• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Junior Rugby Union - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably best to contact your local club, or the SJRU competitions administrator at Moore Park regarding the viability of the U17's.

I think it is still Talia Newhouse.

Check out the SJRU Website for all the contact details. They are usually helpful. Try www.Juniors.rugbynet.com.au or a google search.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I think that would be a top solution.
It need not even interfere with the traditional system games.
But to make it work the weaker schools would need to be prepared to band together to be stronger or permit their kids to play for village clubs that suited their ability. This is more readily said than done: Grammar, who are weak, still insist that school rugby take precedence over external rugby, for instance, suggesting that there is no intention of letting kids pursue rugby at the highest level possible even if the school isn't competitive.
I see this as a long term process - yes there would be resistance to begin with but eventually it could grow to have its own momentum.
Recall, however, how some of the "elite" private schools did not like getting a licking in the Waratah Shield and that for 20 or more years Combined GPS did not play CHS because of some biffo, so I am told: it was before even my time.
I reckon that the ARU needs to cut the Gordian Knot of reliance on the private schools - how you do that without long term pain is the $64,000 question.

I am not sure if there is any knot or umbicial cord to cut. I am not aware of the ARU providing any funds or financial support directly to private schools. No money equals no say or influence. Due to optics of providing money to private schools the ARU are not going to do this.

Why would they do anything private schools producing elite rugby players and it's costing them next to nothing.

Maybe one way to improve junior rugby is as suggested associate village clubs with local public schools and non rugby playing private schools. Also restrict the gold squads etc to those involved in village rugby and Private schools that run rugby comps under the direction of the ARU.

This would unify the schoolboy competition. If a private school elected to go it alone from the ARU their players could not participate in Gold Squads (unless they also played with a village club).

This would focus a few minds very quickly.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
These privite schools (senior) producing the elite rugby players,
I hope they thank the huge prep public system were they play before hand, unfortunately numbers thin out when going gratuating to senior school due to $$$$
Very shallow comment, there is so much talent out there - but we lose it due to that thought stratergy and neglect.

To be able to implement change and improvement, you first have to understand what has caused the current situation, hence my comments. So I hardly think it is a shallow comment nor do I believe the status quo should remain.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
These privite schools (senior) producing the elite rugby players,
I hope they thank the huge prep public system were they play before hand, unfortunately numbers thin out when going gratuating to senior school due to $$$$
Very shallow comment, there is so much talent out there - but we lose it due to that thought stratergy and neglect.

"privite schools" + "the huge prep system system were they play before hand" - putting aside the grammar issues wtf are you smoking?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
"privite schools" + "the huge prep system system were they play before hand" - putting aside the grammar issues wtf are you smoking?
CTPE and Kenny, not debating that Private Schools to not contribute in a big way to rugby. In most cases it is their only code.
Why would they do anything private schools producing elite rugby players and it's costing them next to nothing
I didn't like this comment because they should be doing something, so jumped straight in and didn't continue to read. WTF was I smoking, as Kenny went on with one of my suggestions include village clubs in the private school comp.
Guys sorry, mis interprated.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
CTPE and Kenny, not debating that Private Schools to not contribute in a big way to rugby. In most cases it is their only code.

I didn't like this comment because they should be doing something, so jumped straight in and didn't continue to read. WTF was I smoking, as Kenny went on with one of my suggestions include village clubs in the private school comp.
Guys sorry, mis interprated.

i thought you 2 were in agreement - at least I got that right!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Buddha reveals that SJRU Sunday Competition will have the following Open Grade teams:

Opens A
Sylvania, Hillview, Dural, Hawkesbury, Manly and Wests

Opens B
North Shore, Dundas, Wakehurst, Forest, Killara West Pymble, Narrabeen, North Rocks, Blue Mountains, Lindfield, Newport, Hawkesbury, Dee Why.

No Under 17's competition on Sunday.
The Proposed competition for Saturday doesn't seem to be up yet.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SJRU website is "slightly" out of date, and hardly inspires confidence that the organisation is in charge and looking forward to Season 2013.

"News Flash" links are to 2011 events.

There is a reference to NSW State Championship 2013 rules under the NSW JRU links window. http://juniors.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=199225
Seems that there are no rules for 2013. No wait you can find the rules via the NSW JRU Resources page, not that they tell you or provide a link. You have to go looking.

And on the subject of NSW JRU, what is so secret about their annual reports. The most recent one of these one on their web site is the 2008 version.

Can't they spare an intern from Waratahs HQ or NSWRU/SRU to help these two largely volunteer organisations out?

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
SJRU website is "slightly" out of date, and hardly inspires confidence that the organisation is in charge and looking forward to Season 2013.

"News Flash" links are to 2011 events.

There is a reference to NSW State Championship 2013 rules under the NSW JRU links window. http://juniors.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=199225
Seems that there are no rules for 2013. No wait you can find the rules via the NSW JRU Resources page, not that they tell you or provide a link. You have to go looking.

And on the subject of NSW JRU, what is so secret about their annual reports. The most recent one of these one on their web site is the 2008 version.

Can't they spare an intern from Waratahs HQ or NSWRU/SRU to help these two largely volunteer organisations out?

Hugh, SJRU have a new website: Juniors.rugby.com.au.
I haven't studied it yet, but you should find 2013 stuff here! Although having said that, there have been years where the comp rules weren't up until after the 2nd round of games!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^Thanks for the link.

Good thing that I didn't fully unload about the Old website, or I'd be consuming a bit of humble pie by now.:)

It would be useful to have a note and link on the front page of the Old Website redirecting punters to the latest version of the web site. Google still offers the old website in response to a search.

I must say, the new model does look rather smart and professional.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^^^Thanks for the link.

Good thing that I didn't fully unload about the Old website, or I'd be consuming a bit of humble pie by now.:)

It would be useful to have a note and link on the front page of the Old Website redirecting punters to the latest version of the web site. Google still offers the old website in response to a search.

I must say, the new model does look rather smart and professional.

BUT no 2013 Competition rules!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Presidents report from 2012 Annual Report makes a big deal about compliance with the Competition Rules.

I am surprised that they haven't published the competition rules for this year by now.

Even NSW JRU have published their State Championship rules for 2013.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Presidents report from 2012 Annual Report makes a big deal about compliance with the Competition Rules.

I am surprised that they haven't published the competition rules for this year by now.

Even NSW JRU have published their State Championship rules for 2013.
If people knew them they might comply.
Then there'd be nothing to make a big deal about in the annual report.
That's planning!
HJ I thought website was clunky: it looks ok, except the menu isnt properly spaced, but even I can make a good website with no qualifications.
The rules should be on permanent display from a link: if they change they're easily updated, though preferably they should be reasonably static so people know where they stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Must be a blanket form that signed him off last year, in the 16 s playing an opens team- maybe the blanket sign off has not expired yet........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ummm ..... Opens Schoolboys is Under 18's. They still play IRB Under 19 rules.

Colts are age limited. IIRC Colts 3 are Under 19 Age graded and play Under 19 Varioation rules, and Colts 1 and 2 are Age graded to Under 20 (Shute Shield) and Under 21 in NSW Subbies. The later play Full international IRB Rugby Laws, ie crutch binding, scrums moving more than 1.5 metres etc.

The blanket "signoff" that may have "existed" last year for 15 year olds to play in Under 18 schoolboy division at a specific competition would probably not apply under different affiliation jurisdictions.

I am sure that the Pirates Colts management know what they are doing, and everything will probably be above board, it just seems a little unusual to have a 16 year old boy playing against 20 year old men.

Status
Not open for further replies.