• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 5, Waratahs vs Rebels - Sunday 18 March @ 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
At some point the ref needs to make a call himself and not wait for the touchies to shout or refer it to the TMO.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Lucky try to the Tahs, second time this half they have grubber kicked straight into an opposition player!

Stop the the Harlem Globetrotter BS and build phases and pressure!

T

TOCC

Fuck this sucks. Id rather concede the try than spend 5 minutes disecting every fucking play.

Idiots.

At some point the ref needs to make a call himself and not wait for the touchies to shout or refer it to the TMO.

Rugby Australia/Super Rugby need to analyse how much time is spent watching the TMO replays in 2018, it's bloody ridiculous, so too is the local broadcasters control over the onscreen replays as to highlight possible indiscretions of the visiting team to the referee.

But, back to the TMO, as a code we have derided the amount of time that scrums seem to consume in the game, that seems to have been more or less rectified these days, but we now have the TMO which I suspect consumes even more broadcast time.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah it completely smashes any momentum and interest the game is generating.

This is not the world cup. Let a few things go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Yeah bin the TMO, or at the very least restrict its use to only a few things like foot in touch or knock-on in the process of scoring a try.

For foul play, I think we need to go to a 'on report' system, if it suspect place the player on report and thats referred to the judiciary system post match. Thats not to say YC's and RC's aren't to the used, they will but revert to the system we had a few years ago.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Big Robbie delivers the goods. Fitzpatrick has given a couple of good passes in the lead up to both Tahs' tries.

T

TOCC

Hard one for a ref. Make a call and get it wrong everyone says "why didn't you check?" Check it and everyone complains you are wasting time. Not really sure what the solution is.

I agree its a complicated ask, perhaps theres cause for a 2nd on-field referee like in the NRL, make one referee the senior referee and one the junior referee, in general play the senior referee primary focus is on the ruck/scrum/line-outs/maul, the junior referee is watching the onside line and both can rule on foul play.

More broadly the referees should be encouraged to communicate before penalising, they should be verbalising and telling the teams to stay online or identifying individual players who need to take a step back or pull out of the play, this would serve as a warning for players, and those who don't comply are obviously penalised.

With this you would then remove the TMO or at least mitigate the need to use it so extensively, hopefully a system of verbalising the referees intent would mean extra referee doesn't just lead to over-officiating.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
TMO should be for situations where is reasonable that the referee can't make an informed decision. Things that the ref literally couldn't see, or stuff like that. But it shouldn't be like seeing a lawyer, it should be a situation where the camera angle is used to give an angle that the ref should have used, and then they quickly make a call.

Also, massive 10 minutes for the Tahs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon there should be a rule that you can have extra subs over a certain temperatures l.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree its a complicated ask, perhaps theres cause for a 2nd on-field referee like in the NRL, make one referee the senior referee and one the junior referee, in general play the senior referee primary focus is on the ruck/scrum/line-outs/maul, the junior referee is watching the onside line and both can rule on foul play.

More broadly the referees should be encouraged to communicate before penalising, they should be verbalising and telling the teams to stay online or identifying individual players who need to take a step back or pull out of the play, this would serve as a warning for players and those who don't comply are obviously penalised.

With this you would then remove the TMO or at least mitigate the need to use it so extensively, hopefully a system of verbalising the referees intent would an extra referee doesn't just lead to over-officiating.

Certainly from what I have seen in the NRL the two referee setup you suggest seems to lead to much faster decisions by the TMO (who also seem to make decisions more decisively than in Rugby). It would be good if we tried out some of your suggestions at Super level. When was the last time Super rugby tried experimenting with an officiating or rule change that wasn't IRB endorsed? A lot of the recent changes to issues like policing the breakdown (like the tackler having to go through the gate as well) all seem to be introduced in the Northern Hemisphere first.

Status
Not open for further replies.