• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby QF 2023 Brumbies vs Hurricanes:

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
The rabbit punch on Hooper in a Bledisloe was pretty dicky, but yeah well spoken and a super competitor.

Absolute 50/50 at the end. Could have easily seen that going the Canes way, just the onfield decision being no try.

Good thing for Tom Wright the Brumbies got home. He would’ve copped it deluxe from the Canes if they had of pinched it at the death there.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
I reckon Noah would have copped it worse, the shit grubber on halfway gave the canes the ball and a last chance. Very lucky. Superb effort from the whole side to hold them out at the end though.

Tom Hooper anyone? Some huge tackles in that passage. Maybe the WC is too soon but he's the future.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s the same as always - he’s typically very good, but when he fucks up he often fucks up deluxe
Genuinely I’ve somehow missed it. What did he do?

Or are we talking about the ball to the head - which wasn’t good - but I’m assuming something proceeded that.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Thoroughly enjoyed that game definitely the best quarter final and salivating at 2 great semis next weekend
Likewise. That was a real quality finals standard game. The Brumbies defence in particular was excellent for most of that game (that try by Flanders from the scrum aside). A very high degree of physicality that I hope doesn't leave the tank too empty come the next game.

I feel like the Brumbies almost let the emotion of the occasion led to them becoming a little unstuck. That questionable cleanout on White led to a sequence for the Canes which really let them back into the game with Ardie crashing over soon after. Up until that point I felt like the Brumbies were controlling things well. The Canes looked to be really struggling with their go forward, often back peddling and players like Jodie really had limited impact on the game.

I reckon Noah would have copped it worse, the shit grubber on halfway gave the canes the ball and a last chance. Very lucky. Superb effort from the whole side to hold them out at the end though.

Tom Hooper anyone? Some huge tackles in that passage. Maybe the WC is too soon but he's the future.

Yes, that poorly executed grubber wasn't his finest moment. I'm pretty sure he's had a few that he's failed thread this season. The missed conversion aside, I actually felt Debreczeni played his role really well in this game.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Genuinely I’ve somehow missed it. What did he do?

Or are we talking about the ball to the head - which wasn’t good - but I’m assuming something proceeded that.
Nah he had a good game aside from a few errant passes and the post-try blowup.

But the ball to the head (and the hand to the face that followed) exemplify his major shortcoming - brain snaps that can be very, very costly. He was lucky tonight that that wasn’t dealt with further.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Some poor passing from him at times well behind the man but overall he was very good. I think he gets judged a bit hard because we can see the talent but also want to see the brain farts dropped and it’s not quite there yet. I’m sure I’ve been stuff like the ball to the head get given as a penalty (after the conversion) before. The passion is great but I’d love our potential Wallabies fullback to have ice in his veins. One of the reasons I’d personally still prefer Kellaway (but this is the wrong thread so apologies).

Ripping game and am thrilled an Aussie team progressed through.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Can imagine the meltdown on this forum if the hometown ref crew had dudded their team like that
Clearly hand under the ball it's clear cut. Berry was decent but gave the away team way more 50/50s than he should have. Great game. Better team won and deserved it

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, gotta agree, that looked held up, so good call, but I reckon if Berry had called "on field try" there's no way the TMO over-rules.
I disagree the ball is an inch off the ground. Can clearly see the tape from Reimers wrist under the ball

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Has anyone seen this supposed angle of Savea getting the ball down?

I'm a one eyed brumbies fan but honestly I thought it was pretty conclusively held up

griffins

Bill Watson (15)

I'm a one eyed brumbies fan but honestly I thought it was pretty conclusively held up
Suspect one of the shots would have shown it but Canes number 20 got in the way. I think he did probably catch a blade of grass, but not for long.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

No, because no such angle exists. He forced it on a brumbies arm, end of. NZ can’t just admit they got beat