty ordinary, so I'm happy with the Orr choice. Were your stars pre COVID?
ok ignore those, I wondered about the average minutes myself. I’m using union live, they are doing the stats on a per game basis but obviously aren’t updating the player v player one for the post Covid period.

Anyways, I agree that he is a reasonable selection for this exercise, what I was getting at was that he seemed to be getting a disproportions number of votes, almost on a weekly basis.