• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Millar has told the boys he is 103 kg. Anyway didn't Andrew Blades play for Oz at 108 kg? Give Millar a few years and he will put the weight on.

I can confirm he has done 160 kg bench press which is a tremendous effort for his age. As a matter of interest the strongest bloke in the academy is another prop named Tetera Faulkner from Southern Districts. He is an absolute unit and is benching 190 kg and squatting 260 kg. He has beaten Matt Dunning's bench record of 185 kg but because he isn't in the top squad he doesn't get the record. Of course he gets the academy record.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Faulkner isn't a Colt any more - he's 22 - so maybe I shouldn't be talking about him here, but I reckon the SD LHP is one to watch. Regardless of what he can bench press he seems to be able to prop up a scrum. He's in the Tahs academy (amateurs) and if he goes OK in the A games and with SD in 2011 again he could find himself promoted or poached later on.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The thing about Millar is that he doesn't carry any "pud" on him. Saw him stripped down at an Aussie schools game last year and he is all muscle.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The thing about Millar is that he doesn't carry any "pud" on him. Saw him stripped down at an Aussie schools game last year and he is all muscle.

You can get away with being a smaller man on the LH side but not on the anchor TH side, especially if you want to be a pro player. As observer said: Blades wasn't that big; and neither were Crowley nor Tommy "Mighty Mouse" Smith, the Scot and Lions LHP. Millar is going to need more bulk if he's going to be a senior THP.

I always advocate that elite school props who may not get to be big men on the prop scale should switch to hooker when they leave school. If it doesn't work out in Colts they could look back on it as a gap year.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think that you're spot on with your comments LG. Benny Robinson is another example of a smaller man playing very sucessfully at LH prop. Most official programmes list him as being 183 cm tall but I really doubt that. Stood next to him at a club game last year where he attended as a spectator and I seriously doubt he is more than 180 cm tall. Carries good bulk though and has excellent mobility for his shape as he showed in the latter games of the Wallaby Spring tour. What he lacks in height he more than makes up for in his scrummaging ability.
As for Millar your right about him having to look to LH side and perhaps even hooker. Another thought, and as dumb as this might sound, is that he should also consider dropping back to maybe no 6 before he bulks up too much. He really does have an "adonis" physique at the moment not disimilar to Pococks and from what I saw in the Australian schools games last year he had a phenomal work rate for a TH prop and is very mobile. A bit more speed in his legs and he's be an interesting proposition there.

R

rugbyfan

No idea why peoples' gym numbers - especially bench press (wtf? lying pronated pressing something away from you with your arms applies to scrums how?) - constantly get brought up when talking about props. I know plenty of people who are monsters in the gym and horrible props, and plenty of monster props who have horrible numbers in the gym.

I think they get the impression from his bench press he must have overall solid upperbody strength, which does help with scrummaging as you can manipulate an opponent with upperbody strength, even though you need a solid bottom base for the main movement.

R

rugbyfan

Neck strength - getting under the opponent and taking their power away
Back and chest strength - being able to drive through the opponent

Even if props are hesitant to pull their oppositions bind down because they dont want to get penalised, it doesn't mean they won't do it, the ref can't see everything.

F

Finland Fella

I heard Keliti had left Wests Tigers and gone to Souths (league) ???

F

Finland Fella

Disregard that last post - apparently there are two Keliti Vaingalo's ... the one at the Rabbitohs is a Kiwi import, whilst the ex Newington Keliti Vaingalo was at Wests Tigers and maybe playing rugby at Easts this season.

W

Wrinkled Rat

From last year, as usual Auggies islanders to Manly the rest to the Rats plus reid, killingworth. Backs Donlan, Trim, Donegal, Jones, White, Askew, Arnold. Handy second grade outfit

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The two Kelitis are cousins, I think. How confusing is that?
Randwick colts trials
5th March v Central Coast
12th March v Gordon
19th March v Brumbies Academy
26th March v Eastwood

F

Finland Fella

Jack Rabbit Newington half, Mark Bannon has gone to Randwick.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
From last year, as usual Auggies islanders to Manly the rest to the Rats plus reid, killingworth. Backs Donlan, Trim, Donegal, Jones, White, Askew, Arnold. Handy second grade outfit

Great to see the Rats boys staying together. They should be very competitive, particularly with big Bruce as coach. I hope Boyd takes his time in colts for a year rather than jumping in the deep end in grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.