• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Yeah it looked like a good day, unfortunately I had to jet off after our first game. It lacked a sense of occasion, but the weather had a bit to do with that. Also very unimpressed by the BBQ selection- you had twelve clubs there but no option for a bacon and egg roll! Outrageous.

Agree with that. A few teething problems to be expected in the inaugural event. Perhaps next year they will have it at a venue with two fields so it can be held on one day with more games.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah. A bit hard having it in late Feb, as a lot of grounds are still off limits to rugby. But duel fields seem like a must going forward.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Any Trials? pre-season form guide?

More importantly; who's firing up the BBQ shortly and backing themselves for the best steak sandwich out there? I might not have been part of the special Mensa group known as the front row but I'll still turn up to watch some fun rugby and a good feed:D

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Any Trials? pre-season form guide?

More importantly; who's firing up the BBQ shortly and backing themselves for the best steak sandwich out there? I might not have been part of the special Mensa group known as the front row but I'll still turn up to watch some fun rugby and a good feed:D

Sydney Irish 2nds lost to Randwick 4ths on Saturday 22-17. Our firsts got walloped by about 60/70 points by Randwick 2nds. They had agreed to bring their 3rds to play the firsts but from what I understood it was their 2nds that turned up. There were a few other trials at the Canterbury grounds after our games but I didn't stay to watch.

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)
I have heard that Adam Hoyce of campbelltown harlequins is on the move to dragons feeder club illawarra? code hopper?!
Mate I think you mean Adam Choice, and I can confirm he is NOT playing League.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Mate I think you mean Adam Choice, and I can confirm he is NOT playing League.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't say anything when I first read that but I thought, "did he mean Adam Choice?" followed by "he'd be a little old wouldn't he?", I played a bit of Rugby with him during my time at the Quins as a junior and he was a year older than I.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sydney Irish 2nds lost to Randwick 4ths on Saturday 22-17. Our firsts got walloped by about 60/70 points by Randwick 2nds. They had agreed to bring their 3rds to play the firsts but from what I understood it was their 2nds that turned up. There were a few other trials at the Canterbury grounds after our games but I didn't stay to watch.

Actually Randwick thirds, although 8 of the players had higher level experience.
The wicks first and second squad were all away at Goulburn in camp.

Irish seconds were very good and organised but did not have the fitness level of Wicks.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Redfield took on Hills over the weekend. A combined 1/2s drew with their 1st Grade side and a combined 2/3 side easily accounted for their 2nd and 3rd grade sides. A step up this coming week as they take on Beecroft and Kings.

More importantly - will be interesting to see the new divisional structure unveiled tonight. Subbies have indicated that is will favour the three team clubs ... as it should.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Actually Randwick thirds, although 8 of the players had higher level experience.
The wicks first and second squad were all away at Goulburn in camp.

Irish seconds were very good and organised but did not have the fitness level of Wicks.

Ah my mistake, was impressed with the skills of the Randwick players. Some of the passes that the forwards were able to execute were very impressive.

We have our last pre season game this week against Waverly, full club trial planned but we'll see what kind of numbers 3rd grade get. More than a few lads will be playing back to back I suspect

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Mosman and Petersham trialled on Sat, didn't see much of the lower grades but am told Mosman got up in all. Petersham look a bit light on for numbers and size. They will probably suffer as the season progresses with injuries and absences.
The Mosman first grade looked well drilled and pretty sharp, just a few final passes going astray. Petersham were competitive but I think lacked a bit of size around the park. They had a couple of handy players, but not enough consistent players in all positions.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Disappointing to hear that St George have completely withdrawn from Subbies in 2014. An almighty fall given they won the 1st Grade Grand Final in Division last year. From 3 or 4 teams to none in the space of a few months is quite startling.

HarryElite

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was at the Mosman-Petersham trials. They are a pretty impressive outfit throughout the grades. Very well drilled. Mosman colts won, the 5/4s combined won, the 3/4s combined won. I think Petersham 2s got up though and the 1st was won by Mosman 2 tries to 1 with Mosman's both tries coming in last 2 mins of football. As first trials for both teams (I believe) I think both will improve over next few weeks.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Disappointing to hear that St George have completely withdrawn from Subbies in 2014. An almighty fall given they won the 1st Grade Grand Final in Division last year. From 3 or 4 teams to none in the space of a few months is quite startling.
REally? Wow, they have some very good people at that club, hopefully just a one-year sabbatical and they will be back

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Redfield took on Hills over the weekend. A combined 1/2s drew with their 1st Grade side and a combined 2/3 side easily accounted for their 2nd and 3rd grade sides. A step up this coming week as they take on Beecroft and Kings.

More importantly - will be interesting to see the new divisional structure unveiled tonight. Subbies have indicated that is will favour the three team clubs . as it should.

So anything interesting come out of the meeting? Are saints really gone for 2014? Have they got enough teams for Div 4 and 5?

bluegoldblue

Stan Wickham (3)
Reports that Michael hooper will be turning up for a couple of games for brothers, he may bring luke jones along as well. Solid rumours at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
So anything interesting come out of the meeting? Are saints really gone for 2014? Have they got enough teams for Div 4 and 5?

Still a lot of moving parts but it looks likely that there will not be a Division 4 and 5 but only a division 4. This is the right move as it rewards those clubs who have been looking to expand over the last few years but have been restricted by the competition structure. Those Div 5 teams who don't move up will play Division 6 with an option of fielding a Halligans team.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Still a lot of moving parts but it looks likely that there will not be a Division 4 and 5 but only a division 4. This is the right move as it rewards those clubs who have been looking to expand over the last few years but have been restricted by the competition structure. Those Div 5 teams who don't move up will play Division 6 with an option of fielding a Halligans team.

That's pretty big stuff. As long as Clubs that can field the sides don't suffer.

Separately (kind of) I've been thinking about why Subbies seems to be struggling so much and it finally occurred to me. The points system is killing it. With so much weight being placed on 1st grade, Clubs are diverting so much resources to the top end and forgetting about the players that actually make Subbies Rugby what it is.

St George is the perfect example. Folding after winning a championship (if rumours are true). Brothers are another case in point. Performed brilliantly at the top end but struggled miserably lower down. Newport, forfieting an entire season of 4th grade yet still fare better than Kings.

Is a single 1st grade win really worth an undefeated season for 5th grade. What does that say about how to value a Clubman?

It makes a mockery of the Subbies motto: "The Game for the Game Itself" It also creates an incentive to pay for a premiership. If Subbies a serious about removing player payments from the game, remove the incentive. By all means have 1st Grade worth more points than 4th grade to reflect the quality of play. But continue to make the 1st Grade player more important then the guy who plays for fun and grassroots rugby can kiss its already declining arse goodbye.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
That's pretty big stuff. As long as Clubs that can field the sides don't suffer.

Separately (kind of) I've been thinking about why Subbies seems to be struggling so much and it finally occurred to me. The points system is killing it. With so much weight being placed on 1st grade, Clubs are diverting so much resources to the top end and forgetting about the players that actually make Subbies Rugby what it is.

St George is the perfect example. Folding after winning a championship (if rumours are true). Brothers are another case in point. Performed brilliantly at the top end but struggled miserably lower down. Newport, forfieting an entire season of 4th grade yet still fare better than Kings.

Is a single 1st grade win really worth an undefeated season for 5th grade. What does that say about how to value a Clubman?

It makes a mockery of the Subbies motto: "The Game for the Game Itself" It also creates an incentive to pay for a premiership. If Subbies a serious about removing player payments from the game, remove the incentive. By all means have 1st Grade worth more points than 4th grade to reflect the quality of play. But continue to make the 1st Grade player more important then the guy who plays for fun and grassroots rugby can kiss its already declining arse goodbye.

I think that is true and certainly the trend across all divisions has been towards better 1st Grade sides at the expense of lower grades sides. That is not to say it is universal and you only have to look back a few years where Colleagues won every grade in their division with no player incentives.

Naturally, every club wants to win 1st Grade. It's human nature. But the balance does not be found and between that and true social grassroots rugby which is what Subbies is. The move to truly amateur status is a positive first step in this regard.

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interested in everyone's views on Div 3, with Blues moving up and St George gone. Doesn't it make this division very weak? I think we will see some poor rugby this year and some new teams in the final top 4. Here are my views

1st. Hawkesbury Valley

Club on the way up, with awesome group and lots of depth in lower grades last year.

2nd. Epping

Another club on the way up, with lots of young stars coming into grade

3rd. Waverley

Could be the team to beat, with their lower grades being right up there last year. BIG IMPROVERS!!!!!

4th. Briars

Hear they are throwing money around like it is going out of style. New players coming from. Will make top 4.

5th. Hornsby

Not hearing a lot out of Hornsby and could still make finals after making the final last year.

6th. Hills

I believe Hills have a number of new 1st grade standard players who will make Hills into a possible final side

7th. UWSH

Ag will be the team that falls away.

8th. Kings Old Boys

Need to find new player base or they will continue down the div's. IF they can, could make finals due to lack of strength in the division

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Many years ago I watched St George v Syd. Uni. and I remember a crowd-member shouting "Gourlay, you ****".

Status
Not open for further replies.