• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Stars . NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I'm out right now so don't have the stats but when I crunched the data the stars were behind even the official buildcorp NRC twitter and facebook rankings. Which is quite impressive to be lacking that much presence.

They didn't even follow through on their naming competiton which was of their own construction.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, Leichardt oval is a fabulous spot for rugger. Nice chatting to the guys and even got to meet Pulver.

But have to admit the public exposure is uninspiring at the moment.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It is hardly surprising that the Stars don't give a shit - the clubs associated with them have too many people who want the comp to fail, and are only there so they don't get left behind.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess the $1m winner take all rugby competition that was mooted a year or two ago based around Balmain Rugby Club and Wokka Livingstone has died a natural death.

T

TOCC

It is a real shame, because i think with Leichhardt Oval, the team has the potential to have a fantastic atmosphere and is in a catchment area which has been relatively ignored by rugby league in recent years.

edit: and on that note i googled Leichhardt to discover that the Tigers will play their 4 times in 2015.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
Leichhardt Oval is definitely the best thing going for the Stars; I went to all the home games last year including the night game versus the Rays and I think I was possibly the only person who paid to get in.

Uni this year are at least telling people the NRC is on by advertising in the game day program but when you look at what the other team such as the Rams and Rising are doing its disappointing.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm out right now so don't have the stats but when I crunched the data the stars were behind even the official buildcorp NRC twitter and facebook rankings. Which is quite impressive to be lacking that much presence.

They didn't even follow through on their naming competiton which was of their own construction.

I also think they had the lowest crowd figures, despite having probably the best ground for watching local footy. it was mostly made up of lower grade uni players and fans

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone game enough to put up a roster for the Stars?

You would imagine it would be Uni First Grade plus the non Wallaby Waratahs along with Tom Kingston and any other aspirational Shute Shielders not selected for Rays, Eagles, or Rams.

I'd expect that most of The Corporations NSW Under 20s would want to get a look in as well: McCalman, Dunbar, Fainga'a, Yassmin, Redden, Williams, Sandell (regular First Grade starter).

The big unknown will be who will be the Shute Shield players not selected by Rams, Eagles and Rays that will play for the Stars.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Plenty of the Waratahs named are not likely to be available for much of it.

Nice to see the site up.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
A lot depends on who gets selected for the World Cup squad.

If Dennis and Latu don't make the cut, they will be valuable to the Stars. They'll also probably have McCutcheon, Mumm, Weeks, Ryan, Tilse and maybe Dargaville. If they have Tom Carter, Henry Clunies-Ross and Jim Stewart as well, the Stars will probably do better this year than last.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think I was possibly the only person who paid to get in.

Not the only one. :) met Bill Pulver that night and not a bad bloke to bump into and chat with at the rugger. Didn't we have basically a Wallaby front row that night?

PS @Dunning, cheers bloke. That's the kind of stuff I am looking for. NRC down the park - woohoo!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Isn't Leichardt Oval a shit to get to though?

Nah, I just walk up the hill. ;-)

TBH is it worse than any other suburban oval? Plenty of buses on Darling Street, they join up with the ferries. Light rail comes close enough for a short walk. Or drive - parking chLlenging for the West Tigers but hardly a real problem for the Stars.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Code:
Come on boys, this die-hard Reds fan lives just down the road from Leichardt Oval and needs just a little tiny push to support a bunch of Mexicans.

Bit far to travel from Lilyfield/Rozelle to Melbourne just for a game of NRC rugger, dru. But if you did I'd be impressed. ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've stopped my two or three games a season flying to Reds games. Can't see myself doing the same to Melbourne.

Looks like Leichardt oval it is. Looking forward to the streaming.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
It may be time for Sydney University to field a stand alone NRC team. They're damaging the Shute Shield by hoarding all the talent for themselves and they are effectively an NRC team playing in suburban club rugby. Time to cut the Stars and have a Sydney Uni NRC team.

Status
Not open for further replies.