• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 5, Waratahs vs Rebels - Sunday 18 March @ 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs absolutely have to bounce back after a dismal performance in Argentina.

Hopefully this match will see some or all of Kepu, Phipps and Simmons returning to the 23.

The Rebels are on fire and will be looking to make it four from four to start the season and put themselves in a dominant position in the Aussie conference.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep, we need Kepu and Simmons badly. Gordon has been playing well, but we have no depth at 9 so whichever is on the bench is a bonus. What are the thoughts on the makeup of the pack if they return? I'd like to see Hanigan at 6 to bulk up the back row, but who partners Simmons could be interesting if that happens. If not, I thought Miller had a good cameo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
With Kepu back hopefully we see the end of Tawake. Ryan to cover LHP, Vui to cover THP. I would still start with Fitzpatrick for his more accurate work at the lineout, & bring Latu on later. If Simmons is fit he comes straight in, Hanigan to 6, Wells to 8 & Holloway and Miller both on the bench. Undecided as to whether Palmer or Staniforth starts at lock.
I would stick with the current backline, although I didn't think Newsome made much of his chances, he gets another go or else big Taqele gets a start.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
On form at the moment there is nothing between Newsome and Rona; that's a coin toss. But Naiyaravoro HAS to come in to 11 to supply some midfield starch because we do not have effective hard-running forwards. Big T should be running on Foley's inside shoulder on every play. Even if the big backrowers get to him we should make it across the gainline and be on the front foot. If he gets one Foley pass in every three the Rebels' defenders will not know whether to slide or not, which will give Beale, Foketi and Folau room to run.

The front row should divert to the design, ie Robertson, Latu, Kepu with Ryan, Fitzpatrick and Vui on the bench. Latu to spend the week practising his throwing.

The back five is problematic whichever combination you choose. I would choose Simmons, Palmer, Hanigan, Wells and Hooper as the guys with the best form to date, though I would tell Hooper to go hard this week because he's only getting 50. Finishers would be Staniforth, Meafua and Miller on a 6:2 bench. The locks need to forget ball carrying, they're terrible at it, their job is to tackle everything that moves and act as cleaners on attack.

Miller covers Gordon till 50 and then goes to open side. Hegarty covers inside backs, the loser of the coin toss for outside. If they work Big T as hard as they should he'll be out of gas by 60 mins. I am assuming Phipps won't be back till after the bye, if he's back he can replace the outside back bench player as he's fast enough to play wing, or can replace Gordon if injured.

Because Gibson doesn't understand the need for power in the forwards, and therefore recruits powder-puff workhorses only, we were screwed months ago. This team is the best we can do, given the available cattle

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If the Waratahs get up after last week’s shocking performance it won’t say much about the Australian Conference or the state of Australian rugby. Unless the Waratahs win 45-43 and the quality of the match is reminiscint of the sort of clinics the Kiwi teams put on in their derbies I will be reasonably happy if the Rebels win, and I say that as a Tahs supporter.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Pardon me for saying, but you seem to think the Tahs are a mighty team - hang on - they defeated the Stormers by winning an unspectacular line out throw that went wrong , otherwise that would not have been a win , they drew against the Sharks and they lost against Jags. What bounce back are you referring to Braveheart? They have been dismal this season. They have a pack of Aussie opponents to play now before finally being demolished by the New Zealanders. the first of their Aussie opponents is leading the Super Rugby tables and does not look like stumbling any time soon. Rebels in a clear win for me.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs will come back with a vengeance .

The big stars will shine - Folau, Beale Foley and Hooper.

Tahs will lose a bit in the forwards but expect backline to dominate

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The bench starts to look better as some of the wounded return.

But who stops the Rebels units at the advantage line, l don't know. Let alone who is going to get us over the advantage line

There is also a cryptic article in the Tags thread on Dempsey, do we know when he is expected back?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The bench starts to look better as some of the wounded return.

But who stops the Rebels units at the advantage line, l don't know. Let alone who is going to get us over the advantage line

There is also a cryptic article in the Tags thread on Dempsey, do we know when he is expected back?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Video clip on Waratahs FB page says he'll be ready mid to late April
https://www.facebook.com/nswwaratahs/videos/10155621745932144/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Weary Dunlop will be returning to Melbourne.

Like the fixture, we get a 9 day turn around while the Tahs get 7 with a long haul flight for good measure. Think that will take it's toll and the Rebels will run away in the second half.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Coleman will return and Haylett-Petty will go back to the bench. Expecting him, Hardwick and Colby to hit the ground with a vengeance later in the second half and up the pace of the game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I fear this match will highlight the folly of not beefing up the pig pen (if I'm allowed to mix up animal metaphors :rolleyes:) earlier this year, especially the tight five. Whomever the scrum expert is this year (Cron?) he's got his work cut out.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
On a potential happier note, this is the only Sunday arvo match in Sydney this year, we should get together over a pre-match beer, or two. Anyone up for lunch at The Local Taphouse?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs will surprise. Rebels great run to end.

Tahs forwards have been flogged in the media and on here.
Expect them to man up and put in a much more physical effort.

Tahs by 20

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Tahs will surprise. Rebels great run to end.

Tahs forwards have been flogged in the media and on here.
Expect them to man up and put in a much more physical effort.

Tahs by 20

I thought the same would happen in the Rebels v Brumbies fixture.

Packs are well-matched but the Rebels' young guns will have points to prove against the Wallabies incumbents. Expecting barnstorming performances from Hardwick, Phillip and Timafi.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I've picked against the rebels every round so far. Thought the reds would do them, red card skewed the match. Thought the sunwolves played well to restrict the brumbies, turns out the brumbies had restricted themselves. Figured the brumbies would bounce back after a "surprise" loss, nope. So I'm going to pick the rebels to win this one, because if one thing is certain in rugby it's that the rebels always fuck with my tipping.

Reactions: Tex

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I kind of hope the Rebels do us in here. I just want to see one Australian team competitive in the finals and i don't think the Tahs are currently capable of that.

The Rebels have the team to do it and i think another win for them on the trot will give them some excellent momentum going into some harder games.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tahs have opened as mild favourites with the bookies.

Do with that information what you will.

I think that just reflects where the bookies think the money will come from. That's how odds are framed so money can be made. If there is a sudden rush of money for the Rebels, their odds will quickly shorten. The opening price is just a bookies guess, later on the bookies odds are more like a public opinion poll.

I reckon the odds on a Lions loss last round would have been pretty long because the general public thought the Lions would triumph by some margin or other. As did most of us in the tipping contests.

Status
Not open for further replies.