• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Sunwolves v Rebels

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I think they will be lucky to win 1 game, a lot of trys against and boost everyone's points difference for the season.

Let's face it, there full time squad is not going to scare anyone. They are a bit different with the number of players from outside the squad at there disposal, just depends on what the higher ups decide to do.

I guess Moondog tipping will be easy as now!

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
That was poor, really poor. Another performance like that and you would have to think it is proof that something is seriously wrong down there. Be it coaching and/or players and/or culture. I only saw the 2nd half and was literally laughing at some of the shit they served up.

The roster they have is much better than their output. I hope they get it right.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that’s what he was suggesting, they are looking worst than the sum of their parts.. They have quality wallabies and super rugby player in their squad, vastly more then the Sunwolves, but the Sunwolves play together much better as a team then the Rebels.
Saids it all - how long have most players and coaches been together vs Sunwolves team together for 4 weeks - and yet it was the latter who played more as a cohesive team.

Team < sum of the parts for rebels and this has been the problem for some time

Yes I do wonder if Wessels will last the season as recent press interview seemed to indicate lacking own confidence as a coach

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Saids it all - how long have most players and coaches been together vs Sunwolves team together for 4 weeks - and yet it was the latter who played more as a cohesive team.

Team < sum of the parts for rebels and this has been the problem for some time

Yes I do wonder if Wessels will last the season as recent press interview seemed to indicate lacking own confidence as a coach
Sack him, we have absolutely no clue what we are trying to achieve it’s so painful to watch.

There is something absolutely wrong with the culture in Melbourne.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hmm I'd hoped there was a method to the madness over how they treated the NRC and trials, but if there was it certainly didn't pay dividends in the first game.

I think the assistant coaches Wessels had when he had at the Force made a bigger difference then we realised, he hasn't been able to replicate the same level of player improvement and squad cohesion since then.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Seems like the players thought they just had to turn up to win. but look at there trial form.. The top players look under cooked the others look like they been pasted twice..

If only they had a couple of trial games to test their combinations before the season began, then they might have been better prepared. Oh wait....

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
No credit given to the Sunwolves here, they played a good game, uptempo with good support & lines. They've got bloody good roster,some accomplished names amongst some that have been overlooked elsewhere. They'll spring a few more wins together this season.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sack him, we have absolutely no clue what we are trying to achieve it’s so painful to watch.

There is something absolutely wrong with the culture in Melbourne.

No credit given to the Sunwolves here, they played a good game, uptempo with good support & lines. They've got bloody good roster,some accomplished names amongst some that have been overlooked elsewhere. They'll spring a few more wins together this season.
That is not true as acknowledged they performed very well and more so as I stated impressive for team together for such a short time

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Sunwolves played well Particularly liked there 10 and 13 with there kicking game and game control. You suppose you gotta remember also they have absolutely no pressure on them and nothing to lose.

But in saying that, the Rebels where poor.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
That is not true as acknowledged they performed very well and more so as I stated impressive for team together for such a short time

Sorry, must have skimmed past the positive sunwolf posts. I mostly noticed a lot of Melbournian gnashing of teeth. I'm hoping the Japanese side can be the competitions entertainers and prove the sanzar big wigs wrong. Again.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sorry, must have skimmed past the positive sunwolf posts. I mostly noticed a lot of Melbournian gnashing of teeth. I'm hoping the Japanese side can be the competitions entertainers and prove the sanzar big wigs wrong. Again.

I know we like to blame SANZAAR, but the JFRU removed their financial backing of the Sunwolves and scrapped any MOU for players to be made available from the Top League. JFRU forced their hand on the situation as far as I’m concerned

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I know we like to blame SANZAAR, but the JFRU removed their financial backing of the Sunwolves and scrapped any MOU for players to be made available from the Top League. JFRU forced their hand on the situation as far as I’m concerned

Pretty sure that the JFRU only decided to pull funding in response to the SARU demanding that they pay for the Saffa teams to travel. No other team has to cover these costs. SANZAAR as usual went along with the SARU.

Well played today, Sunwolves. They were better than us just about everywhere.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Pretty sure that the JFRU only decided to pull funding in response to the SARU demanding that they pay for the Saffa teams to travel. No other team has to cover these costs. SANZAAR as usual went along with the SARU.

I dont think that was the reason JRFU pulled the funding, from all reports JFRU decided to pull funding because they realigned the Top League season and it now overlapped with Super Rugby, JFRUs preference going forward was to improve the Top League competition instead

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

This 100% is a partial reason why it happened. There is massive bad blood between the two unions.