• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bruce won't be coaching these guys, most of those mentioned will be colts 1's players.
Don't think Baden has been sighted yet?

W

waves

You can get away with being a smaller man on the LH side but not on the anchor TH side, especially if you want to be a pro player. As observer said: Blades wasn't that big; and neither were Crowley nor Tommy "Mighty Mouse" Smith, the Scot and Lions LHP. Millar is going to need more bulk if he's going to be a senior THP.

I always advocate that elite school props who may not get to be big men on the prop scale should switch to hooker when they leave school. If it doesn't work out in Colts they could look back on it as a gap year.

I think Guy Millar will be making a change to LHP , Sam Talakai was picked to start in a 1st grade trial with Sydney University in Melbourne curtin raiser match before Brumbies v Rebels where Sydney University beat Victoria State 28-12

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that info. I would trust Uni, love 'em or hate 'em, to work out what is best for a school leaver who was an elite schools player. And what is best for the lad is usually best for the club also.

Playing LHP is a bit more technical and sneaky than on the other side, but since scrum technique is not as consequential in school days because of the laws they play under, Millar won't have too much to learn compared to a lad who was a LHP at school.

He is fairly mobile as well as being tough. I thought he was a chance to be looked at as a hooker.

U

Upright

I think Guy Millar will be making a change to LHP , Sam Talakai was picked to start in a 1st grade trial with Sydney University in Melbourne curtin raiser match before Brumbies v Rebels where Sydney University beat Victoria State 28-12

I agree Sam is a good prsopect having watched him in CAS in 08/09 and pleased he is progressing. What about young Lamont, is he still playing with Uni or has he gone to norths to be with his brother as he kept Sam in Uni Colts 2s last season? Does this selection mean that Uni may be going against their usual position and playing some Colts (Sam, David Hickey and Jack De Guingand) in grade - although Tom Kingston did play 3rd grade last year. Maybe Bruce can advise us if this is happening, and if so is it overcome the proposed points reduction, as Uni does have 6/7 Aust and Aust A lads from the last two seasons which would make it very hard to not exceed the points limit

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree Sam is a good prospect having watched him in CAS in 08/09 and pleased he is progressing. What about young Lamont, is he still playing with Uni or has he gone to norths to be with his brother as he kept Sam in Uni Colts 2s last season? Does this selection mean that Uni may be going against their usual position and playing some Colts (Sam, David Hickey and Jack De Guingand) in grade - although Tom Kingston did play 3rd grade last year. Maybe Bruce can advise us if this is happening, and if so is it overcome the proposed points reduction, as Uni does have 6/7 Aust and Aust A lads from the last two seasons which would make it very hard to not exceed the points limit

Sam is training extremely well and will make an impact this year. Tom Lamont is still with Uni but he is a loosehead whereas Sam plays on the grunt side. The player who was preferred to Sam for most of last season was Clay Brodie who has switched to Easts to play grade. His brother Rhys who played some Colts games for Uni while still at school last year has also gone there.

One of the collateral consequences of the points system is that some players are going up into grade earlier than they otherwise would. But there is also the fact that with over 30 Uni players spread around the Super franchises plus others on national Sevens contracts, the Club is finding it necessary to fast track player development.

The overriding objective of the points sytem - bringing Uni to its knees - is still proving elusive.

I have always personally had the view that every player coming from school should play at least a year of Colts but the Club has never had this as a set policy.

W

waves

Bruce since the passing of Joseph Welch (may he rest in peace) who is likely to fill the void in at LHP besides Lamont ?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce since the passing of Joseph Welch (may he rest in peace) who is likely to fill the void in at LHP besides Lamont ?

Waves, I think that as usual it will take time to resolve who will step up to fill the various positions in Colts. I do know that Head Coach Todd Louden and Director of Rugby had prioritised recruitment of front rowers well before the Joseph Welch tragedy, and that the young blokes who have come into the program have been involved in heavy training and will be well looked after by Club Scrum Coach Mark Bell.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One of the collateral consequences of the points system is that some players are going up into grade earlier than they otherwise would. But there is also the fact that with over 30 Uni players spread around the Super franchises plus others on national Sevens contracts, the Club is finding it necessary to fast track player development.

The overriding objective of the points sytem - bringing Uni to its knees - is still proving elusive.

I have always personally had the view that every player coming from school should play at least a year of Colts but the Club has never had this as a set policy.
Perspective is a funny thing Bruce.
I would have thought the overriding objective of the points system was to ensure Uni had someone besides Uni 2's to beat in the GF in 2015.
By your own numbers you have over 30 Super level players on your books. How do you see this is in any way sustainable? How can 11 other Clubs compete with this?
One by one SS sides will fall away without some protection. Competitions throughout the World have instigated measures to protect the competition from overly dominant sides/clubs/franchises.
The SS is acting to protect the competition, against sides becoming overly dominant, it just so happens that Uni is one club most affected, it was not aimed at Uni by Uni haters for the sake of it.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sam Talakai is an interesting footballer.

He is a good strong prop, but he also has terrific ball playing skills. At Waverley and CAS he was often played at pivot or inside centre and would invariably set up a try with a deft short pass or a grubber or Thurstonesque dummy. However, I have heard Uni want him to lose the ball playing side of his game. Pity.

What do you do with a Quade Cooper trapped in a props body?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Say what you want about Uni but the guy playing 8 for them against Victoria on Friday night (Jack Something-French) was certainly not built the way he is now when he was in school.

They must have a great conditioning set-up.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

He is a good strong prop, but he also has terrific ball playing skills. At Waverley and CAS he was often played at pivot or inside centre and would invariably set up a try with a deft short pass or a grubber or Thurstonesque dummy. However, I have heard Uni want him to lose the ball playing side of his game. Pity.

Where did you hear that, Torn? Maybe a generation or two back, but the idea of deliberately de-skilling a player is total anathema, particularly now that Todd Louden is back at Uni. He places huge emphasis on skill development.

Anyway, thanks for the tip-off. I watched Sam many times last year and believe he should have had more games in 1st Colts but I didn't realise he had a bag of underutilised tricks. I will pass on the information.

It is a long while since I coached but if I came across "a Quade Cooper trapped in a prop's body", I would first try to teach him to tackle. Failing that I would encourage him to play a very tight game. My advice to any tight forward who is unfit or can't tackle has always been to bury yourself in the tight stuff where no one can see you.

If there is one thing less desirable than a non-tackling 10 it would be an unathletic non-tackling 10.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Say what you want about Uni but the guy playing 8 for them against Victoria on Friday night (Jack Something-French) was certainly not built the way he is now when he was in school.

They must have a great conditioning set-up.

Jack De Guingand is a Victorian who came up to Sydney Uni last year.

I am unashamedly biassed but I firmly believe that the "conditioning set-up" at Sydney Uni is unmatched at any level in Australian rugby. It is one of the great attractors for the Club.

W

waves

100% Agree with this statement his skills are better then most backs at NSW Colts level and thats no lie , If given responsibility to rome around the field like he did at Waverley could cause extra headaches for opposition teams.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jack De Guingand is a Victorian who came up to Sydney Uni last year.

I am unashamedly biassed but I firmly believe that the "conditioning set-up" at Sydney Uni is unmatched at any level in Australian rugby. It is one of the great attractors for the Club.

I don't know about that Bruce, you have to remember when your taking 18yo boys and training them it will always have a much starker result then taking a player who has been living a semi-professional lifestyle and training him (which is what the Super sides deal with when they have new recruits).

However, JdG is certainly proof of a terrific program regardless of the yardstick.

P

Parra GM

Where did you hear that, Torn? Maybe a generation or two back, but the idea of deliberately de-skilling a player is total anathema,

Did anyone else have to google that?

It is a long while since I coached but if I came across "a Quade Cooper trapped in a prop's body", I would first try to teach him to tackle.

hahaha.........brilliant. Thats why he wont go to league. He cant make 6 tackles a game in rugby, how's he going to go having to make 30?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

It would be a good idea if it was enforceable but player depth is so shallow in both Colts and Grade in a lot of clubs that the cream, or apparent cream, gets grabbed.

Sam Talakai - I remember seeing him play for WC against Joeys in a trial game a few years back and I thought I was looking at a young Artie Beetson. A couple of Joeys lads would take a leg each and one would tackle the ball.

I must admit to forgetting about him but it's good to see him in the Uni set up because he looked then like he would have a problem with putting on weight. Sam certainly had great hands at school but his future will be defined by how he can scrummage. Can't wait to see him play again.

Godzilla also had deft hands at school and could have benefited from a Uni type programme. No quite to the point but I am glad that Willy Skelton is with Uni too.

It's good to see that Jack De Guingand is putting on a bit of pork because that was the one thing that I thought would hold him back. Sometimes Jack looked like Qld Schools' Liam Gill, who was playing in the same year, but he was too easy to knock over.

Bruce - I have been watching a great deal of Tom Kingston this year for the Junior Tahs and he got a bit of time for the Tahs in the trials. I think he is a sensational player and could go all the way - as much as you can say that at his age. Tell me he will be in 1st Grade this year.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sam Talakai - I remember seeing him play for WC against Joeys in a trial game a few years back and I thought I was looking at a young Artie Beetson. A couple of Joeys lads would take a leg each and one would tackle the ball.

I must admit to forgetting about him but it's good to see him in the Uni set up because he looked then like he would have a problem with putting on weight. Sam certainly had great hands at school but his future will be defined by how he can scrummage. Can't wait to see him play again.

Godzilla also had deft hands at school and could have benefited from a Uni type programme. No quite to the point but I am glad that Willy Skelton is with Uni too.

It's good to see that Jack De Guingand is putting on a bit of pork because that was the one thing that I thought would hold him back. Sometimes Jack looked like Qld Schools' Liam Gill, who was playing in the same year, but he was too easy to knock over.

Bruce - I have been watching a great deal of Tom Kingston this year for the Junior Tahs and he got a bit of time for the Tahs in the trials. I think he is a sensational player and could go all the way - as much as you can say that at his age. Tell me he will be in 1st Grade this year.

Sam has been really working on his strength and fitness this off-season, LG. Apparently he scrummaged very well for Uni against the Victorian state side last weekend. Our hooker Benny Roberts who is a hard marker has big wraps on him.

I thought he should have been playing 1st Colts through last season but I think it was a case of the squeaking wheel getting the most grease.

I had no idea he had great handling skills until people starting to talk about him in this thread. I passed on some details to the Uni coaches.

With regard to Will Skelton, he seems to be a joint project between Uni and the Waratahs. They are trying to dissuade him from doing much training at all with Uni. I suppose they think the fact they are paying him such big dollars, $2000 minus $1200 for health insurance, gives them the right to dictate what he does. I hope he invests the $800 wisely, e.g., on real estate rather than frittering it away. Unfortunately some kids are bedazzled by the sight of really big money.

I think Jack De Guingand is ready to step up and play some serious grade. He is a good prospect. And I don't think there is any doubt that Todd Louden will have Tom Kingston under consideration for the top grade, that is, if he doesn't get to bench for the 'Tahs.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bruce

Are Uni colts having any trials this weekend? If they are who are they playing, where and when?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce

Are Uni colts having any trials this weekend? If they are who are they playing, where and when?

There you go, ilmf:

Club trials commence this weekend
On Saturday all players will be given an opportunity to engage in a game situation with a host of trials planned. The trials will be held at the National Indigenous Centre of Excellence, Redfern due to St John's Oval being unavailable. The National Indigenous Centre of Excellence is located at 180 George Street, Redfern. Due to limited parking we recommend catching public transport, Redfern station is within easy walking distance.
The schedule for the day is as follows:
11.00am – SUFC Colts v Hunter Rep Team
12.10pm – SUFC Colts v Hunter Rep team
1.20pm – SUFC Combined Grade / Colts v Nelson Bay Senior Team
2.45pm – SUFC 4th Grade v Colleagues 3rd Grade
3.55pm – SUFC 3rd Grade v Colleagues 2nd Grade
5.05pm – SUFC 2nd Grade v Colleagues 1st Grade

A BBQ will be available throughout the day.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
3.55pm – SUFC 3rd Grade v Colleagues 2nd Grade
5.05pm – SUFC 2nd Grade v Colleagues 1st Grade
Could be good games in the first half (or until superior conditioning comes into play). Will try to get down for back half 3rds/front half 2nds.

Status
Not open for further replies.