• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby QF 2023 Brumbies vs Hurricanes:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Has anyone seen this supposed angle of Savea getting the ball down?

I'm a one eyed brumbies fan but honestly I thought it was pretty conclusively held up
I’ve only seen footage of it being held up but Paul Cully wrote a meltdown piece claiming the rules need to be changed so that commonsense dictates that momentum would have been enough that he surely grounded it.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Has anyone seen this supposed angle of Savea getting the ball down?

I'm a one eyed brumbies fan but honestly I thought it was pretty conclusively held up
It's not neccesarily about the ball being conclusively held up, but moreso the onfield decision. If the call was the opposite, it most likely would have been called a try because they cant prove it didn't touch a blade of grass.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not neccesarily about the ball being conclusively held up, but moreso the onfield decision. If the call was the opposite, it most likely would have been called a try because they cant prove it didn't touch a blade of grass.
No ref sends it up as a try without having seen a grounding - except Ben O’Keeffe.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We’ve all scored tries like that haven’t we? It’s like the cricket catch going forward. Look at the controversy with Cameron Green overnight. Reality is you don’t really know. You know you got downward pressure but you can’t be 100% on whether the ball touched the ground.

But most try scorers are always adamant they got it down and most defenders adamant they didn’t.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
No ref sends it up as a try without having seen a grounding - except Ben O’Keeffe.
Exactly, even as someone who Tipped the canes, you cannot clearly say he scored. The thing that should be discussed is why the fuck did Barett not pass the ball. Would have been the easiest try.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I’ve only seen footage of it being held up but Paul Cully wrote a meltdown piece claiming the rules need to be changed so that commonsense dictates that momentum would have been enough that he surely grounded it.
Momentum forces solid objects to pass through each other? Paul Cully might need a physics class

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree. If Paul Cully wrote that it’s an idiotic thing to say.

Pretty sure none of the Brumbies fans think there needs to be a rule change today.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

download

Reactions: mst

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just got round to watching it.

Ikitau is your best attacking and defensive player. Can’t believe how young he is.

Very happy for Debreczeni to play in a successful team after years with the Rebels.

Tom Wright at wing for Wallabies, can’t have him as last line of défense, the bloke hates tackling whereas Kellaway loves chopping big fellas. Three times this season Wright has genuinely avoided tackling runaway flankers. Let them run past him as if he was the fullback for the u14s D team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Paul Cully bias against the Australian game is well established. He’s just taking another opportunity to stick a boot in
Couldn't agree more. I subscribe to the SMH (both print and internet versions, not cheap, but I want to support proper journalism). I am on a readers' panel, and I am going to complain about this flea.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Couldn't agree more. I subscribe to the SMH (both print and internet versions, not cheap, but I want to support proper journalism). I am on a readers' panel, and I am going to complain about this flea.

Doesn't sugarcoat anything but ridiculous to suggest he's biased against Aus rugby. Well researched and knows the game, certainly the best technical knowledge of any of the journos working for traditional newspapers. Also doesn't push a personal agenda (like Doran's long running quest to get Cheika back, which isn't totally dead yet).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't think this is true. Plenty of maul tries get awarded on the basis of probability that there were no defenders in the way of getting the ball down although the referee also didn't conclusively see a grounding.

I agree that BOK made a shocking decision in that Blues vs Tahs game with the help of the assistant.

I also agree with Nic Berry's decision here. He didn't see a grounding and it was a defender that was trying to prevent it. He shouldn't award it without seeing the grounding.

If Berry had awarded the try it would have stayed a try. Likewise if the laws were different and it gets sent to the TMO with no decision made by the referee I think it stays no try because there is no evidence that one was scored.

I think the current process is fine. I'd prefer referees to make a call and then it gets confirmed or overturned.