• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 5, Waratahs vs Rebels - Sunday 18 March @ 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

The Rebels backs so far have so far been more about individual great efforts than team created opportunities

Have to disagree fp. The Rebels have been exceptionally good at advancing in waves, forward movement, quick hands, good runners, numbers at the breakdown. The Rebels in attack are a constant movement machine, and the end result is usually a Genia pass to get the right player in the right position over the line.

I don't think too many Rebels tries this year have been because of luck or one person pulling a speccy.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Stuck this in the wrong thread

So ..... I would pick

Robinson

Latu

Kepu

Simmons

Palmer

Meafua

Hooper

Wells

Gordon

Foley

Rona

Beale

Foketi

Newsome

Folau

Fitzpatrick

Johnson-Holmes

Vui

Staniforth

McCauley

Miller

Duffy

Naiyaravoro

Good side. Some strength and hopefully go forward.

Sadly don't see Gibson picking it.

With his idea of forwards I am waiting to see Duffy get a run at prop

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Melbourne are a good side. They have more experienced depth then the Tahs and most teams as they were allowed to buy so many. Mind you if the Tahs actually looked at what they needed and bought them we would probably be 3 from 3.

I fear the rebels will do a number o the Tahs. I hope I am wrong.

A thrashing might see Tahs management wake up. Problem is Hore said Gibson has the whole year

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Anyone up for lunch at The Local Taphouse?

Replies are deafening. Intel has reported the Mexicans can't/won't find their way over, under or around the wall so it'd seem there'll be no southern visitors for the first time for some years. Unless Rebel Army or daz sneak up here.

Anyways, other attendees notwithstanding I'LL be having a few beers pre-match at the Taphouse.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Bench will see the Rebels control the narrative of this game with 20 to go.

Kepu will be a huge in for the Tahs, instantly makes them capable of at least maintaining their own ball and Simmons at lock will mean their line out will function to a moderate level. Not sure if it will be enough tho, there is just no penetration in that pack to get the Rebels back pedaling. Hanigan, although often maligned is still one of the Tahs better forwards and will be a loss if ruled out.

Rebels by 3 but control the game

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Replies are deafening. Intel has reported the Mexicans can't/won't find their way over, under or around the wall so it'd seem there'll be no southern visitors for the first time for some years. Unless Rebel Army or daz sneak up here.

Anyways, other attendees notwithstanding I'LL be having a few beers pre-match at the Taphouse.

Lindo
so you guys call them (Victorians) Mexicans:)

I always thought Mexicans were all those south of Coolangatta:)

I always liked NSW, if only for the reason it keeps US (QLD) separated from the Vics:)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Melbourne are a good side. They have more experienced depth then the Tahs and most teams as they were allowed to buy so many. Mind you if the Tahs actually looked at what they needed and bought them we would probably be 3 from 3.

I fear the rebels will do a number o the Tahs. I hope I am wrong.

A thrashing might see Tahs management wake up. Problem is Hore said Gibson has the whole year

Its a bit like this game is a microcosm of the rest of the season. Can we find a way of winning without being able to dent the gainline or maybe find some way not yet tried to dent the gainline? As we did last year we can score 20+ points a game. Its all a question of whether we can score more points than we let the other team score.

Hore doesn't want to have to pay out a contract! He has been totally focused on controlling costs the whole year and as a CEO is about to learn that CEO's who are totally bottom line focused end up wrecking the place. The next three weeks will be critical - lose to the Rebels, Brumbies and the bye and the position becomes untenable. Yet that scenario is looking seriously likely. If they do lose the next three then the season is gone and Hore will HAVE to think about building for the future.

Cron is next year's head coach in waiting. The axe probably needs to fall after the Brumbies game but that won't change anything for this year, because this year's play is all about poor recruitment as a result of poor knowledge of what makes a pack effective. Cron needs to be head coach this year so he can make a few mistakes and learn what its all about. But he must be able to focus entirely on 2019, which means giving Swinton and McCauley time on the park to see what they might bring if they can spend the off-season developing their power game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think sacking Gibson now is the right time to do it. Once they made the decision to give him another season he should see it out.

I think at the end of the year he should be shuffled along though.

Gibson shouldn't be the only one to cop some blame for the shocking recruitment going on.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think sacking Gibson now is the right time to do it. Once they made the decision to give him another season he should see it out.

I think at the end of the year he should be shuffled along though.

Gibson shouldn't be the only one to cop some blame for the shocking recruitment going on.

He's the head coach so he's responsible. If Hore was over-ruling him he needed to resign, just to maintain his coaching credentials and reputation.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It just doesn't seem likely that in a professional organization he was the only person with input in recruiting decisions.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It is a bit early to be slitting wrists at the moment and being heavily concerned about who can be signed for the 2019 season

The squad is young, with a lot of talent, let us wait until May/June before getting out the tiki torches

Agreed.

Admittedly they have massive short comings in the Scrum etc. but its basically round 4. In that time that have already completed their overseas trip, where they managed to get a draw without 2 of their best forwards. Aussie teams the past few years would of signed on the dotted line if that was offered to them.

Even if they lose this week, it isn't quite panic stations yet for the Tahs.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
It is a bit early to be slitting wrists at the moment and being heavily concerned about who can be signed for the 2019 season

The squad is young, with a lot of talent, let us wait until May/June before getting out the tiki torches
And on the subject of squad strength, we've had the likes of Kepu, Simmons, Dempsey and Phipps unavailable which wouldn't have been anticipated so early in the season. The last game was diabolical, but a bonus point win at home and draw away before that was a pass mark. Let's see what happens in the next few games before we implode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And on the subject of squad strength, we've had the likes of Kepu, Simmons, Dempsey and Phipps unavailable which wouldn't have been anticipated so early in the season. The last game was diabolical, but a bonus point win at home and draw away before that was a pass mark. Let's see what happens in the next few games before we implode

It wasn't a bonus point win at home. You have to win by 3 tries to get a winning bonus point.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am anticipating a decisive win to the Rebels. They are in form, and really have the nucleus of the forthcoming Wallabies sides for the June tests. They need to win large, not just for themselves but for Aus rugby as a whole. If they fail this test, the remainder of the year will resemble the shambles that 2017 turned out to be.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lindo, so you guys call them (Victorians) Mexicans:) I always thought Mexicans were all those south of Coolangatta

A common mistake. In the bigger picture Queensland's more like Canada: an insignificant, anachronistic dominion stuck up against a larger neighbour to its immediate south. :D

D

daz

Apologies Lindo, I’m not able to get up to Darling Harbour for this game. Please drink my share for me. :)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Are we likely to see Swinton getting a run anytime soon? From what I’ve seen at schoolboy/grade level he plays with some aggression and may be able to bring a bit of hardness to the pack that is missing with workhorse type players like Staniforth.

Status
Not open for further replies.