• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 6 Stormers vs Reds Sun 25th 2.15 AEDST

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Is it possible the Reds have the best scrum in Super Rugby?
I can't think of anyone who has looked better at the moment.

Nah its not the best scrum, it has a lot of potential but they are still failing to execute it effectively.
They losing too many on their own feed(86% success on own feed) and the back row is overcommitting at times when they should be staying a bit looser, that try conceded against the Jaguares was very similar to one they conceded in the pre-season trials. Also they're struggling to control the ball at the back when the scrums going forward, thats a weakness of Timu's at the moment.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Nah its not the best scrum, it has a lot of potential but they are still failing to execute it effectively.
They losing too many on their own feed(86% success on own feed) and the back row is overcommitting at times when they should be staying a bit looser, that try conceded against the Jaguares was very similar to one they conceded in the pre-season trials. Also they're struggling to control the ball at the back when the scrums going forward, thats a weakness of Timu's at the moment.

I do agree they aren't the best. But I'm not sure who I would say is better yet.
I think success rate is a deceptive stat, frankly half the time the Ref just makes it up. And you are spot on that the back row overcommitting, I think Higgers and or Smith at 6/7 will fix that when they are back. Smith in particularly is going to kill some poor halfback trying to pinch some meters. Regarding Timu at the back he is struggling I don't think it'll be an issue as Higgers will slot into 8 and should fix that control issue.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Revolution will be victorious, comrades.

ATTENTION FELLOW COMREDS!

IT IS TIME TO STRIKE. GENERAL THORN HAS ASSEMBLED THE PEOPLE'S ARMY AND IS PREPARING TO STRIKE AGAINST THE EVIL CAPITALIST PORK OF WESTERN PROVINCE. JOIN THE GLORIOUS RED ARMY, FELLOW COMREDS AS WE MARCH TO CAPE TOWN.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
ATTENTION FELLOW COMREDS!

IT IS TIME TO STRIKE. GENERAL THORN HAS ASSEMBLED THE PEOPLE'S ARMY AND IS PREPARING TO STRIKE AGAINST THE EVIL CAPITALIST PORK OF WESTERN PROVINCE. JOIN THE GLORIOUS RED ARMY, FELLOW COMREDS AS WE MARCH TO CAPE TOWN.

Thorn's saboteurs have cut off the Stormers water supply, while bringing in 2,000 litres on an Aussi bushfire plane.
He is going to place bottles of water behind the Stormers goal line to distract them.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Crusaders scrum is a beast when at full strength. Kitshoff is probably the premier prop in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment in my opinion at least.

Been part of the Stormers setup since he was 19 or so and is 26 now. Just starting to reach his potential now as is customary for props I suppose.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Certainly made me look twice when he posted it, given the weather.

His Instagram stories were all from the airport. As an aside, he and Slipper are absolutely killing it on Instagram this tour, top shelf content.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

^^^^^
some funny stuff on there

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Crusaders scrum is a beast when at full strength. Kitshoff is probably the premier prop in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment in my opinion at least.

Been part of the Stormers setup since he was 19 or so and is 26 now. Just starting to reach his potential now as is customary for props I suppose.

Stormers are fortunate to have Ginga and JC. JC is very experience and technical very sound. Wilco is by far the best SA TH. Damian Willemse broer Samuels had a very good game last week. Both need to find their feet but very talented.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Paal
Stormers will shit in, particularly after the SA Government's intervention in the travel scandal.

Stormers by 60 +:D

Thorn's Lads are going to go to WAR!!!!!!@#!

Reds to demolish the Stormers scrum!
Then demolish the stadium, and salt the earth so that nothing ever grows there again; least of all the stormers hopes and dreams!

Seriously though, I have a feeling we will finally see an opposition YC, a Penalty Try, or a push over off the back of our scrum dominance. The lads have been slowly putting it together and you can see Tupou and Slipper and the others have been figuring out how to scrum together as a unit. They appear to have gotten over the jitters you expect from a new scrummaging unit. And dear lord that second front row would strike fear into the heart of a brick wall if you asked them to push through it.

T

TOCC

Reds lineout is currently performing better then their scrum IMO, and the Stormers actually have a struggling lineout at the moment.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have mentioned it a couple of times, but I do think that Douglas finding his mojo again has to be making a massive difference.

Not just in the sum total of his individual efforts this year vs last, but as a real ‘follow me’ type example for the young guys.

He seems to fit perfectly into the psyche - no fuss, no carry on, just get off the line quickly and level people.

T

TOCC

His form has certainly improved, It’s hard to pick a Reds forward who isnt playing well though. It’ll be interesting to see where the balance in the pack is when Tui returns, offers more impact then Douglas but less workrate

T

TOCC

Reds game plan will be simple, kick long to the corners, go for the lineouts, try and play territory, and avoid it turning into a high tempo game. They’re going to be fatigued and drained from the last 2 weeks of travel and will try and play to that.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Duncan Paia’aua back at 12 to offer another kicking option in the backline. I also think Higgers will definetly start now given the travel schedule, he also brings another very good lineout option. Some more rotation at hooker is likely too IMO.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Reds game plan will be simple, kick long to the corners, go for the lineouts, try and play territory, and avoid it turning into a high tempo game. They’re going to be fatigued and drained from the last 2 weeks of travel and will try and play to that.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Duncan Paia’aua back at 12 to offer another kicking option in the backline. I also think Higgers will definitely start now given the travel schedule, he also brings another very good lineout option.

Here I was thinking you were going to say Higgers offers another kicking option too...:cool:

I think it's possible we see Stewart and Paia'aua start and Lance finish the second half. (But I would :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.