• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby: Round 1. Rebels vs Brumbies - 23 Feb AAMI

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This should be the match of the round. A great contest looming between the two Aussie Super Rugby sides with the best playing rosters in the land. On top of that, it will be the passion of the Rebels trying to secure their future against the experience and winning ways of the Brumbies.

Mouth watering matchups across the park. Rebels particularly strong in the front row while the Brumbies have the edge in the second row. Scrums and Lineouts should be great contests. I would have the Brumbies back row ahead of the Rebels even with Hooper moving to lock.

Halves pairing look about even with Gordon the premier No 10 in the country but with a revitalised Lolesio not far behind, while both Lonergan and Lolesio offer more consistent goal kicking.

Centres and outside backs look to be about the same but with Ikitau and standout and the defensive lynchpin probably giving the Brumbies a better overall defence than the Rebels.

Brumbies likely to also have an edge in cohesion with few changes to the squad in the past couple of years and an established game plan.

Probably a bounce of the ball or a referee's call to be the difference at the end. No matter the result, I won't be the least bit surprised of these two teams top the Aussie sides in Super Rugby this year.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Odd having Muirhead as vice captain. Not that he's not up to it, just that the skipper is a back also. I would have thought Bobby V would be good for the gig.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This is weird to type, I think the Rebels have the better bench for this one.
That may be so KO, but the Brumbies bench is not to be underestimated. Three Wallabies, Pollard, Schoupp and Neville; Kautai has been with the Brums for three or four years now and knows the systems; Brown will be Wallaby eligible (and I think at least under consideration) having been here five years in March; Tua had significant game time in the 12 spot last year. Thorn and Meredith might be little or not known among fans of other teams, but both are excellent players who also had some Super experience last year. Thorn came through the Australia U20s program and is in his third year at the Brumbies. Declan Meredith came to Canberra last year from Cairns and was initially used as fullback. He played No 10 in the John I Dent Cup last year and took away the player of the year award.

I don't think any of that bench will be found wanting if and when called upon.

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gibbon, Uelese, Talakai, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Kemeny, Wilkin, Leota
Maunder, C Gordon, G. Vaihu, Feluai, Dauganu, Anderson, Kellaway
RES: Mafi, IAK, Tupou, Tualima, Ekuasi, Tuttle, Strachan, Jooste
Strachan and Jooste come as a surprise. Carter and Glen Vaihu’s brothers would have been my pick based on their training. Foote probably wanting experience for the first hit out. And I don’t get Tuttle over Lowrens.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Strachan and Jooste come as a surprise. Carter and Glen Vaihu’s brothers would have been my pick based on their training. Foote probably wanting experience for the first hit out. And I don’t get Tuttle over Lowrens.
Tuttle might be there as backup goal kicker, though I suppose Strachan also covers that.

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Alrighty time to put my money where my mouth is. Got my two memberships & bought two more GAs. Will try and hock them off at work. really have no idea how the crowds will respond tonight.
We have all 10 of our family and a heap of friends going this afternoon. One a former AB who knows Carter’s grandfather. The newest addition to our family is our grandson born last year and will be his first ever rugby game. He has a Rebels jersey we had made with Carter 10 on the back. Our favourite Rebel’s player, our favourite Crusader’s great, and his name.
I’ll be watching the Crusaders on my phone.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This should be the match of the round. A great contest looming between the two Aussie Super Rugby sides with the best playing rosters in the land. On top of that, it will be the passion of the Rebels trying to secure their future against the experience and winning ways of the Brumbies.

Mouth watering matchups across the park. Rebels particularly strong in the front row while the Brumbies have the edge in the second row. Scrums and Lineouts should be great contests. I would have the Brumbies back row ahead of the Rebels even with Hooper moving to lock.

Halves pairing look about even with Gordon the premier No 10 in the country but with a revitalised Lolesio not far behind, while both Lonergan and Lolesio offer more consistent goal kicking.

Centres and outside backs look to be about the same but with Ikitau and standout and the defensive lynchpin probably giving the Brumbies a better overall defence than the Rebels.

Brumbies likely to also have an edge in cohesion with few changes to the squad in the past couple of years and an established game plan.

Probably a bounce of the ball or a referee's call to be the difference at the end. No matter the result, I won't be the least bit surprised of these two teams top the Aussie sides in Super Rugby this year.
Absolutely the best rosters in the land, Brumbies season to lose surely!
Excited to watch Reimer destroy the opposition ruck!