• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Stars . NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Andrew Leota of Southern Districts played for them. Open to anyone in the Shute Shield who miss selection for other Sydney teams.

Don't forget Mumm, although maybe he should not play for workload reasons.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Apparently Foxtel weren't too impressed that some teams were basically club football teams. They've agreed to have the same set up this year but might change things drastically next year and you'd think the Stars will be the first to go. That explains why Mumm is back and Carter has come back from retirement. Still as bad as they were they got better at the end and I think even could have won their first game against Brisbane if they had had someone who could have tackled Kerevi, namely Tom Carter.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Carter will be out of his depth at NRC. To say Mumm came back purely for the Stars is a bit ridiculous. Stars will be better this year.

T

TOCC

Apparently Foxtel weren't too impressed that some teams were basically club football teams. They've agreed to have the same set up this year but might change things drastically next year and you'd think the Stars will be the first to go. That explains why Mumm is back and Carter has come back from retirement. .

Is this information based on an old article?
The NRC has since been included as part of SANZAR broadcast negotiations so it will be sold as a product, thus drastic changes are unlikely unless dictated in the new broadcast agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I've also heard that after this year there will be drastic changes. For one thing some clubs can't uphold the standard of NRC and on the other hand there are interested parties looking to invest in teams. There's also the success of the super rugby team supported teams v the unsupported ones. Also some teams had greater losses than they were supposed to.

Fox aren't the least bit interested in the NRC and it needs to improve dramatically in terms of quality but also viewership for them to continue to invest in it. Currently they're hbeing held in to the deal to stay in the ARU good books but thats about it.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Carter will be out of his depth at NRC. To say Mumm came back purely for the Stars is a bit ridiculous. Stars will be better this year.
Really? Carter was a starting Super Rugby player for how many years? He's head and shoulders above others in Shute Shield and he still looks very good at that level. I'd wager he'd do a lot better tackling Kerevi than Angus Roberts would.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He also retried from Super Rugby 2 years ago. He wasn't that good for Uni last year.

Absolute rubbish he's the best in the SS. His own clubman Stewart is a better 12 than him. Also Apo Latinipulu and Tom Hill.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Fox aren't the least bit interested in the NRC and it needs to improve dramatically in terms of quality but also viewership for them to continue to invest in it. Currently they're hbeing held in to the deal to stay in the ARU good books but thats about it.

Nobody who knows anything about our code could possibly expect a new competition, played by teams with no public identity and no following and playing in nondescript and similar uniforms to be an overnight success.

It will take 10 years for the NRC to build up a decent following.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Well Roberts got injured in his first attempt to tackle Kerevi last year. He's been a starting player for uni so I assume he's in the stars and therefore "NRC level" which apparently Carter is no where near. Perhaps I should collect a short list of other NRC centers and compare them to Carter. I'd guess he'd be about middle of the road. Did you see his try assist against West Harbour a month ago? West Harbour thought he was good enough to basically run 2 or 3 players at him every time they thought he'd get the ball and it worked though Carter still had a good game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We need more Tummy Carter's and Honey Badger's in the game. Regardless of how good they may or may not be, their persona helps to sell the game. And we need a lot of selling.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tom Carter has the persona of one of those guys that haters love to hate. He is a polarising presence in Sydney Club Rugby.

Vince McMahon and his minions make millions out of having some of the actors in their "wrestling" stable be bad guys that all the punters love to boo, and having the clean cut All-American hero types that just never seem to beat the bad guys. Classic British Pantomime stuff to get the crowd involved.

Rugby needs people for the punters to hate, and to love for their larrikinism, or their skillful play or whatever. It gets easy column inches and is easy for the casual watcher to identify the personality with.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Well Roberts got injured in his first attempt to tackle Kerevi last year. He's been a starting player for uni so I assume he's in the stars and therefore "NRC level" which apparently Carter is no where near. Perhaps I should collect a short list of other NRC centers and compare them to Carter. I'd guess he'd be about middle of the road. Did you see his try assist against West Harbour a month ago? West Harbour thought he was good enough to basically run 2 or 3 players at him every time they thought he'd get the ball and it worked though Carter still had a good game.

That was Michael Hodge, who was returning from 2 years of injuries, who was hurt tackling Kerevi. Angus Roberts and Carter missed most of the NRC through injury. The Stars looked better later in the season when Roberts returned from injury.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is this thread broke? Some NRC threads are up to 30+ pages. Where is all the info? All I've learned so far is that Carter is a dick. Very amusing to be able to confirm this with a simple Google. But not really what I was looking for.

Who'se on the list, potentials and greats (let's not get too hopefull on the big Skel). Come on boys, this die-hard Reds fan lives just down the road from Leichardt Oval and needs just a little tiny push to support a bunch of Mexicans.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Is this thread broke? Some NRC threads are up to 30+ pages. Where is all the info? All I've learned so far is that Carter is a dick. Very amusing to be able to confirm this with a simple Google. But not really what I was looking for.

Who'se on the list, potentials and greats (let's not get too hopefull on the big Skel). Come on boys, this die-hard Reds fan lives just down the road from Leichardt Oval and needs just a little tiny push to support a bunch of Mexicans.

the stars seem the least capable of pushing their own barrow. they have the least impressive social media presence of any of the NRC teams, they put zero effort into the game day experience, and the team got consistently beaten last season. Still, sitting on the grass in the sun at Leichhardt oval isn't a bad way to spend a saturday afternoon, and last year I got to chat to a few players too, which is nice

Status
Not open for further replies.