• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby - I am bored

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fo sho.

Try starting a rugby chant at a Tahs game? I'd get less weird looks if I sprouted horns

Take a ukulele. Seriously, how could anyone be offended, they'd be too busy pissing themselves laughing while simultaneously grooving to the beat. Try it, I dares ya!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
mst - I've been to Hamiltron and the cow bells are just annoying :)

I grew up going to VFL/AFL. I spent many a Saturday watching club rugby and then going to watch VFL for free (it was free after half time). The crowds were unreal. They were always in the game and the banter would flow. It was atmosphere and even for a diehard rugby supporter, I loved it.

This stuff just doesn't happen though. The Aussie rules fans around me bled their team colours. They lived from Saturday afternoon to Saturday afternoon.

Rugby in NZ at least has always been about watching the intricacies of the game. Appreciating a sweet backline move is done with a clap and a reserved cheer not a short fit of outrageous yelling and banging on the boundary fence.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Growing up in Pretoria, I went to Loftus to watch the Bulls from childhood. The fans have always been mental. Tribal for sure. When Western Province or Transvaal were in town they had to seriously increase police presence. The cheap seats were not a pretty picture to say the least.

We hated the Western Province players and fans with an unhealthy passion.

The Bulls fans are still the same. Feral they are for sure, but obsessed with their team.

In SA, a lot of it stems from the Apartheid years. We were isolated so the derbies had to become the be all and end all and it created real tribalism.

Reactions: mst

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder if saying we getting a bit bored with Super rugby just doesn't mean we are now real used to it, I know when talking to League or AFL supporters at work, very very few of them bother watching games not involving teams they support. I know I'm a rugby tragic and tend to watch a reasonable amount of rugby, but do we have to expect everyong to do same or think the game is dying?? I go to club on a sat, watch usually 1st and 2nds play, then whip home to catch s15 games on at night, have tended to just try and watch(or record and watch over brekkie) midnight game from SA if it involves a kiwi team or it between top SA and Aus teams, not sure I have really got bored with it just yet!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder if saying we getting a bit bored with Super rugby just doesn't mean we are now real used to it, I know when talking to League or AFL supporters at work, very very few of them bother watching games not involving teams they support. I know I'm a rugby tragic and tend to watch a reasonable amount of rugby, but do we have to expect everyong to do same or think the game is dying?? I go to club on a sat, watch usually 1st and 2nds play, then whip home to catch s15 games on at night, have tended to just try and watch(or record and watch over brekkie) midnight game from SA if it involves a kiwi team or it between top SA and Aus teams, not sure I have really got bored with it just yet!!

Agree. I pretty much only watch the Crusaders & whoever we've got next. Other NZ games I'll record & browse for the interesting bits, if I know there's none I'll just erase it unseen. Just 'cos I don't watch & re-watch every game every week doesn't mean I don't love the game, just that I'm choosy about what I watch.

Reactions: mst

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The gatekeepers at the SFS would probably disagree.

Shit, the Suncorp security wouldn't even let us take in a packet of potato chips.

Pre game entertainment next year is the competition as to who can smuggle the chips in.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Got me wondering, as it stands, and with the proposed cuts still pending, who are your most watchable teams? When you see a team listed for a 1am kickoff from the Republic do you think “fahhk gotta stay awake for that one” or “go fuck yourselves, last time I watched you c**ts it was a solid shit turnpike which bottlenecked straight into a tectonic-plate sized cul de sac of bubbling sewage. Done with you c**ts.”

All subjective but for me as of today its…

1 Chiefs: Hell on toast with an Interstellar Overdrive option.

2 Hurricanes: run forrest run. Only reason they don’t get top spot is Beaudy’s over-reliance on the crossfield kick.

3 Blues: all the potential, still none of the brains (at least after 60 mins when they get altitude sickness and enter brain shutdown stage)

4 Highlanders : wee bit too much kicky kicky but man still, they are good.

5 Crusaders: they are quite good to watch IF I imagine them all in black

6 SunWolves : they are total shit but they really have a crack

7 Cheetahs: enterprising stuff

8 Lions: have a go but not as cats pajamasey as they fancy themselves to be.

9 S. Kings: better to burn out than it is to rust.

10 Jaguares: pretty fucken dumb considering their side on paper

11 Sharks: actually not bad to watch now that some of their young bleck wide players have come along

12 Rebels: drag teams down to their bollock levels. Not watching this shit

13 Reds: great on paper, half the time they play like spoiled shits. Not watching

14 Stormers: Imagination bypassed horseshit

15 Waratahs: spoilt toff children who hate their coach.

16 Brumbies: Bumbreeze, Bumbores, no, no, no.

17 Force: talentless and unable to find tryline but at least they do try. Unlike…

18 Bulls: they clearly hate playing rugby in 2017, hate each other, hate the coach, hate the fans and frankly just hate the whole motherfucking experience of being goddamn alive.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I literally only get enjoyment out of Australian derbys these days.

Occasionally a NZ vs Aus game if its reasonably contested but once a NZ team breaks their opponent and punches in the coordinates for hyperspace its just smug Polynesian-basketball, jailbreak rugby which breaks my heart and leaves me sitting there counting down the seconds until one of the commentators mentions the conference system.

South African teams just leave me wondering "who the fuck are these blokes" and I'm really indifferent to that lot overall.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I literally only get enjoyment out of Australian derbys these days.

Occasionally a NZ vs Aus game if its reasonably contested but once a NZ team breaks their opponent and punches in the coordinates for hyperspace its just smug Polynesian-basketball, jailbreak rugby which breaks my heart and leaves me sitting there counting down the seconds until one of the commentators mentions the conference system.

South African teams just leave me wondering "who the fuck are these blokes" and I'm really indifferent to that lot overall.

Hell Micheal, you probably miss a lot of good rugby if you only watch Aus derbies, there some bloody good games from NZ apart from ones involving Aus teams, I also watch most Aus games, and pick a few SA derbies that I think will be good.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
New Zealand derbies are amazing.

Everything else gives me the shits, and I much prefer to watch NH or Sevens if the Rebels aren't playing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I only get enjoyment from watching NZ v NZ matches, and, to a lesser degree, NZ v 'best of the rest'.

The majority of the pure NZ derbies are peerless advertisements for the essential qualities - entertaining and otherwise - of rugby union as a code all played to and with very high skill and athletic standards.

If the Australian Super teams played at or near 2017 NZ standards and type of play, the game would be in infinitely better shape in this country than it is.

The marvellous improvement in common skills the NZ teams are showing in 2017 has made an already very bad situation for Australian rugby worse, not just in terms of raw w-l rates, but just as much in terms of shaming us in front of our rapidly dwindling fan base in terms of how our core rugby skills have in parallel degraded in both absolute and relative-to-NZ terms.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I only get enjoyment from watching NZ v NZ matches, and, to a lesser degree, NZ v 'best of the rest'.

The majority of the pure NZ derbies are peerless advertisements for the essential qualities - entertaining and otherwise - of rugby union as a code all played to and with very high skill and athletic standards.

If the Australian Super teams played at or near 2017 NZ standards and type of play, the game would be in infinitely better shape in this country than it is.

The marvellous improvement in common skills the NZ teams are showing in 2017 has made an already very bad situation for Australian rugby worse, not just in terms of raw w-l rates, but just as much in terms of shaming us in front of our rapidly dwindling fan base in terms of how our core rugby skills have in parallel degraded in both absolute and relative-to-NZ terms.

I hate NZ derbies - albeit for the fact that they make me bash my head in with how shit Australian teams.

games in SA are painful because the refs are generally fucking partisan

AUS v NZ - lubrication required (and fuck the smugass NZ fans who rub it in)

AUS derby - drink

Reds - drink

I've watched like 10 games I think - fuck the ARU

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We have just about stopped watching games live. Now I record the games that might be interesting, but watching a game right through is now a rarity.

Watching a game right through without prolific use of the fast forward option just never happens.

We would actually prefer to watch the SS.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I had the option today - go to or watch the Tahs, or play golf. I played golf, not at my best, but it was a nice walk on a beautiful day, catching up with a good mate, and the only one disappointing me was me.
Otherwise, love watching the NZ derbies to see how high quality, accurate and enterprising rugby is played.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Had no interest in going to the Tahs today. Man flu and was looking forward to just sitting on the couch but the kids dragged me out.
Really glad I did. Sun was shining. Good atmosphere and enjoyable game.

Enjoy the NZ derbies but usually only get to watch the Friday night ones when I'm at work.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I played golf
Footage coming through. Not flash.

golf.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.