• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think the Rays best team will compete against the 4 teams that are aligned to the super teams, The Rays have a number of players that are knocking on Super rugby's door and combinations should hold us in good stead - hence my above back line.

but, were i think the difference will be telling is;
  • depth; - one injury will be telling, those 4 teams will have another ready to step up.
  • the last 20 - 30 minutes, some of our best players will be running around this week end. those 4 teams are already professional and have been training all year. Plus playing Super rugby whilst it was on.
That being said, us 4 teams need to jump into bead together and put the best team on the park, be a team that wants to win.
Trying to put quota's out for each team causes infighting, questions from within, and disharmony.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The biggest issue for the Rays last year was scrum and it looks like they are still trying to find props to fix that problem. Not sure they are going to find what they are looking for in the next 2 weeks.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The biggest issue for the Rays last year was scrum and it looks like they are still trying to find props to fix that problem. Not sure they are going to find what they are looking for in the next 2 weeks.

Seems like they have been looking for a while as well. Overseas may be the only option.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Be great if the backs can replicate that effort in the big one. It is important the Marlins get the victory, can't have a Rams team take it out.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Yeah i agreed with that last year as well, but i look at the Marlins tight 5 on Saturday, playing against the Uni tight 5 that did have some Super 15 players involved - I thought the scrum more than held it's own. It also should be noted that those Super 15 players did sort of alright this year as well.

Hope the Rays pull there finger out and get Jerome Vaai's signature.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm just going off the mugshots:

qUJmctB.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ & wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Stars

Some tough calls made with quality wings in Tyson Davis, Sione Ala, Richard Woolf and Michael Adams signed up. Jones has had defensive frailties ion the past, and has had a fair chunk of this season in Team Rehab, but he is a great asset to have in any team - lightning pace and a thunderous kick from the hand and off the tee with both feet.

Rays loss is Stars gain.

Interesting to see Cameron Treloar named for the Rays in 2015. Wonder why the Eagles didn't re-sign him for this season?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
^^^ & wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Stars

Some tough calls made with quality wings in Tyson Davis, Sione Ala, Richard Woolf and Michael Adams signed up.

Rays loss is Stars gain.

Interesting to see Cameron Treloar named for the Rays in 2015. Wonder why the Eagles didn't re-sign him for this season?

HJ and Alex Zip Northam, Hooper.

I have had another team on my radar of late. So I don't look one eyed, I have to ask how and why did this happen?
  • This will no doubt ruffle some feathers but i have to think it is because of a coach, and also that coaches selections and some sort of quota from each team. This is professional rugby we have to have best team on park.
  • I hate singling out players in a team sport but to support the above Sione Ala may have struggled to reach second grade for Manly this year - I'd pick Yarrington and Sireli ahead of him any day of the week (Manly 2nd grade got minor Premiership).
Further to this why has a Die Hard Manly player, best 15 in the Shute Shield gone to the Rams - BJ Hartman. I've heard reasons and they are in line with what the above suggests - which really disappoints.
I'll provide one dot to this puzzle that may have been doted on paper about 4 - 6 weeks ago - I reckon Feltscheer maybe on the wing. However form of another player may have thrown a huge spanner in the works.

People have referenced a weakness in our tight five, of recent weeks the Marlins have packed down against a
Super front Row in Sydney uni.
Eastwood Front row which had Super / EPS players.
And the set pieces were even.
Tongue in cheek - The Rays have so many quality props that they can 3 Marlins props play for the Country boys.
  • Tank Collins - True Country Boy and I hope he gets plenty of game time.
  • Dane Maraki - Only played for Manly in Australia, was in the Tahs pre season training prior to knee injury.
  • Jerome Vaai - How the fuck could the Rays have let this dynomight go, he's played ITM in NZ, has been one of Manly's best over recent weeks.
I want to watch and follow a rugby team, not politics. If our forward pack struggles because of player and depth in props, just remember this post.

Yeah - this is a rant.

THis weeks selection will no doubt rest a few Marlins, and rightly so.

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have to agree with you Dave on your rant as you have put it.

The coach for the Rays needs not to be aligned wiith any of the four clubs.
They need to have a team section panel also not aligned to the clubs.
The Rays only have 2 quality props in my books , Lewis & O'Conner so yes they will struggle.
MMM's fullback , BJ going to the RAMS , ,well that will do me.

Time for a new coach and its not to late to replace him NOW.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I have to agree with you Dave on your rant as you have put it.

The coach for the Rays needs not to be aligned wiith any of the four clubs.
They need to have a team section panel also not aligned to the clubs.
The Rays only have 2 quality props in my books , Lewis & O'Conner so yes they will struggle.
MMM's fullback , BJ going to the RAMS , ,well that will do me.

Time for a new coach and its not to late to replace him NOW.

Johnno - yeah it worked me up a little.

I thinking / hearing - Townsend promised a player a position, and it's had a domino effect, one of those Domino's being Feltscheer possibly being moved to the wing as the dominos fall and this has possibly had an effect on Grass Roots local Harry Jones move.

You are right in Lewis & OÇonnor - they both wear 1 though, which infuriates me as to why Im hearing Jerome at the Eagles - I hope I'm proven wrong.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sadly for the Rays, Vaai seems confirmed for the Eagles now (handy pickup for them, though)

4xcNLs7.jpg

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
HJ and Alex Zip Northam, Hooper.

I have had another team on my radar of late. So I don't look one eyed, I have to ask how and why did this happen?
  • This will no doubt ruffle some feathers but i have to think it is because of a coach, and also that coaches selections and some sort of quota from each team. This is professional rugby we have to have best team on park.
  • I hate singling out players in a team sport but to support the above Sione Ala may have struggled to reach second grade for Manly this year - I'd pick Yarrington and Sireli ahead of him any day of the week (Manly 2nd grade got minor Premiership).
Further to this why has a Die Hard Manly player, best 15 in the Shute Shield gone to the Rams - BJ Hartman. I've heard reasons and they are in line with what the above suggests - which really disappoints.

I'll provide one dot to this puzzle that may have been doted on paper about 4 - 6 weeks ago - I reckon Feltscheer maybe on the wing. However form of another player may have thrown a huge spanner in the works.

People have referenced a weakness in our tight five, of recent weeks the Marlins have packed down against a
Super front Row in Sydney uni.
Eastwood Front row which had Super / EPS players.
And the set pieces were even.
Tongue in cheek - The Rays have so many quality props that they can 3 Marlins props play for the Country boys.
  • Tank Collins - True Country Boy and I hope he gets plenty of game time.
  • Dane Maraki - Only played for Manly in Australia, was in the Tahs pre season training prior to knee injury.
  • Jerome Vaai - How the fuck could the Rays have let this dynomight go, he's played ITM in NZ, has been one of Manly's best over recent weeks.
I want to watch and follow a rugby team, not politics. If our forward pack struggles because of player and depth in props, just remember this post.

Yeah - this is a rant.

THis weeks selection will no doubt rest a few Marlins, and rightly so.

Re your points :

The reality is the squad should comprise of 1st grade players from the four clubs if Sireli & Yarrington want to play in the NRC they need to be playing 1st grade. Sione as I have explained before had some good games (I can't see him being a starter in the NRC for what it's worth) but I think he is being valued as a player that can play Wing/Fullback.

BJ was pretty average in the final I thought. Let's just see if he is up to it with the Rams before making judgement as I have said before he should have been in the squad at least in my opinion.

Some thought needs to be given to the fact the Rays players apparently are on game bonuses (win/loss etc) this year and not contracts due to the loss of a sponsor. They actually have to play so zero money is guaranteed. Apparently other NSW franchises don't have to do this.

I actually think Maraki struggled in games I saw and Vaai came on later in the season good luck to them both though.

Jones missed the whole back end of the season through injury not sure how much game time he will see at the Stars either.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
battle for the wooden spoon this week at manly oval I reckon.
I can't see either of these teams troubling anyone else in the comp this year.

Stranger things have happened don't think either side will challenge the title though. A big minus is that the Super Rugby B sides are so advantaged by the ability to choose 16 players fairly close to the NRC season.

Status
Not open for further replies.