• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Scott Fardy was terrible and looked completely disinterested. He spent most of the game on the wing and is either carrying an injury or a grudge. That said I'm a big fan and hope he gets back into the Wallaby squad.

Whilst I'm on my soap box, who is charged with marketing this game? To my knowledge no local junior or senior clubs where emailed trying to encourage attendance. The crowd was about 350/400 could have been 4 times that if anyone knew it was on.

That said it was a solid game with big hits, nice skills and the players deserved to have more people there.

There was more than 350 people on the hill?!?
Crowd was around 1500
Fardy was far from disinterested, just ask some of the Eagles forwards. He gave away a cheap penalty or two ( eagles scored on next possession after one) but won ball and penalties on at least half a dozen occasions.
Plenty of Rats juniors round the ground, could have been more but was hardly a bad effort.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
There was more than 350 people on the hill?!?
Crowd was around 1500
Fardy was far from disinterested, just ask some of the Eagles forwards. He gave away a cheap penalty or two ( eagles scored on next possession after one) but won ball and penalties on at least half a dozen occasions.
Plenty of Rats juniors round the ground, could have been more but was hardly a bad effort.

1500!! I was sitting on the Hill and Ill be generous and say max 550. (We actually started counting and gave up after we counted 220 in the stands so if you add 300 from the Hill that feels about right).

Fardy was certainly getting encouragement from the Hill, it was to get off the wing and do something!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Scott Fardy was terrible and looked completely disinterested. He spent most of the game on the wing and is either carrying an injury or a grudge. That said I'm a big fan and hope he gets back into the Wallaby squad.

Sometime I'm staggered by rugby fan's lack of understanding of rugby.

When you see a forward looking 'disinterested' out on the wing at a professional level, it's not because he's lazy, it's the system the team is running. Not too many sides play 'get around the corner, same way attack' football at a high level, teams are too good at folding. They play channels.

In attack, a loosey out wide that's good in contact and at off-loading can do damage. It's also good for securing those wide rucks.

In defense, there's opportunities for turn overs. Lots of under resourced rucks out wide.

Fardy often plays this role at test level too depending on what shape they're using.

People used to say the same shit about Higgers 'seagulling'. It's just the way footy is played.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.raysrugby.com.au/sydney-rays-mens-squad-starting-to-take-shape/

Manly Marlins Sam Lane, Josh Turner, Harry Bergelin, Alex Westgarth (pictured above) and James Hilterbrand have all signed on the dotted line to play for the Rays.
Huxley has been working on 2017 recruitment with Coaching Director Simon Cron and he has been pleased with the returns in what is a very competitive market.
Others to put their hand up include the Shute Shield’s leading try scorer, Paula Balekana from the Gordon club.
Guy Porter, a centre and fullback who plays for Sydney Uni, is another to agree to terms with the Rays and Huxley believes he’s ready for the next step.
The Rays will also pick up a number of players from the NSW Waratahs with players like Irae Simone, Damien Fitzpatrick, Cam Clark, Michael Wells and Bryce Hegarty assigned.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rays wider squad....... no Wells?

SQUAD
Paula Balekana
Harry Burey
Apolosi Latunipulu
Cam Clark
Tom Connor
Nick Duffy
Lawrance Hunting
Damien Fitzpatrick ©
Jack Grant
Bryce Hegarty
James Hilterbrand
Harry Jones
Harry Nucifora
Sam Lane
Kawaa Leauma
David Lolohea
Erza Luxton
Alex Perez
Angus Sinclair
Guy Porter
Angus Ryan
Rohan Saifoloi
Irae Simone
Dave McDuling
Hugh Sinclair
Alefosio Tatola
Josh Turner
Sam Kitchen
Conor Vest
Cody Walker
Alex Westgarth

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Im sure Macquarie University and Pymble Ladies College are enjoying the influx of Penrith, Souths,Easts,Canberra, Brisbane & Parramatta representatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.