• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 9, 2018 - Waratahs vs Reds - Saturday 14 April @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
This is almost ‘must win’ territory for the Reds. With the utter lack of try scoring ability, whilst we may win a few matches we don’t look like scoring any BPs. With the top few teams in each conference largely all around 4 BPs we are going to need an extra win, possibly two, to even stay in touch with the top of the field by seasons end.

Plus it’s the Tahs. Tahs matches are always ‘must win’.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
looks so much more exciting. Fists thrown every second ruck. Flinging the ball about non-stop. The disgraceful lack of skills and the skinny legs.

Times have changed.

Wouldn't mind a lot of that first one on Saturday night.

Biggest punch-up at a Super Rugby/Test match I've ever seen was Reds v Rebels in 2013 @ Lang Park. (Although I'm sure everyone else here has seen bigger)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wonder how many SCG members will come that otherwise wouldn't, obviously most members have access to both the SFS and SCG but will be interesting to see if the SCG facilities draw any extras in.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Zero somehow reminds me of this

Everything was invented by the reds

Okay, steady on. The Reds last year came out in their old school Maroon Jersey for the game against the Waratahs... the Waratahs for their game against the Reds this year are in their Skyblue jersey. No one else sees the coincidence?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Okay, steady on. The Reds last year came out in their old school Maroon Jersey for the game against the Waratahs. the Waratahs for their game against the Reds this year are in their Skyblue jersey. No one else sees the coincidence?

Last year it was a surprise when the Reds did it (Stiles presented the players with the jerseys before the game).

This year it is being billed as a heritage match (and is being played at the SCG) and both teams are doing it. It's the oldest matchup in Australian rugby. Of course this is the matchup that both teams would look to bring in that heritage element.

Presumably if the Reds had wanted last year's game billed as a heritage match they would have done so in advance of the game so it wasn't just their team wearing throwback jerseys.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Okay, steady on. The Reds last year came out in their old school Maroon Jersey for the game against the Waratahs. the Waratahs for their game against the Reds this year are in their Skyblue jersey. No one else sees the coincidence?

Yep, the Reds copied the NRL who have had heritage "rounds" since 2008. The Tahs are copying the Rabbits v Tigers heritage games that are played at the SCG each year

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What is your point though? It's a game between the oldest rivalry in Australian rugby being played at the venue where they played their first match in 1882 (and also haven't played at for 35 years) and you have a problem that it is being played as a heritage round match.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Good match up between the two form wingers of the Australian Conference. Should be enjoyable watching Daugunu running around Taqele and Taqele runnning over Daugunu.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
What is your point though? It's a game between the oldest rivalry in Australian rugby being played at the venue where they played their first match in 1882 (and also haven't played at for 35 years) and you have a problem that it is being played as a heritage round match.

My point is just that the Reds did it last year. It was never anything more than that.

Good match up between the two form wingers of the Australian Conference. Should be enjoyable watching Daugunu running around Taqele and Taqele running over Daugunu.

I'm more interested in the packs, it appears the Waratahs have their scrum going alight and the Reds scrum looks in disarray, while this might be the a good opportunity for the Reds scrum to find some cohesion against what should be a weaker scrum, but if they can't find that ascendancy it might be disastrous for their confidence.

Plus Hanigan vs Tumi (and Korczyck/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Wright whoever is picked for the Reds) should be a brilliant battle for a Wallabies spot. Hanigan has improved a lot this year but the Reds very young loose forwards have been very good.

I don't remember but did we see any of Tui last week, anyone expecting him to start over Douglas or play from the bench again?

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Wonder how many SCG members will come that otherwise wouldn't, obviously most members have access to both the SFS and SCG but will be interesting to see if the SCG facilities draw any extras in.

Actually the majority of members are SCG only, so I think there should be a decent turnout of members. A rare chance for them to watch some rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.