• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Winner

Bob McCowan (2)
Well done to the Uni and Souths players for an outstanding game of fast paced, physical, running rugby yday afternoon. The game sure lived up to the hype . Special mention to Souths for playing a credible game without your coach (who flew overseas during the week on a personal matter). Look forward to the next encounter from these two sides.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Must be hurting or embarrassed over in Beastyland. Colts scores still not up anywhere
Ryan09, there's an old saying from US Football you may consider.
"Losers should say nothing, and winners even less".
Congratulations on your Colt's winning all 3 grades regardless.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think it was due to ground availability.

Both Marlins v Wicks, and Norths v Emus were rescheduled to Wakehurst Rugby Park after the rains.

Might have also been a subbies match or two to try and fit in at Wakehurst as well.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)

Both Marlins v Wicks, and Norths v Emus were rescheduled to Wakehurst Rugby Park after the rains.

Might have also been a subbies match or two to try and fit in at Wakehurst as well.

From a Souths point of view who play Manly on saturday i hope they belt it each other. Not really fair on all teams who have to play on the wednesday night and back up on the saturday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the U19s Sydney Colts Squad, I know 2 Gordon boys are in it.
Have you heard anymore about this Colts U19 squad?

I noticed this in the 2014 Junior State Champs Programme:

Under 18's Representative Pathway
As there is no State Championship for this age group, the regionals will be an open trial to all age eligible players from SJRU and Colts (that have previously played Juniors). The squad will then be split into two separate teams "Possibles" and "Probables" which will contest trial matches at Regionals.

So SJRU are making a play at raising an Under 18 team that they haven't had for at least the last 5 years (or much longer) by amalgamating Juniors and Colts players, and Colts are having a lash at an Under 19 team.

Is more rep teams better? Have these two teams been endorsed by the ARU Pathway folk, or is it just some empire building/retention from some ambitious committee members?

I'd imagine that many U18 lads may be having a lash at Colts Under 19 (if they are in fact in the Colts programme already, instead of the SJRU Under 18.

Have these rep teams been advertised anywhere, or will there be a invitations issued to just a select few?

I would have thought that the recent Under 20 Jnr RWC selection and preparation process must have buried the invitation only selection process forever.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
T & F,

Believe the issue was that the NSWJRU U11 (?) State Championships were being held at Keirle Park - where the Colts would otherwise have been shifted due to the rain down that way on Friday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

As there is no State Championship for this age group, the regionals will be an open trial to all age eligible players from SJRU and Colts (that have previously played Juniors). The squad will then be split into two separate teams "Possibles" and "Probables" which will contest trial matches at Regionals.

So SJRU are making a play at raising an Under 18 team that they haven't had for at least the last 5 years (or much longer) by amalgamating Juniors and Colts players, and Colts are having a lash at an Under 19 team.

Is more rep teams better? Have these two teams been endorsed by the ARU Pathway folk, or is it just some empire building/retention from some ambitious committee members?

I'd imagine that many U18 lads may be having a lash at Colts Under 19 (if they are in fact in the Colts programme already, instead of the SJRU Under 18.

Have these rep teams been advertised anywhere, or will there be a invitations issued to just a select few?

I would have thought that the recent Under 20 Jnr RWC selection and preparation process must have buried the invitation only selection process forever.
The SJRU is irrelevant.
I doubt there is a talented U18 kid that is not either at School or does not play colts.
The SJRU imply they are catching players who slipped the net,but they are only catching those that have been overlooked.

Isn't this 19's process more of a development squad?
I heard clubs were requested to nominate only players that have not participated in 20's squads.

The colts 19's squad appears to be a way of broadening the selection process for next year, which has merit IMO.
Who knows what the SJRU 18's squad is designed to achieve.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)

I'll find out some more details but I'm fairly sure.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
The SJRU is irrelevant.
I doubt there is a talented U18 kid that is not either at School or does not play colts.
The SJRU imply they are catching players who slipped the net,but they are only catching those that have been overlooked.

Isn't this 19's process more of a development squad?
I heard clubs were requested to nominate only players that have not participated in 20's squads.

The colts 19's squad appears to be a way of broadening the selection process for next year, which has merit IMO.
Who knows what the SJRU 18's squad is designed to achieve.
My understandi

my understanding of the 19s is that each club nominated players from there group who fitted the age and ability criteria and this was too push these players for next years NSW 20s initial training squad.
There is a big number of players nominated for the 19s as you would expect and the final team will come from players still fit to play and those with no school rep games coming up. They are playing country 20s next sunday i believe but i dont know where. Hopefuly this will unearth a few players who just didnt go to the right school.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who actually "owns" the NSW U20 team?

Tahs, NSW RU, or SRU?

As long as this Sydney Colts U19 vs NSW Country U20 is seen as part of the 2015 NSW U20 selection and development process, and it is administered by the same mob that "owns" the NSW U20 team then this is a good move.

Will the likes of H Jones, C Tulloch, and others from the Class of 2013 that are playing Grade not Colts be eligible for this Under 19 selection?

Are there any smokies in the NSW Country U20s that we should be looking out for?

At least one of the Class of 2013 from NSW Schoolboys has returned to Forbes to play NSW Counrty footy. There may be others.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
My points for the day at the uni vs souths goes to the uni doctor every time south got a roll on the instructions come over his mic to get out there and slow the game down that's not rugby

On another not i believe that was all uni had today and i believe souths still have a lot to grow towards the end of the round and with more injured players due back i think they the black sheep
Black sheep or dark horse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
I think your entry is looking good for the "Short. and to the Point" post of the year. :)

Almost impossible to get shorter or pointier without posting a null post.
Yes I posted but mucked the quote up so tried to delete but it wouldn't let me so a full stop was the next best thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I think your entry is looking good for the "Short. and to the Point" post of the year. :)

Almost impossible to get shorter or pointier without posting a null post.

But really HJ - this just about sums it up IMHO! I have absolutely nothing to add! :) Wreckless

Status
Not open for further replies.