1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Brumbies v Reds

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by RugbyReg, Jan 26, 2020.

1. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

Friday night @ 7:15pm local time
    GIO Stadium
  2. Silverado Trevor Allan (34)

Are there still issues with air quality? Canberra airport was shut last week due to smoke haze. I'm hoping it goes ahead because I think these 2 will be duking it out for the Australian conference
  3. Brumby Jack Steve Williams (59)

No, but it will be 40 so still high 30's by kickoff. The airport was shut because there was a fire right next to it.
    Silverado likes this.
  4. Adam84 Bob Davidson (42)

Going to take a stab, Rodda and Smith back from Injury; bench is a little odd, but I think that’s because Petaia will only play 60mins as he builds his minutes again.

1 JP Smith
    2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
    3 Taniela Tupou
    4 Lukhan Salakai-Loto
    5 Izack Rodda
    6 Angus Scott-Young
    7 Liam Wright
    8 Harry Wilson
    9 Tate McDermott
    10 Isaac Lucas
    11 Henry Speight
    12 James O'Connor
    13 Jordan Petaia
    14 Jock Campbell
    15 Bryce Hegarty

16 Alex Mafi
    17 Dane Zander
    18 Dave Feao
    19 Angus Blythe
    20 Seru Uru
    21 Moses Sorovi
    22 Hunter Paisami
    23 Hamish Stewart
    RugbyReg and The Nomad like this.
  5. dru Mark Ella (57)

Like it. I’d have Zander and Smith swapped for his return and don’t know enough about Paisami to comment. Looks close to where the trials we’re heading.
    Adam84 likes this.
  6. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Should be a hard fought match. Un-rugby like heat could turn it either way.

I expect the Brumbies to look something like :

1 Sio
    2 Fainga'a
    3 Ala'alatoa
    4 Douglas
    5 Swain
    6 Valetini
    7 Cusack
    8 Samu
    9 Powell
    10 Lolesio
    11 Pulu
    12 Simone
    13 Kuridrani
    14 Wright
    15 Banks

16 McInerney
    17 Lloyd
    18 Slipper
    19 Neville
    20 McCaffrey
    21 Lonergan R
    22 Keunzle
    23 Muirhead

Personally, I'd rather see Brown at 7 and Keunzle at 10, but I don't expect that to happen. If Enever is fit, I'd prefer him to Neville and maybe to start in place of Douglas. I most certainly would prefer Issac Fines as the bench No 9, but Ryan has good history with the Brumbies now and I expect him to come off the bench. Kata and Hanson both unlucky to miss out.

From trial form, I think that neither Lolesio or Keunzle at 10 will suffer against the likes of Lucas or Harrison when they meet. I think the Brumbies are a more settled squad and team and if they reproduce last year's form they should take the win in this game. But the Reds are on the rise and a win by them would not surprise.
    The Nomad and molman like this.
  7. molman Alex Ross (28)

BR, I agree re: Fines. There was some real spark about him over at the Force. Your team list is pretty similar to what I expect.
  8. Adam84 Bob Davidson (42)

Brumbies certainly the favourites in this match, that rolling maul is worth 10 points and starting wallaby props will cause headaches at the scrum. I think the Reds backrow-backline pose the greater attacking threat, whether they will get the clean ball to demonstrate that will be a critical factor.
  9. Brumby Jack Steve Williams (59)

Lonergan will be there for his goal kicking and Brown might be there too considering McCaffrey only just got back from Japan.
  10. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Smoke being reported to have returned to Canberra. Hopefully will dissipate before Friday, but the heat could make proceedings very uncomfortable.
  11. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Underestimate the Brumbies backline at peril, Adam. Essentially the same as last year minus CLL, and I seem to recall they easily topped the try scoring in the Aussie teams while being near the top in the competition overall. Even disregarding the rolling maul tries, they were still at least on par with the Aussie sides iirc.
  12. Adam84 Bob Davidson (42)

Why is it an underestimation of the Brumbies to say i think the Reds backs pose the greater attacking threat?

Ok, well how about the Brumbies have the better forwards and better backs, should be an easy win for them then.
  13. Finsbury Girl Ron Walden (29)

^ indeed. ACT should win in a canter, such an embarrassment of riches from 1-23.
  14. Tomikin Mark Loane (55)

Brumbies by 19
  15. Show-n-go Syd Malcolm (24)

Brumbies to win 14+, reds will have a late surge in the final 20

If it were later in the year I’d probably back a reds win but especially early season, forward dominance is king
  16. Penguin Arch Winning (36)

Reds being underestimated. More used to hot weather conditions. Confidence is up. Reds by 5
    Dan54 likes this.
  17. dru Mark Ella (57)

Reds x 5 for me too.
  18. The Nomad Bob Loudon (25)

After the way the Brumbies melted in the heat at Suncorp last year , I hope it is as hot as predicted.

It’s been a brutal preseason temperature wise for the Reds ,might position them well for the final 20 minutes come Friday .
  19. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Two trial matches might have the Reds more prepared for those final 20 minutes too.
  20. MungoMan Chris McKivat (8)

A slender thread to grasp. But I’m reaching for it nonetheless.
    TSR likes this.